Touring pedal vs road vs MTB pedal

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
Hi guys,
I am trying to decide between staying with my road pedals and going to the MTB spd pedals with my commute/shopping/sightseeing bike.

Simply because I can walk relatively easier in the MTB shoes.

But I am concerned about the comfort during riding.

Will the A520 pedals or crank brothers pedals give a better ride as they have a wider platform?

What are your experiences with the standard MTB pedal (eg M520?)? How do they compare with SPD pedals which have wider platforms mentioned above?

Thanks

As long as you have a proper fitting stiff-soled cycling shoe, the size of the platform does not matter at all. I have used generic SPD similar to the M520 (small platform), Crank Brothers Mallets (wide platform) and Crank Brothers Eggbeaters (no platform), and they all feel the same with my full weight on the pedals.

For me, the Eggbeaters are the best pedal because of the 4-sided entry, mud-clearing ability, and the ease of clipping in and out because there is no platform.

Scotty_Dog said:
As long as you have a proper fitting stiff-soled cycling shoe, the size of the platform does not matter at all. QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I do a lot of MTBing (have done for years) the difference betweenn SPD's and a road peddle are minimal if any. As Scotty_Dog says, having a supportive base whether it be on a peddle or a good pair of shoes will do the trick.MTB shoes are as you say much easier to walk around in when off the bike. Nothing like slipping on some tiles when you are out somewhere in a pair of road shoes.

thomas_cho said:
Hi guys,
I am trying to decide between staying with my road pedals and going to the MTB spd pedals with my commute/shopping/sightseeing bike.

Will the A520 pedals or crank brothers pedals give a better ride as they have a wider platform?

What are your experiences with the standard MTB pedal (eg M520?)? How do they compare with SPD pedals which have wider platforms mentioned above?

Thanks

I have just been through the same process. I have used the SPD-SL, PD R-540 road pedals for a couple of years and like them except that the cleats stuff up totally if you walk around on roads/gravel. It only seems to take a 50m walk and clippin in becomes a problem.

As I would like to do some touring this situation is hopeless so I have just bought some SPD PD-A520 pedals and a pair of SH-MT31 shoes.

PD-A520

I have never used A 520 pedals.

The SPD cleats are recessed into the shoes and the pedals are visually very similar and feel that they have the same contact area. Have only done 40km on them with nothing alarming to report, same, same. The new shoes are just a bit more flexy to walk in but still decent support when pedalling. Its for touring not sprinting.

Was fairly hot on CB eggbeaters but after looking at them in the shop decided to stay with shimano.

You could go totally retro with rubber flat pedals and Dunlop OC Volley shoes. :)

Hope this helps

Hugh

I've used SPD for a long time now, on rides upto 400km in one day and have found them to be comfortable. Just make sure you by a good qaulity stiff shoe.

Rayzor said:
I've used SPD for a long time now, on rides upto 400km in one day and have found them to be comfortable. Just make sure you by a good qaulity stiff shoe.
Just go for the SPD's, you would be suprised how many people are going this way now. I use a specialized MTB shoe, it's got a very stiff sole and they cost about $170.

Thomas for recreational riding I tried many different pedals including PD-A520, PD-M540, PD-M520, and both my bikes are now set up with platform pedals and strapless toe clips, so I can run off the bike. :D

gclark8 said:
Thomas for recreational riding I tried many different pedals including MD-A520, PD-M540, PD-M520, and both my bikes are now set up with platform pedals and strapless toe clips so I can run off the bike. :D
MTB pedals all the way for me...

tried using road pedals but found them cumbersome to walk in, hard to get out of it tension is tightened up, easy to slip out if you turn down the tension....

Also MTB pedals are metal therefore alot of robust, you can just step on them and you clip in, none of this align your foot up to slot in like a road pedal

maybe if i was racing i might consider a road pedal otherwise, recreational riding and commuting is alot more sensible on a mtb pedals

Go with the Shimano MTB SPD pedals rather than the eggbeaters. Although I like the eggbeaters I found that the bearings are not durable enough for all the riding I do and need replacing frequently. I have now got the tough as old boots Shimano MTB SPD pedals on my road bike. Great pedals. With stiff soled MTB shoes, a very good combo.

Haven't tried egg beaters, but have both a mountain bike and road bike.

I've got the Shimano PD A520 pedals on my road bike and use Specialized Tahoe MTB shoes with them (fit me better than the Shimano shoes, more comfortable...) I've also used platform pedals with toeclips on the MTB.

No problems with the A520's. The recessed cleats are also useful on those times you have to walk the road bike a bit. I'm happy with this combo.

Thanks guys for the comments.

Years ago I used a SPD pedal / Addidas Moro combo, and was dead miserable using them. My feet just hurt during the ride.

I have been quite happy with the SPD-SL pedals. However, the road shoes are impossible to walk in. I walked for 45 min in them during one horror ride where everything went wrong. Cleats look busted, but they seem to clip in and out alright.

But I just want to go to the SPD system for ease of walking and shopping and shooting photographs.

What about the Shimano MT40 shoes? I saw them in a shop, and the sole is quite stiff. Cheers.

Thomas, I have got some $30 MTB (Giant or Repco I think- I bought them as extras) pedals on both my bikes and use strapless toeclips. You have the advantage of being able to use regular walking of running shoes so I find it a better option for recreational or commuter riding.

My bike came with toe clips, but after using clipless for so long now, I dont think i can go back to not being clipped in.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

thomas_cho said:
Hi guys,

Thanks

Thomas I have SPD's and MTB shoes on my commuter and they are fine even on longer rides. However, I want to go with a set of road shoes (cooler for summer and a road bike coming up in the near future) and hate the rocking I get with the SPD's on a road shoe. I was looking at Speedplay frogs but the crankbrothers maybe an alternative. I have asked the question on the thread about nothing less than 30 minutes ago and will relay the answer if I get one if that helps