Tour de Norfolk (and Lincolnshire) Day Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Bates

Day seven: Sherringham to Norwich via North Walsham

Having not been disturbed too much by the trainline running next to last night's campsite, I have
today pitched my tent on a site between two trainlines at a location slightly south of Norwich.

I know I keep mentioning NCN1 but it really is everywhere I go. I'm not particularly following
it: It just keeps finding me. It is the cyclist' s equivalent of Barnard Star (ask any sci-fi fan
to explain).

Neither Sherringham nor Cromer could offer a substantial breakfast whilst allowing me to keep my
bike in view. Having bruised my hand trying to poke tent pegs into hard ground I bought a
lightweight mallet from the local camping shop and then trundled merrily on my way south toward
Norwich. Again I navigated mainly by signposts and I'm very glad I did. I saw something I have never
before seen: I small signpost at pedestrian/cyclist eye level that said "Quiet Lane" and depicted a
family walking along. The were also supplemented with destinations and distances. It was fantastic.
I didn't see a single car for about 5 miles.

North Walsham didn't appear to have any suitable cafe's where my bike would be within view but chap
carrying a Mavic wheel asked me if I was looking for a bike shop. I said no, but I was looking for
somewhere to eat where I could sit outside and he recommended "Butterfingers" which was an entirely
reasonable place.

I had earlier booked into a campsite at Lakenham just south of Norwich train station. Being a great
believer in integrated transport, I took the train for the second half of the journey. Chatting
with a gentleman at the station I learned that the road I had just cycled along also used to be a
train line.

My second lesson of the day was that the "Camping and Caravanning Club" originated as the "Cyclists'
Camping Club", and to this day they still have a policy that they will always do their best to
accommodate campers arriving by bike or on foot. They currently have no official links with the
Cyclists' Touring Club, but was told by the campsite manager that many of the sites will give CTC
members the discounted price normally only applicable to CCC members.

The same site will be my home tomorrow night too, and I'll attempt to find the bike shop recommended
by Helen, in order to get my worn down brake blocks replaced.

Beer tonight is from a lovely pub about 30 minutes walk away from the site. Greene King IPA for
those that are interested.

Love and headtorches from Rich x
--
Sent using an unregistered copy of RMRNews v1.02 Check out our website at http://www.rmrsoft.com/
for other high quality software for EPOC machines.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Day seven: Sherringham to Norwich via North Walsham
>
> Having not been disturbed too much by the trainline running next to last night's campsite, I have
> today pitched my tent on a site between two trainlines at a location slightly south of Norwich.
>
> I know I keep mentioning NCN1 but it really is everywhere I go. I'm not particularly following it:
> It just keeps finding me. It is the cyclist' s equivalent of Barnard Star (ask any sci-fi fan to
> explain).
>
> Neither Sherringham nor Cromer could offer a substantial breakfast whilst allowing me to keep my
> bike in view. Having bruised my hand trying to poke tent pegs into hard ground I bought a
> lightweight mallet from the local camping shop and then trundled merrily on my way south toward
> Norwich. Again I navigated mainly by signposts and I'm very glad I did. I saw something I have
> never before seen: I small signpost at pedestrian/cyclist eye level that said "Quiet Lane" and
> depicted a family walking along. The were also supplemented with destinations and distances. It
> was fantastic. I didn't see a single car for about 5 miles.
>
> North Walsham didn't appear to have any suitable cafe's where my bike would be within view but
> chap carrying a Mavic wheel asked me if I was looking for a bike shop. I said no, but I was
> looking for somewhere to eat where I could sit outside and he recommended "Butterfingers" which
> was an entirely reasonable place.
>
> I had earlier booked into a campsite at Lakenham just south of Norwich train station. Being a
> great believer in integrated transport, I took the train for the second half of the journey.
> Chatting with a gentleman at the station I learned that the road I had just cycled along also used
> to be a train line.
>
> My second lesson of the day was that the "Camping and Caravanning Club" originated as the
> "Cyclists' Camping Club", and to this day they still have a policy that they will always do their
> best to accommodate campers arriving by bike or on foot. They currently have no official links
> with the Cyclists' Touring Club, but was told by the campsite manager that many of the sites will
> give CTC members the discounted price normally only applicable to CCC members.
>
> The same site will be my home tomorrow night too, and I'll attempt to find the bike shop
> recommended by Helen, in order to get my worn down brake blocks replaced.
>
> Beer tonight is from a lovely pub about 30 minutes walk away from the site. Greene King IPA for
> those that are interested.
>
> Love and headtorches from Rich x
> --
> Sent using an unregistered copy of RMRNews v1.02 Check out our website at http://www.rmrsoft.com/
> for other high quality software for EPOC machines.

Richard, when you back from your ride I'd love to find out more about the hardware and software you
use to both upload to ngs and presumably to email other people.I have a trip planned next year and
email is far better than having a mobile ringing whilst riding or even having dinner!!!! Thx Neil

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
> I know I keep mentioning NCN1 but it really is everywhere I go. I'm not particularly following it:
> It just keeps finding me. It is the cyclist' s equivalent of Barnard's Star (ask any sci-fi fan to
> explain).

It's the fifth nearest star to the Earth, not visible to the naked eye. What SF story is it in,
HHGTTG? NCN 1 is 3 miles of my commute as well.

> Beer tonight is from a lovely pub about 30 minutes walk away from the site. Greene King IPA for
> those that are interested.

Greene King Abbot, is tastier, but a bit stronger.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Beer tonight is from a lovely pub about 30 minutes walk away from the site. Greene King IPA for
> > those that are interested.

Ummmm -- gnat's ****

> Greene King Abbot, is tastier, but a bit stronger.

Now that is a nice beer.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.