Hi,
TR and photos (of clouds) posted on site below.
Regards,
Lee
________________
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Quoted message said:Hi,
TR and photos (of clouds) posted on site below.
Regards,
Lee
Did you bag any crashed aircraft ? There's a biggie very close to Higher
Shelf Stones in fact if memory serves me right, its a Super ?
Dave
Dave H said:Quoted message said:Hi,
TR and photos (of clouds) posted on site below.
Regards,
LeeDid you bag any crashed aircraft ? There's a biggie very close to Higher
Shelf Stones in fact if memory serves me right, its a Super ?
B29 on a more-or-less direct line between Higher Shelf Stones trig point and
Hern Stones. There's a lot left, but there's also a hell of a lot missing
(much like all the other wrecks). I took my kids up Sunday before last but
as the visibility was as good as Lee found it and we were lost within 50
yards of the top of Yellowslacks, an about-turn was the order of the day.
--
I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong...
Mail john rather than nospam...
Hi Lee
Thanks for the postings...I'm considering a very similiar walk in the
not to distant future...
Easiest way to the wreck is from parking on the A57 at Snake Summit.
Hardly any uphill and you can follow the PN way for most of it.
"Dave H" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Hi,
TR and photos (of clouds) posted on site below.
Regards,
LeeDid you bag any crashed aircraft ? There's a biggie very close to Higher
Shelf Stones in fact if memory serves me right, its a Super ?Dave
The guys that I bumped into found two wrecks, one on their way up to Lower
Shelf Stones, and a second directly North of Higher Shelf Stones. That must
be pretty big as the visibility was awful.
I've got sunburn today out on the Shropshire hills, I'll post a TR when I've
sorted the photos out - all 102 of them!
Cheers,
Lee
In Article <[email hidden]>,"Lee Perry"
leeperry1979(nospam)@msn.com said:The guys that I bumped into found two wrecks, one on their way up to Lower
Shelf Stones, and a second directly North of Higher Shelf Stones. That must
be pretty big as the visibility was awful.
Whilst not being an expert on the wrecks I do have a copy of Ron Colliers
Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks book 1. Well work a look if you're interested in
this stuff.
http://tinyurl.com/486lg
The B29 is the one just north of Higher Shelf Stones. There's a Lancaster
and C-47 around and commemorated on James' Thorn (SK079947), plus another
three scattered about Bleaklow. The book contains material on 57 separate
wrecks in the area.
Regards,
Richard G.
John Laird <[email hidden]> writes
Quoted message said:Dave H said:Quoted message said:Hi,
TR and photos (of clouds) posted on site below.
Regards,
LeeDid you bag any crashed aircraft ? There's a biggie very close to Higher
Shelf Stones in fact if memory serves me right, its a Super ?B29 on a more-or-less direct line between Higher Shelf Stones trig point and
Hern Stones. There's a lot left, but there's also a hell of a lot missing
(much like all the other wrecks). I took my kids up Sunday before last but
as the visibility was as good as Lee found it and we were lost within 50
yards of the top of Yellowslacks, an about-turn was the order of the day.
I have a GPS track which encircles the limits of the wreckage if you are
interested. ;-)
Well.... It was something to do when I had guided yet another companion
to the site.....
--
Gordon Harris
Lewis <[email hidden]> writes
Quoted message said:Easiest way to the wreck is from parking on the A57 at Snake Summit.
Hardly any uphill and you can follow the PN way for most of it.
150 metres NNE from the Trig point on Higher Shelf Stones
--
Gordon Harris
Richard G. <[email hidden]> writes
Quoted message said:
Whilst not being an expert on the wrecks I do have a copy of Ron Colliers
Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks book 1. Well work a look if you're interested in
this stuff.
http://tinyurl.com/486lgThe B29 is the one just north of Higher Shelf Stones. There's a Lancaster
and C-47 around and commemorated on James' Thorn (SK079947), plus another
three scattered about Bleaklow. The book contains material on 57 separate
wrecks in the area.
We found only some undercarriage plus a gear wheel from the Lancaster,
and my mate went back later to find the engine(s) from the C47 which
rolled down a steep gully. He followed them part of the way in a
similar manner!
We found part of the engine of one of the two Sabres just below The
Edge.
Many of the wrecks have either been buried or removed, or consist of a
small heap of molten aluminium and a post or plaque.
--
Gordon Harris
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.