Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Topeak Joe Blow - SmartHead update

Started by Neil Brooks · · Last activity · 9 posts · 566 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 April 2005
Last activity
18 April 2005
Original author
Neil Brooks
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
566
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:

    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_024.html

    Those who criticized the JB for its slightly clunky (I'm being kind)
    valve were right . . . but at $15, this is a transformational little
    gizmo.

    Not only does the auto Presta/Schrader work seamlessly, but the
    apply/remove is smooth, quiet, and efficient. Gone are the 5-10#
    losses on removal that I'd grown accustomed to.

    Plus, having spliced the new head in on the existing hose, this bad
    boy has Shaq's reach now ;-)

    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

  2. Neil Brooks said:

    Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:

    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_024.html

    Those who criticized the JB for its slightly clunky (I'm being kind)
    valve were right . . . but at $15, this is a transformational little
    gizmo.

    Not only does the auto Presta/Schrader work seamlessly, but the
    apply/remove is smooth, quiet, and efficient. Gone are the 5-10#
    losses on removal that I'd grown accustomed to.

    Plus, having spliced the new head in on the existing hose, this bad
    boy has Shaq's reach now ;-)

    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

    You gonna bring that bad boy to tomorrow's Metric? (Or 75/7.5?!?)

    Top-off Bill

  3. Bill Sornson said:
    Neil Brooks said:

    Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:

    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_024.html

    Those who criticized the JB for its slightly clunky (I'm being kind)
    valve were right . . . but at $15, this is a transformational little
    gizmo.

    Not only does the auto Presta/Schrader work seamlessly, but the
    apply/remove is smooth, quiet, and efficient. Gone are the 5-10#
    losses on removal that I'd grown accustomed to.

    Plus, having spliced the new head in on the existing hose, this bad
    boy has Shaq's reach now ;-)

    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

    You gonna bring that bad boy to tomorrow's Metric? (Or 75/7.5?!?)

    Don't need to. Alpine's only 35 miles out. It'll reach. (Yeah, I'm
    bringin' it).

    In the immortal words of Elvis Costello . . .

    "Pump it up when you don't really need it.
    Pump it up until you can feel it."

    'scuse me while I go load a few CD's to the MP3 player (one earphone
    only . . . of course . . . .)

    Any other SoCal people doing that ride this Saturday?

    www.alpinechallenge.com

  4. Neil Brooks said:

    Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:


    (snipped)

    Quoted message said:


    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

    How robust is it? It looks like the head itself is made out of plastic,
    and I question how long its moving parts will work right before wearing
    out under the stress of releasing the pump at 100+ psi. Is the
    thumbclick lever set in plastic that will wear out and make it
    impossible to get a seal?

  5. Quoted message said:


    Neil Brooks said:

    Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:


    (snipped)

    Quoted message said:


    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

    How robust is it? It looks like the head itself is made out of plastic,
    and I question how long its moving parts will work right before wearing
    out under the stress of releasing the pump at 100+ psi. Is the
    thumbclick lever set in plastic that will wear out and make it
    impossible to get a seal?

    The lever and the valve are both decent gauge metal, as is the pin
    around which the lever swings.

    The rest of the head is high-density plastic (that looks like you
    could run it over with the car all day long without damage).

    Time will tell, but I think the SmartHead's durability should far
    exceed the OEM part, and I had no problem with the durability of it
    over about 10k miles of fills.

  6. Jeff Starr said:

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:28:35 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The lever and the valve are both decent gauge metal, as is the pin
    around which the lever swings.

    The rest of the head is high-density plastic (that looks like you
    could run it over with the car all day long without damage).

    Time will tell, but I think the SmartHead's durability should far
    exceed the OEM part, and I had no problem with the durability of it
    over about 10k miles of fills.

    Hi, I also replaced the two sided head that came with my Joe Blow
    Sport, with a Smarthead. I agree the Smarthead is a quality piece,
    that will most likely last a very long time. With the original head, I
    had to replace the o-ring that was around the lever. It wore out and
    started leaking.

    I have also been using the Digital Smarthead Gauge for a couple of
    years now, and it too, has worked flawlessly. I think Topeak makes
    some decent stuff.

    I've converted literally every floor pump I have to the Topeak
    SmartHead. It really IS the head we've all been waiting for. Yeah,
    it's kinda big and certainly ugly, but it works.

    I did have one blow up on me - the pin that serves as the lever's
    pivot worked its way out and a bunch of tiny little springs went
    flying all over the place. I never did find them all, or get it back
    together correctly (and I'm the king of reassembly). Still, I didn't
    hesitate a second in ordering another one.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. Quoted message said:


    Hi, I also replaced the two sided head that came with my Joe Blow
    Sport, with a Smarthead. I agree the Smarthead is a quality piece,
    that will most likely last a very long time. With the original head, I
    had to replace the o-ring that was around the lever. It wore out and
    started leaking.

    I have also been using the Digital Smarthead Gauge for a couple of
    years now, and it too, has worked flawlessly. I think Topeak makes
    some decent stuff.


    I did this upgrade also, because of the leaking the original 2 headed
    piece that came with the sport. I was disappointed that I had to splice it
    into the original hose, with that clamp and that other part they give you.
    I was under the impression you could screw that new hose and head directly
    into the pump, since they are both Topeak products. But after I tightened
    the clamp enough, it works fine. I don't know how the smarthead works, but
    it's a big improvement over the head that came with the pump.

  8. Callistus Valerius said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I did this upgrade also, because of the leaking the original 2 headed
    piece that came with the sport. I was disappointed that I had to splice it
    into the original hose, with that clamp and that other part they give you.
    I was under the impression you could screw that new hose and head directly
    into the pump, since they are both Topeak products. But after I tightened
    the clamp enough, it works fine. I don't know how the smarthead works, but
    it's a big improvement over the head that came with the pump.

    I too, was a little surprised that it didn't just screw on. I somehow
    swapped the fitting from the old hose to the new one. It works fine,
    the Smarthead hose is a little longer, which doesn't matter.
    I got the Smarthead on sale using a Performance 20% off online cpn
    and getting Team Performance points, so I got mine for like $10-12.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  9. I have the Topeak Joe Blow pump, and have had it for about 7 months, and I
    have had no problems, love the pump and the smart head has been great.

    "Neil Brooks" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Bought the SmartHead upgrade for my Joe Blow floor pump:

    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_024.html

    Those who criticized the JB for its slightly clunky (I'm being kind)
    valve were right . . . but at $15, this is a transformational little
    gizmo.

    Not only does the auto Presta/Schrader work seamlessly, but the
    apply/remove is smooth, quiet, and efficient. Gone are the 5-10#
    losses on removal that I'd grown accustomed to.

    Plus, having spliced the new head in on the existing hose, this bad
    boy has Shaq's reach now ;-)

    I'd now unhesitatingly recommend this pump.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.