General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Totally Off Topic !

Started by - · · Last activity · 43 posts · 323 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 May 2007
Last activity
7 May 2007
Original author
-
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
323
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–43 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kent said:


    "<RJ>" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    "<RJ>" wrote:
    > The State of Minnesota claims that medical claims
    > from smokers cost the taxpayers $303.7 million bucks.

    I would say that MN is giving an extremely low estimate, the actual
    costs are probably more than thrice that, that number only represents
    claims, not real costs.

    And if I asked you if you smoke and you say no I'll bet you're
    lying... RJR! LOL

    Sheldon

    But this assumes that every smokers medical expenses
    are being covered by the state !

    If that were true, people who can't afford medical insurance
    would take up smoking for the coverage ......

    I smoked back when it was a rite of passage to adulthood....
    then I quit. Haven't had a cig. in over 30 years. :o)

    It's just that more and more, I see items in the news
    that just don't make sense..

    <rj>

    Quoted message said:



    The smoking related illness is covered by insurance that you and others
    have. You are paying
    premiums that cover this. Your premiums are higher because smoking medical
    costs are covered.
    Believe me, it's not just the government. Even there, it's your taxes.

    Kent

    wouldn't it be simpler just to kill all the poor people? then we
    could turn them into fertilizer or something.

    your pal,
    blake

  2. Dave Smith said:
    Quoted post said:

    I read a newspaper bit that I'd like to share;

    The State of Minnesota claims that medical claims
    from smokers cost the taxpayers $303.7 million bucks.
    I'm puzzled.
    I've never heard of a smoker going to a doctor or hospital,
    and asking for the "state medical coverage for smokers".

    There are some pretty clever people in this newsgroup.
    How would any state arrive at these numbers ?

    A statistician once said; "What do you want the numbers to mean"

    I presume that they look at the number of cases of people with medical
    problems who smoke and who have smoking related conditions. For instance,
    if the person with lung cancer, emphysema, heart condition etc. is a
    smoker.

    I wonder if they keep similar figures for people with diabetes or obesity
    related illness and the junk food they eat.

    that's it! we'll kill all the fat people, or at least make them start
    smoking.

    your pal,
    blake

  3. blake murphy said:

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:19:27 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    They already do... do you actually think people on welfare don't
    smoke.

    And they might even be getting the government to pay for the cigarettes!

    Food stamps (or their modern debit card equivalent) can't be used for tobacco,
    but there are ways around it. I've been asked a couple of times in the
    supermarket by people if they could pay for my food with their "food stamp"
    debit card if I would give them the amount in cash afterwards. It doesn't take
    a
    genius to figure out they are trying to buy disallowed products via this
    method.

    god forbid that poor people should enjoy themselves in any way. god
    knows it's their own fault. if they smoke or drink, they must at the
    very least be sinners.

    If they want to enjoy themselves, let them do it at their own expense. The
    taxpayer shouldn't be funding their alcohol, tobacco or other such purchases.
    It's especially bad if the taxpayer gets stuck with both the cost of the tobacco
    and the cost of the resultant medical problems. There are even some who are
    effectively taking their children's food money and using it to buy illegal drugs
    for themselves.

    It's not just the poor who have scams like this. Very recently there were the
    cases of people taking their transportation allowance (Metrochecks) and
    auctioning them off on eBay. In fact, there are three for auction right now, for
    example:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150116611432

    It totally defeats the purpose of the transportation allowances, that is to get
    cars off the road. And the perpetrators are enriching themselves with ill-gotten
    income at taxpayers expense. It's pretty disgusting.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.