Top Swing or conventional

Paul

Guest
This is probably a pretty basic question but could somebody explain the differance between a Top
Swing and a conventional front derailleur?

Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech. (28.6
mounting) but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

Many thanks

Paul.

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> could somebody explain the differance between a Top Swing and a conventional front derailleur?

In a conventional derailleur, the cage is below the clamp. Top Swing reverses that arrangement.

> Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech.

Right.

> but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

Some frames with ovalised or tapered seat tubes need one type or the other. Sometimes the position
of a bottle cage boss can prevent the use of one type or the other. Most frames can use either.

James Thomson

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is probably a pretty basic question but could somebody explain the differance between a Top
>Swing and a conventional front derailleur?
>
>Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech. (28.6
>mounting) but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

The real difference (functionally) is that you can get a conventional FD that is set up for ~48
tooth chainrings, while virtually all the bottom swings are designed for ~42. Both work fine - I
don't really have a preference about performance other than the above.