rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Torker Unistar DX 24"

Started by 1Cube1Wheel · · Last activity · 7 posts · 763 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
2 July 2004
Last activity
3 July 2004
Original author
1Cube1Wheel
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
763
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey,
    I was looking at MUni's to buy, and was thinking of the Torker
    Unistar DX 24". There are not very many reviews for it on unicycle.com,
    so I was not sure if it was a good MUni. Will it last me a while? Can
    anyone give me a review for it? Also, i see that it can't take a 3"
    tire. Is that going to be something very significant, and mabye a
    reason not to get it?

    Jason

    --
    1Cube1Wheel - 01001101010101010110111001101001

    I'm all for bipartisianship. Ill hug your elephant if you kiss my ass.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1Cube1Wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6957
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    1Cube1Wheel <[email hidden]> wrote:
    )
    )Hey,
    )I was looking at MUni's to buy, and was thinking of the Torker
    )Unistar DX 24". There are not very many reviews for it on unicycle.com,
    )so I was not sure if it was a good MUni. Will it last me a while? Can
    )anyone give me a review for it? Also, i see that it can't take a 3"
    )tire. Is that going to be something very significant, and mabye a
    )reason not to get it?

    If MUni is your intended purpose, you don't want the Torker. It's a fine
    general-purpose cycle, but can't take a tire wide enough for serious
    trail use. At Moab, Paul Colley had to pull out his pocketknife and cut
    off all the external knobs on the Specialized 24x2.5 tire he'd bought
    in town, just to make it fit in the frame.

    You'd be a lot better off getting the KH, Nimbus, or Yuni, if MUni is going
    to be your primary use.
    -Tom

  3. IMHO

    It is not a good idea to go the cheapest route with any unicycle but
    ESPECIALLY trials and MUni. These two endeavors in particular involve
    abuse of the equipment. Jumping, dropping, etc. That'll put a lot of
    strain on cranks, welds, etc.

    If you don't spend the money for quality now, you'll spend it later
    replacing the crappy investment you just busted.

    Buy what you should, you spend:
    $$$

    Buy cheep and then replace with what you should've:
    $$ + $$$ = $$$$$

    And after all that cash outlay you'll have a good MUni and a busted POS
    for $$$$$ with a value of $$$

    It may not be necessary to go the most expensive either. My abilities
    fall somewhere in the middle. I'm harder on the equipment than some, but
    not near as distructive on it as others I see. A buddy got the same MUni
    as me and has destroyed it several times (very stiff landing technique
    on drops, I suspect)

    What is the terrain around you? How heavy are you? How is your
    technique?

    I've got a $300 Yuni.
    24 x 3.
    170 cranks.
    A smile.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

  4. Memphis Mud,

    I'm about 160 and 5' 8.5"
    I don't have a whole lot of experience yet, but I want a MUni that will
    last a while, and one where, if I ever do decide to go crazy, it will be
    able to handle it (more or less). Do you have any specific suggestions?

    --
    1Cube1Wheel - 01001101010101010110111001101001

    I'm all for bipartisianship. Ill hug your elephant if you kiss my ass.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1Cube1Wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6957
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

  5. I bought the 20" UniStar to see if I liked trials. I found out that I
    like trials and the UniStar likes trials about 1/3 as much as I do. I
    very quickly exceeded its capabilities. I'm sure the same would be true
    for a 24" MUni. I do trials stuff regularly on my KH now that would
    trash the UniStar in 10 minutes.

    At 160# you will be able to make a Suzue hub and some moderately good
    170-175mm cranks work for quite awhile unless you have a really steep
    learning curve. The hub and wheel strength of the UniStar are adequate
    for this. You will want a rugged, wide tire for serious trails but just
    riding trails won't require a Profile splined hub and crank sets. The
    UniStar wheel although strong is too narrow. The cranks on the UniStar
    are I think some cheap, short aluminum variety. They will be short
    lived.

    I believe the UniStar comes with some plastic pseudo-pinned
    pedals...that is the pins are part of the plastic mold. Those will
    become quite useless on your first serious trail ride when many of them
    get scraped off by rocks and logs.

    Bruce Dawson is in our riding group and uses a 24" UniStar for light
    trail riding. He could give you answers from experience. I would agree
    with all of those who have told you that you will need a wider frame.

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

  6. I have this one. I have since put a KH seat on it. And better
    pedals.'Yuni MUni' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=584)

    My experience is pretty limited, tho. This is the only MUni I've owned.
    Its still chugging along after 2 years. If you dump big money into this,
    you should get a lighter/stronger ride. These are welcomed attributes.

    My Yuni does OK for me.

    I do know that cheep unicycles break. It is inevitable. You don't just
    glide around on a MUni. You hop and go off drops and such. Even if you
    only go off a drop of 12 inches, you'll double the force exerted on the
    welds and components. (My math is not precice, but you get the idea.)
    Having that wide tire for shock absorption will make your equipment
    happier.

    A local club member has gotten the Beginner Yuni ($189 at Unicycle.com).
    He's just getting going and hasn't put it through too much yet, so
    ...who knows?

    I looked at unicycle.com, and there is a very nice $1200 MUni in the
    "intermediate" section. I bet it'll hold up.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

  7. Here's the one that everyone has, except for me, and they all say it's
    really good:
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=619

    Quite cheap for a good MUni, too.

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33639

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.