Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Tour de France Question

Started by Charlie S. · · Last activity · 29 posts · 4,002 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 February 2004
Last activity
24 February 2004
Original author
Charlie S.
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,002
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I apologize in advance for not posting this in a road bike newsgroup. Even though I road bike more
    than mountain, I just can't relate to the suave roadie get-up many wear, nor the snotty attitude
    many of them seem to carry on their faces. I do post here from time to time, but I haven't been
    posting for some time.

    I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.

    Well anyway getting to the point. In the October 2002 edition of Bicycling magazine, someone wrote
    in complaining to the editor(s). The heading states, "Everyone Pees." Then the rest of the article
    states the following. "You crossed the line of taste with the photo of Oscar Freire urinating ("Your
    Tour de France Handbook"😉. My 3 year daughter doesn't need to see that, and most adults don't ,
    either. Brian E. Boguhn, Fremont, CA" The editor's response. "When a two-time world champion takes a
    whiz, we watch. There's gotta be something we can learn."

    I thought it was a pretty absurd response. But anyways, I am curious, from watching or reading about
    'the Tour' I realize that it's a very long race. And, these guys are drinking lots and lots of
    liquids. Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee or [censored] sometime during the race. (We've all
    experienced this from time to time on longer rides.)

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol
    is for this?

    I realize from a spectators viewpoint this happen must appear somewhat comical, but realistically
    everyone has to go sometime during a very long ride. Sometimes when I am riding on a paved trail I
    have to sneak into a wooded area to find a place to pee. It's quite an awkward experience. I imagine
    these riders are in an even more awkward position with crowds all along the Tour.

    Again, I apologize for such an off topic and possibly offensive post. (I just couldn't bring myself
    to post in a roadie ng.)

  2. Charlie S. said:


    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?


    As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb answer. When I've gotta pee, I
    stop, get off the bike and find a nice tree, rock, cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er rip,
    give a few tugs to prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts (usually fails), get back on
    the bike and keep riding. Not sure how effective that would be in the TdF, or any other road race,
    but it works for me. Bet it's much the same for the majority of the guys in this group, but I'm just
    guessing there.

    Tom (enjoys a nice view)

  3. Charlie S. said:

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    My old riding bud has gotten into road riding big time over the past couple of years. He's
    mentioned about this a few times. Oh yeah, they do that. They actually had a race that had to
    relocate because of complaints about riders whizzing on the roadside - sometimes in groups (they're
    ROADIES, after all)!

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  4. tcmedara said:
    Charlie S. said:


    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?


    As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb answer. When I've gotta pee, I
    stop, get off the bike and find a nice tree, rock, cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er
    rip, give a few tugs to prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts (usually fails), get
    back on the bike and keep riding. Not sure how effective that would be in the TdF, or any other
    road race, but it works for me. Bet it's much the same for the majority of the guys in this group,
    but I'm just guessing there.

    Tom (enjoys a nice view)

    I think you should have posted this in a roadie group if you want an answer.
    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  5. Charlie S. said:

    I apologize in advance for not posting this in a road bike newsgroup. Even though I road bike more
    than mountain, I just can't relate to the suave roadie get-up many wear, nor the snotty attitude
    many of them seem to carry on their faces. I do post here from time to time, but I haven't been
    posting for some time.

    I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.

    Well anyway getting to the point. In the October 2002 edition of Bicycling magazine, someone wrote
    in complaining to the editor(s). The heading states, "Everyone Pees." Then the rest of the article
    states the following. "You crossed the line of taste with the photo of Oscar Freire urinating
    ("Your Tour de France Handbook"😉. My 3 year daughter doesn't need to see that, and most adults
    don't , either. Brian E. Boguhn, Fremont, CA" The editor's response. "When a two-time world
    champion takes a whiz, we watch. There's gotta be something we can learn."

    I thought it was a pretty absurd response. But anyways, I am curious, from watching or reading
    about 'the Tour' I realize that it's a very long race. And, these guys are drinking lots and lots
    of liquids. Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee or [censored] sometime during the race. (We've
    all experienced this from time to time on longer rides.)

