Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

towing toddler trailer - gears

Started by Katharine & Paul · · Last activity · 8 posts · 760 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 October 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
Katharine & Paul
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
760
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
    than the 19 on normal road riding.

    I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

    What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

    Paul

  2. Katharine & Paul said:

    Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
    than the 19 on normal road riding.

    I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

    What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

    Paul

    Depends on the terrain you're in, but around my house it's pretty hilly
    and most rides with the trailer bike I get at least some use out of the
    28 (front) 26 (rear) combo, especially if my daughter is being lazy.

    DaveB

  3. Katharine & Paul said:

    Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    The correct gear is determined by your speed, since legs like a constant
    cadence of around 80rpm. Bottom gear means hill-climbing, where speed
    is directly proportional to weight, so if 19 is OK normally, 28 should
    be plenty with the trailer. Does trailer plus toddler add 50% weight?

    HTH.

  4. Katharine & Paul said:

    Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
    than the 19 on normal road riding.

    I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

    What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

    Paul

    Probably, if it's not you might be able to swap the inner chainring
    for a 39 which would give you a large range of low gears, if you're
    in Melbourne the CERES bicycle re-cycle shed provide the parts and
    know-how to do this much cheaper then a bike store.

    Cheers

    Joel

  5. Katharine & Paul said:

    Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42 front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use less
    than the 19 on normal road riding.

    I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

    What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

    Paul

    Depends on the engine and the terrain really. I use a MTB for mine but there are no really long big hills where I take it. A big hill into a strong headwind would have me looking for something lower than 42-28.

    Adam

  6. adam85 said:
    Katharine & Paul said:

    Hello all!

    Anyone tow one of these???
    Just bought one. The bike I have it hooked up to currently has 52 & 42
    front
    chainrings, and a 12-21 7 speed rear cluster.

    First ride found this to be woefully inadeqate. I normally dont use
    less
    than the 19 on normal road riding.

    I dont want to spend much money (its a pretty old road bike).

    What are some opions. Would a cluster going to 28 be enough?

    Paul

    Depends on the engine and the terrain really. I use a MTB for mine but
    there are no really long big hills where I take it. A big hill into a
    strong headwind would have me looking for something lower than 42-28.

    Adam

    --
    adam85


  7. Quoted message said:


    Probably, if it's not you might be able to swap the inner chainring
    for a 39 which would give you a large range of low gears, if you're
    in Melbourne the CERES bicycle re-cycle shed provide the parts and
    know-how to do this much cheaper then a bike store.

    In Warwick - no where near Melbourne unfortunately

    Quoted message said:


    Cheers

    Joel

  8. Does trailer plus toddler add 50% weight?

    Quoted message said:


    HTH.

    It would actually.

    I'm about 61kg.

    The Toddler is about 12kg at the moment. Trailer about 15kg

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.