Road Cycling · Public discussion

Titanium Flamingo

Started by Zoot Katz · · Last activity · 42 posts · 900 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 April 2005
Last activity
20 April 2005
Original author
Zoot Katz
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
900
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–42 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Chalo said:
    Mark Hickey said:


    Just watch all the motorcycle shows on Discovery Channel... the
    choppers look cool, but then you see them trying to ride them at a
    slow speed, with both feet kinda duck-walking to keep it upright.
    Doesn't look like fun to me, but I suppose they're fine on the open
    road (other than an engine that can drain those puny little custom
    tanks in about 25 miles...

    Agreed. Many of the same qualities that make a chopper bicycle
    capricious and entertaining are the ones that make a moto-chopper
    tiresome and pointlessly dangerous to ride. I'm certain that they are
    both crafted in service of the same artistic impulses, but to me it
    seems that moto-choppers yield smaller benefits (playtime options),
    bigger costs (both monetary and functional), and bigger risks. I
    expect that their high costs and risks are part of the appeal for those
    who ride them.

    But if you have to ask the question, as they say, you wouldn't
    understand the answer.

    I'm a sportbike weenie from way back, but have ridden a couple of
    non-custom choppers (Yamaha Virago 1100, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Rebel
    250, Harley Bad Boy (Springer Softail)).

    The experience of riding a chopper is pretty entertaining. The Virago,
    for example, had such a mellow and torquey engine, and such easygoing
    handling, that it was possible to do a U-turn in just over a typical
    lane width. At very low speeds, you could just lean the bike over, trust
    the rheostatic throttle to keep you out of trouble, and turn until the
    peg dragged. Long-distance highway comfort is not all it could be, but
    big cruisers are fun and mellow motorcycles.

    My preference today would still be for something in the line of a light
    tourer or a nice sportbike, but I'd take a Road King for sure.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  2. Ryan Cousineau said:

    The experience of riding a chopper is pretty entertaining. The Virago,
    for example, had such a mellow and torquey engine, and such easygoing
    handling, that it was possible to do a U-turn in just over a typical
    lane width. At very low speeds, you could just lean the bike over, trust
    the rheostatic throttle to keep you out of trouble, and turn until the
    peg dragged.

    This very thing got me in trouble.

    I had just gotten rid of my Honda V65 Magna - a "boulevard cruiser"
    with slow speed handling like you describe above. Great for doing
    track stands, and weaving slowly through a parking lot.

    Then I got a BMW K100RS sport touring bike. MUCH better handling on
    the road, but a lot more nervous at very slow speeds. I just didn't
    realize how much.

    So... I went on my first "group ride" with two buddies who ride Harley
    Road Kings (didn't hear my own bike all day). Pulled into a gas
    station ('cuz they were out of gas - I was fine...). One of the
    ladies had to use the rest room Carol and I took off our gloves and
    helmets. So when the other lady pops out of the rest room wearing her
    helmet and pulling on her gloves, we scrambled to "suit up".

    It so happened that this gas station was the only one for miles, and
    happened to have probably 20 other Harleys sitting around, with the
    riders. The two Road kings were parked facing out, and I was parked
    facing in... they took off, and I had to U-turn to follow them.

    So, I cranked the bars and hit the throttle. Only on THIS bike, the
    steering stop is FAR tighter than my old Honda. I needed about 10
    more degrees to counterbalance the lean I had committed to. So of
    course, the lean grew progressively worse until I had to hit the
    brakes, put a foot down and try to keep the now
    headed-for-the-pavement bike from completing its trajectory.

    Unsuccessfully.

    If you want a lesson in humility, try dropping your BMW in front of 20
    Harley riders.

    To their credit, I did't see any of 'em laughing - I suppose they've
    all done something similar at one time or another.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.