Tool Kit Additions - what would you add?

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
So I just bought a Park Tool AK-37 tool kit (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=6&item=AK%2D37) for my home shop, and was wondering what additions I should make. The kit was a great starting point for the money, but was wondering what tool(s) everyone would add.

The BBT-19 bottom bracket tool I bought at the same time (for my X-type external bb) is the only "specific" tool I need at the moment, but here are a couple of my considerations to add:

- grease gun or injector (like Pedro's Syngrease w/Injector)
- torque wrench (Park's TW-1, 1/4" drive with 0-60" pounds)
- Cable Stretcher (Park's BT-2, here once you use it, you love it)

So, what tool can't you live without?

:cool:

OK, I give up. Why do you need a grease gun or injector? I can see the sense in the torque wrench (especially if you have a carbon frame), and the Cable Stretcher makes sense, but I don't know of any current bikes that have lubrication fittings or lube holes. Some old hubs had them but none of the current ones have them. Probably because they have sealed bearings.

The tool set that you have is more than complete except for one glaring ommission, I would have to have an air pump, preferrably a good floor pump. Things that would be nice but are not really needed are a good work stand and a truing stand.

kdelong said:
OK, I give up. Why do you need a grease gun or injector?
my crank bro. candy ti pedals. like to give them a cleaning once in a while.

I have the stand and pump already, those were needed before the kit :)

bikingmat81 said:
my crank bro. candy ti pedals. like to give them a cleaning once in a while.

I have the stand and pump already, those were needed before the kit :)
Sorry, I thought all nearly all cranks came with sealed bearing BBs now. As for pedals, I'm not familiar with candy ti pedals. My old Shimanos can be disassembled for cleaning and re-lubricating. In fact, I don't think that there is any other way to lube them.