Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Total Newb new bike question(s)

Started by Steve · · Last activity · 7 posts · 480 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
7 May 2004
Last activity
8 May 2004
Original author
Steve
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
480
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All!

    So today my new MB came! What excitement - the first time I have ridden a
    bike for about 10 years! And my first ever MB!

    Incidentally it's a GT Avalanche 2.0 that came pre fitted with disc brakes.
    I did read a bit here, and people said that the GT's were pretty good
    beginners bikes.

    I had a few minor teething problems though - can anyone possibly help me
    iron these out?

    First ride impressions were good, but as I hadn't ridden for a *long* while,
    even 5 mins peddaling had me puffing like a billy goat! However, it was
    pretty tough - probably due to dirt tyres on asphalt I guess not helping. A
    quick flip of the bike upside down and a spin of the wheels revealed that my
    rear disc was making a 'shinging' noise - slight rub.

    Despite my adjustments, I just can't seem to eradicate it, - no matter what
    extreme I turn the little blue toothed adjustment wheel to - still a faint
    rub. It's the static side of the grabbing mechanism around the disc closest
    to the fork making contact, not the moving side - which seems easy to adjust
    by feeding it more or less brake cable. Incidentally it did provide a much
    more aggressive brake than my somewhat passive (not rubbing) front disc,
    which I rather liked, so maybe a little rubbing is tolerable in order to
    achieve this. Maybe cos it's new a little will wear away after a few miles?
    Anyone? I have no idea whether this will prove to be true...

    Also my derailleurs don't seem to adjust at all. Forgive me for not knowing
    the tech terms yet, but the three gears on the pedal work great, but the
    ones on the back mechanism; man they dont shift at all.. All I get is a
    click roughly every pedal rotation. Any pointers on what to tinker with here
    appreciated, I guess to loosen things up a little.

    Well, I suppose these are the small annoyances before you get riding. Some
    might even call it fun!

    Any help would be great!

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. "Steve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All!

    So today my new MB came! What excitement - the first time I have ridden a
    bike for about 10 years! And my first ever MB!

    Incidentally it's a GT Avalanche 2.0 that came pre fitted with disc


    brakes.

    Quoted message said:

    I did read a bit here, and people said that the GT's were pretty good
    beginners bikes.

    I had a few minor teething problems though - can anyone possibly help me
    iron these out?

    First ride impressions were good, but as I hadn't ridden for a *long*


    while,

    Quoted message said:

    even 5 mins peddaling had me puffing like a billy goat! However, it was
    pretty tough - probably due to dirt tyres on asphalt I guess not helping.


    A

    Quoted message said:

    quick flip of the bike upside down and a spin of the wheels revealed that


    my

    Quoted message said:

    rear disc was making a 'shinging' noise - slight rub.

    Despite my adjustments, I just can't seem to eradicate it, - no matter


    what

    Quoted message said:

    extreme I turn the little blue toothed adjustment wheel to - still a faint
    rub. It's the static side of the grabbing mechanism around the disc


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the fork making contact, not the moving side - which seems easy to


    adjust

    Quoted message said:

    by feeding it more or less brake cable. Incidentally it did provide a much
    more aggressive brake than my somewhat passive (not rubbing) front disc,
    which I rather liked, so maybe a little rubbing is tolerable in order to
    achieve this. Maybe cos it's new a little will wear away after a few


    miles?

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone? I have no idea whether this will prove to be true...

    Also my derailleurs don't seem to adjust at all. Forgive me for not


    knowing

    Quoted message said:

    the tech terms yet, but the three gears on the pedal work great, but the
    ones on the back mechanism; man they dont shift at all.. All I get is a
    click roughly every pedal rotation. Any pointers on what to tinker with


    here

    Quoted message said:

    appreciated, I guess to loosen things up a little.

    Well, I suppose these are the small annoyances before you get riding. Some
    might even call it fun!

    Any help would be great!

    Thanks,

    Steve


    One question. Did you buy online or at a local bike shop?

  3. Online - I know I don't get that support, but this was way too good a deal
    to
    miss. (Brand new I hasten to add). Incidentally folks, I fixed my gearing -
    the cable had come free from the frame and was seriously slack. The back
    disc is still rubbing tho, if anyone has any bright ideas...

    S.

  4. Steve said:

    Hi All!

    So today my new MB came! What excitement - the first time I have
    ridden a bike for about 10 years! And my first ever MB!

    Incidentally it's a GT Avalanche 2.0 that came pre fitted with disc
    brakes. I did read a bit here, and people said that the GT's were
    pretty good beginners bikes.

    I had a few minor teething problems though - can anyone possibly help
    me iron these out?


    <snip>

    The shop where you bought it should be able to iron these out for you. My
    LBS (Local Bike Shop) will tune it free for the first year of ownership. If
    you didn;t buy from a loca shop you should probably still take it to one and
    bring your checkbook.

    Matt


  5. Quoted message said:

    rear disc was making a 'shinging' noise - slight rub.

    Despite my adjustments, I just can't seem to eradicate it, - no matter


    what

    Quoted message said:

    extreme I turn the little blue toothed adjustment wheel to - still a faint
    rub. It's the static side of the grabbing mechanism around the disc


    closest

    Quoted message said:

    to the fork making contact, not the moving side - which seems easy to


    adjust

    Quoted message said:

    by feeding it more or less brake cable. Incidentally it did provide a much
    more aggressive brake than my somewhat passive (not rubbing) front disc,
    which I rather liked, so maybe a little rubbing is tolerable in order to
    achieve this. Maybe cos it's new a little will wear away after a few


    miles?

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone? I have no idea whether this will prove to be true...

    Download the instructions from the brake manufacturer site. Disc
    adjustments vary with different brands. You may never get it perfect. I
    worry more about stopping power than a little brake rub.

  6. "Steve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Online - I know I don't get that support, but this was way too good a deal


    to miss.

    There ya go.

    It *does* fit, right?

    Pete
    Anyway.....you'll figure it out.

  7. "Steve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All!

    Take it to a shop and pay for a tune up, a good deal online isn't much of a
    deal sometimes.

    Chris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.