General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tomato technique

Started by Bob Terwilliger · · Last activity · 56 posts · 738 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 April 2006
Last activity
14 April 2006
Original author
Bob Terwilliger
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
738
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–56 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  2. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Visually? You have been spoiled :-)

  3. Damsel in dis Dress <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Carol

    I always have kiwi to cleanse my palette after brunch, so many months
    ago. it's strawberry 'seeded.' kinda/sorta.

    But it's a great fruit if it's ripe (dark green) when you get them on
    your plate, imho,

    Andy

  4. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "serene (Sandra Vannoy)" wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Honestly, I think you'd need more lime juice or other acidic thing
    then. Kiwis have a sourness to them.

    Quoted message said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    To me they taste like a cross between strawberries and watermelon.

    nancy

  5. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Heh, my friend Winnie says they look like a black man's balls.
    I guess she would know.

    nancy

  6. Dave Smith said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Visually? You have been spoiled :-)

    The color's a little (lot) off, but yeah, I'm spoiled rotten!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  7. Nancy Young said:

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Heh, my friend Winnie says they look like a black man's balls.
    I guess she would know.

    They do bear a striking resemblance, don't they?

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  8. Bob Terwilliger said:

    Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
    lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
    attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
    up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.

    I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
    In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
    tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
    holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
    remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
    is being called the "fillet."

    Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before?(I
    suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
    tomatoes!)

    That seed pulpy stuff is my favorite part of the tomato!

    Quoted message said:


    Bob

    --Bryan

  9. Damsel bantered:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.

    They remind me of blueberries, taste-wise, and scrotums visually.

    Visually? You have been spoiled :-)

    The color's a little (lot) off, but yeah, I'm spoiled rotten!

    A couple took their young son for his first visit to the circus, and by
    chance their seats were next to the elephant pen. When his father left to
    buy popcorn, the boy piped up, "Mom, what's that long thing on the
    elephant?"

    "That's the elephant's trunk, dear," she replied.

    "No, not that."

    "Oh, that's the elephant's tail."

    "No, Mom. Down underneath."

    His mother blushed and said, "Oh, that's nothing."

    Pretty soon the father returned, and the mother went off to get a soda. As
    soon as she had left the boy repeated his question.

    "That's the elephant's trunk, son."

    "Dad, I know what an elephant's trunk is. The thing at the other end."

    "Oh, that's the elephant's tail."

    "No. Down there underneath."

    The father took a good look and explained, "That's the elephant's penis."

    "Dad, how come when I asked Mom, she said it was nothing?"

    The man sighed and said, "Son, I've spoiled that woman."

    Bob

  10. On 12 Apr 2006 18:25:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:

    A couple took their young son for his first visit to the circus, and by
    chance their seats were next to the elephant pen. When his father left to
    buy popcorn, the boy piped up, "Mom, what's that long thing on the
    elephant?"

    "That's the elephant's trunk, dear," she replied.

    "No, not that."

    "Oh, that's the elephant's tail."

    "No, Mom. Down underneath."

    His mother blushed and said, "Oh, that's nothing."

    Pretty soon the father returned, and the mother went off to get a soda. As
    soon as she had left the boy repeated his question.

    "That's the elephant's trunk, son."

    "Dad, I know what an elephant's trunk is. The thing at the other end."

    "Oh, that's the elephant's tail."

    "No. Down there underneath."

    The father took a good look and explained, "That's the elephant's penis."

    "Dad, how come when I asked Mom, she said it was nothing?"

    The man sighed and said, "Son, I've spoiled that woman."

    ROFLMAO!!!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  11. "serene (Sandra Vannoy)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Here it is. Notes are hers:

    Tomato-kiwi Salsa

    6 kiwi fruit
    6 tomatoes (romas work well)
    fresh cilantro bunch
    half of a small red onion
    juice of one fresh lime
    salt

    Chop up the kiwis, tomatoes and onion into small dice (be sure to peel
    the kiwis first ;-P ) Stir together. Chop cilantro and add as much or
    as little as you like (I usually add a lot, as in about half the
    bunch). Half lime and squeeze juice into mixure and stir. taste--if it
    is limey enough no need to add more--if you like more citrus add the
    juice of the rest of the lime. Salt to taste.

    Serene

    Thanks!! I'll give this one a try later this summer when I get some good
    tomatoes.

    Ms P


  12. Quoted message said:

    Yep. Sounds weird. Tastes heavenly.

    Quoted message said:

    However, don't you think replacing the kiwis by watermelon woudl be
    better? 🙂

    Honestly, I think you'd need more lime juice or other acidic thing
    then. Kiwis have a sourness to them.

    serene

    True. I really meant it as joke, but I would definitely try it.

  13. Dave Smith said:
    serene (Sandra Vannoy) said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, don't you think replacing the kiwis by watermelon woudl be
    better? 🙂

    Honestly, I think you'd need more lime juice or other acidic thing
    then. Kiwis have a sourness to them.

    I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.


    On that note: just today, on u.f.misc I said that strawberry + kiwi
    tastes like banana to me.

    Not exaclty what you're saying, but your post reminded me of that.

    There are a few other posts there regarding food combinations tasting
    like completely different thrid foods.I also often find that licorice +
    a sip of cofffee can taste smokey.

  14. Jake said:

    I also often find that licorice + a sip of cofffee can taste smokey.

    A new way to get that great BBQ flavor! Thanks, Jake!

    Bob

  15. Bob Terwilliger said:
    Jake said:

    I also often find that licorice + a sip of cofffee can taste smokey.

    A new way to get that great BBQ flavor! Thanks, Jake!

    Bob


    You mean you are going to use this in cooking?

  16. Jake seemed aghast:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also often find that licorice + a sip of cofffee can taste smokey.

    A new way to get that great BBQ flavor! Thanks, Jake!


    You mean you are going to use this in cooking?

    Well, if it leads to a smoky taste, why not? I could broil or pan-sear a
    hanger steak and serve it with a sauce made from tomatoes, onions, garlic,
    red pepper flakes, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, coffee, and licorice.

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.