Top Swing or conventional

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    This is probably a pretty basic question but could somebody explain the differance between a Top
    Swing and a conventional front derailleur?

    Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech. (28.6
    mounting) but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

    Many thanks

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > could somebody explain the differance between a Top Swing and a conventional front derailleur?

    In a conventional derailleur, the cage is below the clamp. Top Swing reverses that arrangement.

    > Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech.

    Right.

    > but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

    Some frames with ovalised or tapered seat tubes need one type or the other. Sometimes the position
    of a bottle cage boss can prevent the use of one type or the other. Most frames can use either.

    James Thomson

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks James, that's a real help :)

    With Kind Regards, Paul

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is probably a pretty basic question but could somebody explain the differance between a Top
    >Swing and a conventional front derailleur?
    >
    >Since the cabling to my front mech. runs along the top tube I assume I need a top pull mech. (28.6
    >mounting) but I'm not sure about top swing or conventional, would either do?

    The real difference (functionally) is that you can get a conventional FD that is set up for ~48
    tooth chainrings, while virtually all the bottom swings are designed for ~42. Both work fine - I
    don't really have a preference about performance other than the above.