General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Touching The Void on CH 4

Started by Gordon · · Last activity · 52 posts · 1,279 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 November 2005
Last activity
29 November 2005
Original author
Gordon
Posts
52
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,279
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–52 of 52
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Judith <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not really enjoying it. When I saw his leg jolt and he started
    screaming, it suddenly got warm in here and I wanted to change
    channel.

    I read the book first, and must admit that I broke out in a cold sweat
    and had to put it down for a while . . .
    :-)
    --
    Gordon Harris

  2. Judith <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:24:28 +0000, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Good film.

    Yes, but it's a truly wonderful book: I felt that the film paled in
    comparison. You really should read it.

    I can't read books. It takes too long. I find other things to do.
    There must be dozens of books I am four chapters into (including one
    *you* lent me and I've started reading two others now!)

    Judith


    I read TTV in two or three long sessions, only putting it down to
    recover from the emotional exhaustion!
    Of course if you have seen the film first.... :-(
    --
    Gordon Harris

  3. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Judith <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not really enjoying it. When I saw his leg jolt and he started
    screaming, it suddenly got warm in here and I wanted to change
    channel.

    I read the book first, and must admit that I broke out in a cold sweat
    and had to put it down for a while . . .
    :-)


    I haven't seen it or read it, but I know enough of the story... I'm not
    very brave when it comes to 'suspense' things, and I'm not sure I'd be
    able to sit through the film even though I know it all works out in the
    end.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  4. Tony Buckley said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, it was good for a laugh, it's finished now, Most of them
    did really badly, but the dancer came out on top

    I didn't see it, but that result doesn't surprise me. However you
    measure it (general strength, localised strength, stamina, endurance,
    flexibility, speed etc) dancers have to be damn fit.

    Yeah. Actually, although the series has finished, I just remembered that
    they are showing slightly longer uncut versions at a later time and date, so
    if you want to see it, there may be one or two episodes left.

    It's on Channel 5 at 1:05am tonight (early tomorrow morning). Worth a look.

    Paul

  5. On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:01:41 -0000, "Bob Watkinson"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And absolutely again. I'm quite sure I coulnd't have done it, in the
    same way as I know there's no way I could have cut off my arm as Aaron
    Ralston did. I don't have that sort of determination to cling to life.

    I wonder. If you could have asked both people before their experiences,
    whether they could have done it, would they have said they could or not?


    Interesting question! If I ever get to a Jo Simpson lecture I'll ask
    him 🙂

    Wet fishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

  6. Bob Watkinson said:

    The decision that always astonishes me is the one JS made to descend
    further into the crevasse. I don't think that would have occurred to me if I
    were in that position

    I thought he made that pretty clear in the book. He couldn't go up or
    sideways - down was his only option. Since he choice was 'certain
    death' or 'almost certain death' (by going down) he chose 'almost
    certain death'. It had the added 'advantage' that when he ran out of
    rope he would die quickly rather than spending 3 or 4 terrifying nights
    dying slowly.

    I'm sure anyone there with the length of time he had to think would
    make the same decision. (of course some of us might choose to give up
    and die there).

  7. Bob Watkinson said:

    The decision that always astonishes me is the one JS made to descend
    further into the crevasse. I don't think that would have occurred to me if I
    were in that position

    I thought he made that pretty clear in the book. He couldn't go up or
    sideways - down was his only option. Since he choice was 'certain
    death' or 'almost certain death' (by going down) he chose 'almost
    certain death'. It had the added 'advantage' that when he ran out of
    rope he would die quickly rather than spending 3 or 4 terrifying nights
    dying slowly.

    I'm sure anyone there with the length of time he had to think would
    make the same decision. (of course some of us might choose to give up
    and die there).

  8. Bob Watkinson said:

    The decision that always astonishes me is the one JS made to descend
    further into the crevasse. I don't think that would have occurred to me if I
    were in that position

    I thought he made that pretty clear in the book. He couldn't go up or
    sideways - down was his only option. Since he choice was 'certain
    death' or 'almost certain death' (by going down) he chose 'almost
    certain death'. It had the added 'advantage' that when he ran out of
    rope he would die quickly rather than spending 3 or 4 terrifying nights
    dying slowly.

    I'm sure anyone there with the length of time he had to think would
    make the same decision. (of course some of us might choose to give up
    and die there).

  9. Bob Watkinson said:

    The decision that always astonishes me is the one JS made to descend
    further into the crevasse. I don't think that would have occurred to me if I
    were in that position

    I thought he made that pretty clear in the book. He couldn't go up or
    sideways - down was his only option. Since he choice was 'certain
    death' or 'almost certain death' (by going down) he chose 'almost
    certain death'. It had the added 'advantage' that when he ran out of
    rope he would die quickly rather than spending 3 or 4 terrifying nights
    dying slowly.

    I'm sure anyone there with the length of time he had to think would
    make the same decision. (of course some of us might choose to give up
    and die there).

  10. Peewiglet said:

    Excellent! You must be the only person in the whole country who hasn't
    seen it! (You weird person... ;-)

    I haven't either (still haven't) but I found the book "unputdownable"!
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  11. Mike Clark said:

    When Joe Simpson was on Desert Island discs, Sue Lawley continually
    questioned him on any religious influence on him at the time of the
    incident. He withstood the onslaught from her very well.

    It didn't seem like an onslaught to me at all. The two of them worked
    out that point rather very well. I thought that was an excellent
    programme - it triggered my buying the book!
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  12. In message <[email hidden]>

    Peewiglet said:

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:01:41 -0000, "Bob Watkinson"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And absolutely again. I'm quite sure I coulnd't have done it, in the
    same way as I know there's no way I could have cut off my arm as Aaron
    Ralston did. I don't have that sort of determination to cling to life.

    I wonder. If you could have asked both people before their experiences,
    whether they could have done it, would they have said they could or not?


    Interesting question! If I ever get to a Jo Simpson lecture I'll ask
    him 🙂

    Wet fishes,

    Joe Simpson seems to have spent his life taking chances and getting into
    tricky situations, often involving injury (to himself and others) and
    sometimes death (of close friends).

    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.