To all contemplating deep dish bling wheels

slowfoot said:
can you guys speak about tubulars vs clinchers?

despite the problems with flatting, how much of a benefit are they?

(relative to the other quick fixes such as deep rimmed wheels, TT bars, posiitoning, etc.)

thanks

dave

There is no definitive benefit to tubulars......or clinchers. Rolling resistance data, to date, hasn't been shown to correlate to all road conditions. As far as ride quality goes, there's, again, nothing that indicates one is better than the other. Handling? It's a wash.

You can run lower pressures in tubulars, so chances of snakebiting a tubular are almost nil. I can't remember, though, the last time I had a snakebite flat with a clincher. Tubulars are almost always black, just as the gods intended them to be.

Tubulars....clinchers.....they're just different. The question of which is better is like asking which is better: hanging to the left or to the right?

alienator said:
Tubulars are almost always black, just as the gods intended them to be.
HA! :) Just like bike shorts should be! Well, they should be predominantly black...or navy. :D Man, some of the huge, bulbing arses, wrapped in bright-coloured bibs that I have to look at is sometimes too much!

531Aussie said:
HA! :) Just like bike shorts should be! Well, they should be predominantly black. :D Man, some of the huge, bulbing arses, wrapped in bright-coloured bibs that I have to look at is sometimes too much!

ROFL....that's Beach Rd for ya!....stay away Sunday if you don't wanna see some sights that will freak ya right out! :D

Hitchy said:
ROFL....that's Beach Rd for ya!....stay away Sunday if you don't wanna see some sights that will freak ya right out! :D
are you talking about yourself? What the hell are you wearing these days? :D

531Aussie said:
are you talking about yourself? What the hell are you wearing these days? :D

Nah...it's 'Around the bay'...as usual it will feature all shapes, sizes, skill levels etc of riders...I'm sure there'll be some shockers!

Hitchy said:
Nah...it's 'Around the bay'!
oh yeah. Ooops! :)

Hey, are you hookin up with Classic at Lygon Street?
I wouldn't mind riding passed to see if he's as fat as he makes out he is :p

I've noticed the race is finally at a decent time :)

531Aussie said:

You should wander up...I'll be there most of the day...got some mates riding in a couple of the support events...we could also hurl abuse at Jono in the main event! :D

Hitchy said:
You should wander up...I'll be there most of the day...got some mates riding in a couple of the support events...we could also hurl abuse at Jono in the main event! :D
will you be riding there, or drinking **** with ya mates? :p

531Aussie said:
will you be riding there, or drinking **** with ya mates? :p

Got a leave pass for the whole day...(well, that's not strictly true, i haven't told her yet :D)...doing the 'Hell Ride' early, then take in the bike expo in the Alexander gardens, then up to the crits...think the 1st one is about 11.30 or so. Probably lock the bike in the car...won't be drinking to much ****, gotta get up at 'sparrow fart' for '(not) around the bay'

ok, I might roll passed and have a look out for you, if I can get up early enough
:p

531Aussie said:

Yes, I am. jono can confirm

531Aussie said:
There's no doubt the benefits of bling wheels are way overstated by those who wanna sell them, and also by those who wanna justify their big purchase. I have 2 pairs of aero wheels (Flash-Points and Token C50As), and I can't tell any speed difference at all. Overall, I'm a little disappointed them and I reckon I might've wasted my dough.
I was wondering whether you ever gave in and bought some aero wheels. About 18 months ago you and some others provided numerous links to aero studies in this "Contributions to Aerodynamic Drag" thread below, and you concluded "Every time I think about spending big bucks on wheels, I check out heaps of aero sites, and always return to the conlcusion that it ain't worth it for just about anything other than a time-trial." I keep resisting myself.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-435735-15-1.html

On another note, I seem to recall you taking a look at those Dura Ace 7850C24 clinchers at one point. Did you ever try them?

chainstay said:
I was wondering whether you ever gave in and bought some aero wheels.
Ha ha! :) Yes I did (obviously), but I kept 'trying' not to. Here I go trying to justify myself :D......

I bought the Flash-Points off a friend for a good price. I tried them first, didn't really think much of them, so I told my mate that he could keep them. Then he rang me a month later and said, "how about $700?" I couldn't resist, because they sell new here in shops for $1500 to $2000. I raced them a bit, but I didn't like the flex.

Then, about 6 months later, my local shop had the Token C50As sitting there for about $1200, and I kept checking them out. Then, one day, the shop guy says: "Look, I'll do you a good price; just take them, and take as long as you want to pay them off". Crikey!! So I took them. As far as I could acertain, the Gigantex rims on the Tokens are the same as the Sonics* that tested very wheel on the Great Wheel Test, so that initially sparked my interest.

The Tokens are heaps stiffer than the Flash-Points, but I still prefer my 30mm alu rims for mashing out of criterium corners, and when even when the slightest wind pops up.

I haven't tired the alu Shimano wheels, but I do like the look of all the new ones with the new "angular contact" hubs. Partly because they've returned to being 9 and 10-speed compatible, so I could use them on all my bikes.

*The Sonic wheel on the Great Wheel Test list is said to be Sonic Super, but the Super isn't a 50mm rim. Apparently, the Sonics wheel tested was the Hyper.