However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.
Thanks in advance,
- Sujai
-- [remove duplicate letters in eedduu for email address]
However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.
The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just don't have the kind of mechanical advantage with its 15 mm to do serious business with an axle nut.
That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.
--
_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------ __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________
However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.
The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just don't have the kind of mechanical advantage with its 15 mm to do serious business with an axle nut.
That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.
I'd have to agree with the last part of that. For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing. If there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are you going to be able to remove a pedal that has been on for a while. Most shops have big 'ol 18" pedal wrenches for a reason.
On the other hand, who needs to remove a pedal on the road? But a longer wrench for the axle nuts will be useful as long as you stick with nutted axles. I now use Allen-keyed skewers on my fixed gear, and basically can do everything I need with a 6mm Allen wrench.
--
David L. Johnson
__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |
For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing. If there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are you going to be able to remove a pedal that has been on for a while.
I once use my Alien to reinstall a woman's pedal that had come loose. She had them installed at an LBS the day before. She was grateful and planned to chew out the LBS at her earliest convenience.
That's the only time I had use for the 15mm wrench. -- terry morse Palo Alto, CA terrymorse.combikeOpen ↗
However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.
Looking at the picture you linked, I can't tell where the 15mm pedal wrench is. However, if it can remove pedals, which are likely to be seized on, then I'm sure it can remove an axle nut.
I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works great for pedals AND axle nuts.
I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows where I can get a couple more...
I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works great for pedals AND axle nuts.
I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows where I can get a couple more...
I've got the Park Tools HCW-6, with pedal wrench on one end, and 32 mm headset wrench on the other. It's not cheezy at all. In fact, it's been a godsend.
cheers, Tom
-- -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca
[email hidden] (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]
Quoted message said:
Rick Onanian said:
I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works great for pedals AND axle nuts.
I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows where I can get a couple more...
I've got the Park Tools HCW-6, with pedal wrench on one end, and 32 mm headset wrench on the other. It's not cheezy at all. In fact, it's been a godsend.
cheers, Tom
I have an Alien but also carry a cheap version of the Leatherman tool and a 6" adjustable wrench on long trips. I have found not everyone had quick release levers on their wheels and the alien pedal wrench doesn't give enough leverage. I carried a spare of pedals in an area where I knew the nearest bike shop was miles away and if a pedal broke I could replace.
For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing. If there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are you going to be able to remove a pedal that has been on for a while.
It's not for removing pedals, it's for putting them back on once you've had the embarrassing mishap of having it come off still connected to your shoe.
A friend gave me an Alien which is pretty nice. I haven't figure out out to use the chain tool, though. Obviously an allen wrench is used to turn it, but is there a way to remove the allen wrench or the chain tool from the Alien so it can be used?
"Fritz M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
A friend gave me an Alien which is pretty nice. I haven't figure out out to use the chain tool, though. Obviously an allen wrench is used to turn it, but is there a way to remove the allen wrench or the chain tool from the Alien so it can be used?
Your tool breaks into two pieces for this purpose. Look at the red logo on the side of the tool. See the small wire acting as a latch? Flip it open, then press the logo. This releases the two halves and they should slide apart. Now you can use your allen keys on the chain tool.
thanks everyone for your responses. am going ahead with the alien, and will get a 6" adjustable wrench as soon as i find out how inadequate the alien is :-)
- sujai
(posting from my google account, now that uiuc.edu has stopped newsgroup services in an effort to 'modernize communication' and 'save costs' - bah!)
thanks everyone for your responses. am going ahead with the alien, and will get a 6" adjustable wrench as soon as i find out how inadequate the alien is :-)
If the only reason you carry it is for your axle nuts, get a peanut-butter wrench instead (for that terminology, thank Sheldon Brown). It not only pulls your nuts, it will also remove/tighten the crank bolt, and help you get that last bit of peanut butter out of the jar.
--
David L. Johnson
__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
A friend gave me an Alien which is pretty nice. I haven't figure out out to use the chain tool, though. Obviously an allen wrench is used to turn it, but is there a way to remove the allen wrench or the chain tool from the Alien so it can be used?
RFM
The two halves split using the red button on the side. Thee is also a saftey catch you have to flip up. -- _________________________ Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.comOpen ↗