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    Sometimes the whole peleton stops. I know other methods involve rolling up a leg of their shorts,
    pulling them down, or ignoring them completely and letting it go, all while riding.

    Shawn

  6. In "]news:[email hidden],
    Charlie S. <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    It'll cost you $9.95 to find out. Chapter 39.

    arniebakercycling.comb skills training.htm ts

    Mike

  7. Charlie S. said:


    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This chick
    just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use your
    imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL

    Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  8. Charlie S. said:

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    lancearmstrong.comdcrest2

  9. De-lurking for just a bit. You might want to check out cyclingforums.comt25513.html for
    a lengthy thread with some enlightening comments on the topic.

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:
    Charlie S. said:

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the


    race?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyone have any insight what the protocol is for this?

    lancearmstrong.comdcrest2

  10. Per Elmsäter said:
    Charlie S. said:


    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
    chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
    your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL

    Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

    www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

    Bill "go ahead, click" S.

  11. Charlie S. said:


    I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.

    Good idea, throw them all out.

    Peeing is natural, I pee in my wetsuit on cold swims, keeps me warm. I've never had to pee on a
    bike, usually wait 'til the run and find a spot if there are no porta-potties around.

    On the trails everybody pees, it's natural. Carla even has some get-up that lets women pee.....like
    men, go figure.

    Peace, Bill

    The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
    an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  12. S o r n i said:


    www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

    Bill "go ahead, click" S.

    I'm so tempted, soooooo tempted. But judgement and discretion scream otherwise. What to do.....?

    Tom

  13. S o r n i said:
    Per Elmsäter said:
    Charlie S. said:

    My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
    for this?

    If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
    chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
    your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL

    Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

    www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

    Damn, I thought it was going to be tubgirl.comtubgirl.com.

    Greg

  14. G.T. said:
    S o r n i said:
    Per Elmsäter said:

    Charlie S. wrote:

    > My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
    > commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol
    > is for this?
    >

    If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
    chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
    your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL

    Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

    www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

    Damn, I thought it was going to be tubgirl.comtubgirl.com.

    Greg

    Hey, I know that trick... we used to it with a neighbor's cat and a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.
    --
    Slacker

  15. Quoted message said:

    Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee

    After watching the tour for years and wondering the same thing, I asked that very question on the
    OLN forum last year. The responses were about the same. You can either move to the rear/right of the
    peloton and roll up your shorts and let it rip on the move, or at times the entire group will stop
    and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!

    jaybird

  16. Quoted message said:

    Peeing is natural, I pee in my wetsuit on cold swims, keeps me warm. I've never had to pee on a
    bike, usually wait 'til the run and find a spot if there are no porta-potties around.

    On the trails everybody pees, it's natural. Carla even has some get-up that lets women
    pee.....like men, go figure.

    Peace, Bill

    Do I gotta whip out another Pee Pee story here... Because I got one, but unfortunately, I'm the main
    character :-(
    --
    Slacker

  17. Jaybird said:
    Quoted message said:

    Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee

    After watching the tour for years and wondering the same thing, I asked that very question on the
    OLN forum last year. The responses were about the same. You can either move to the rear/right of
    the peloton and roll up your shorts and let it rip on the move, or at times the entire group will
    stop and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!

    jaybird

    Euro Pee On Savages!
    --
    Slacker

  18. Jaybird said:

    at times the entire group will stop and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!

    They do that here too. Its not europe...its ROADIES!

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  19. Quoted message said:

    Euro Pee On Savages!

    Horrid, Europe also lacks those societies that wants to put pants on all animals in the name of
    public morality. Though 200 yrs ago or so some covered the legs on chairs and sofas so people would
    not think viscious thoughts or be led astray.

    Per lowdin.nulowdin.nu

  20. Per Löwdin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would care to
    listen :

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Euro Pee On Savages!

    Horrid, Europe also lacks those societies that wants to put pants on all animals in the name of
    public morality. Though 200 yrs ago or so some covered the legs on chairs and sofas so people
    would not think viscious thoughts or be led astray.

    Per lowdin.nulowdin.nu

    that was only 100 years ago in the Victorian era.

    penny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.