UK and Europe · Public discussion

Tour De France query.

Started by Simon Mason · · Last activity · 7 posts · 357 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
9 July 2004
Last activity
9 July 2004
Original author
Simon Mason
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
357
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Watching Eurosport's excellent coverage I have noticed riders hanging onto
    the team cars while getting drinks or chatting to the managers. Also after a
    crash riders have been drafted by the cars so that they can catch up. When
    does this constitute an abuse?

    I read that hanging onto cars was such a problem in the past that
    helicopters were used to clamp down on this, how come they can get away with
    it today?

    --
    Simon Mason
    Anlaby
    East Yorkshire.
    53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  2. Simon Mason <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Watching Eurosport's excellent coverage I have noticed riders hanging onto
    : the team cars while getting drinks or chatting to the managers. Also after a
    : crash riders have been drafted by the cars so that they can catch up. When
    : does this constitute an abuse?

    Drafting is usually ignored if it's in the caravan and after a crash/mechanical.
    Drafting if you've been dropped is frowned on.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Watching Eurosport's excellent coverage I have noticed riders hanging onto
    the team cars while getting drinks or chatting to the managers. Also after


    a

    Quoted message said:

    crash riders have been drafted by the cars so that they can catch up. When
    does this constitute an abuse?

    I read that hanging onto cars was such a problem in the past that
    helicopters were used to clamp down on this, how come they can get away


    with

    Quoted message said:

    it today?

    Its all banned but only if its spotted by the commisaire's will they be
    fined in either cash/points or both. There have been quite a few fines this
    year including the team time trial when its obvious you're goign to get
    caught but if you're a climber and not a GC contender then its worth risking
    the fine. Taking food outside the feed zones is always worth the fine really
    compared to risks of bonking- I am pretty certain the Euskatel team got
    fined for this in the last 48 hrs but with Mayo snookered, whats to lose!!!!

  4. "Willowbeauty" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:


    Its all banned but only if its spotted by the commisaire's will they be
    fined in either cash/points or both.

    I would have thought that with this being spotted on TV for everyone to
    see, it couldn't go unnoticed. In football there is a mechanism that if a
    referee doesn't spot a player say spitting at an opponent, then UEFA or FIFA
    can retrospectively fine or ban the player by viewing the video footage.

    --
    Simon M.

  5. Simon Mason said:

    Watching Eurosport's excellent coverage I have noticed riders hanging
    onto the team cars while getting drinks or chatting to the managers.
    Also after a crash riders have been drafted by the cars so that they can
    catch up. When does this constitute an abuse?
    I read that hanging onto cars was such a problem in the past that
    helicopters were used to clamp down on this, how come they can get away
    with it today?
    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Hmm, I can't give definitive answers, I think if you do it well behind
    the main field and don't abuse the privilege a blind eye will be
    turned. The old trick for a breakaway is to hand a bottle up but the
    rider and drive both hold it for a couple of seconds so the rider gets
    a short pull.

    --

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Willowbeauty" <[email hidden]> wrote


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Its all banned but only if its spotted by the commisaire's will they be
    fined in either cash/points or both.

    I would have thought that with this being spotted on TV for everyone to
    see, it couldn't go unnoticed. In football there is a mechanism that if a
    referee doesn't spot a player say spitting at an opponent, then UEFA or


    FIFA

    Quoted message said:

    can retrospectively fine or ban the player by viewing the video footage.

    Nah, thats all a bit bah humbug for the Tour really, I think the attitude of
    live and let live on the tour is good, I mean, woudl you make Lance retrace
    his steps through that field last year and come down the hill the right way
    or just let him get on with it and be grateful he's still racing. The
    commisaires frequently let riders who finish outside the time limit stay in
    the race- seem to recall it would have meant disqualifying almost the whole
    peloton on one or two occasions!

    I think they get the balance about right, going uphill, take them helmets
    off- long breakway in a small group and you puncture, get a small tow from
    your team car. The riders often share food and drink which technically
    breaks the rules, but the Tour is just a bit too big and tough to be too
    scrupulous with rules IMO.

  7. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I read that hanging onto cars was such a problem in the past that
    helicopters were used to clamp down on this, how come they can get away


    with

    Quoted message said:

    it today?

    I think hanging onto helicopters must be far more dangerous ...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.