General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR: Half way across Scotland

Started by Judith · · Last activity · 21 posts · 366 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 May 2006
Last activity
28 May 2006
Original author
Judith
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
366
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Like the saddo I am, I am logged into t'internet in a Youth Hostel
    (Killin).

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Judith

  2. Judith said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Don't worry too much about them: Roos typically comes out of any
    orienteering event (generally about an hour) with at least two, and
    they've not killed her yet! @orrible wee [censored], certainly, but
    don't get too stressed.

    Keep it going, and if things seem a bit wet and exhausting, don't
    forget that you're having fun! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. In message <[email hidden]>,
    Judith <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Like the saddo I am, I am logged into t'internet in a Youth Hostel
    (Killin).

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Judith


    Are you having fun yet?

    --
    Martin Richardson
    520/1554 Marilyns - 67% to go 60/89 Donalds - 33% to go
    61/211 Irish Hewitts - 71% to go 20/220 Corbetts - 91% to go

  4. Peter Clinch said:

    Judith wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't worry too much about them: Roos typically comes out of any
    orienteering event (generally about an hour) with at least two, and
    they've not killed her yet! @orrible wee [censored], certainly, but
    don't get too stressed.

    I'm assuming you did take them out? 🙂

    Enjoy the second half!

    Roos

  5. Roos Eisma said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    Judith wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't worry too much about them: Roos typically comes out of any
    orienteering event (generally about an hour) with at least two, and
    they've not killed her yet! @orrible wee [censored], certainly, but
    don't get too stressed.

    I'm assuming you did take them out? 🙂

    If she didn't they'd be like full hot water bottles by now 8^/

    Jim Ford

  6. Judith <[email hidden]>
    18 May 2006 12:33:49 -0700
    <news:[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Like the saddo I am, I am logged into t'internet in a Youth Hostel
    (Killin).

    takes allsorts to make the world round.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    You could always be back at work...

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Look forward to it!

    --
    Even if a mixed metaphore sings, it should be derailed.

  7. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Like the saddo I am, I am logged into t'internet in a Youth Hostel
    (Killin).

    Whoo, hello Judith!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Would some hugs and a pint of bitter help?

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Well done so far. Keep going - you can do it and we're all here
    cheering for you. Is PW with you?
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  8. "Judith" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Like the saddo I am, I am logged into t'internet in a Youth Hostel
    (Killin).

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    The TGO started saturday 6 May, methinks ? Or did you start another day ? I
    had sunshine in the north (An Teallach) on saturday, some rain in the Great
    Glen driving to Fort Bill on sunday and 8-9-10 and 11 may gorgeous sunshine
    (felt like 25 dgrC near Aviemore).
    Have fun and be proud ! You're doing it !

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  9. "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Its obviously the year for them. Both the entrants I know have phoned and
    said they've been attacked...mind you they were sat in the Dalwhinnie hotel
    drinking Whisky at time(where they had been since lunch - this was 10pm) so
    anything could be right.

    Rob

  10. Theo said:

    "Judith" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    The TGO started saturday 6 May, methinks ? Or did you start another day ? I
    had sunshine in the north (An Teallach) on saturday, some rain in the Great
    Glen driving to Fort Bill on sunday and 8-9-10 and 11 may gorgeous sunshine
    (felt like 25 dgrC near Aviemore).

    And just to add to recent Scottish weather reports: Over the 3rd to
    17th I got quite sunburnt, turned back from going up the narrow Lancet
    Edge of Sgor Iutharn due to high winds, had a fantastic thunderstorm
    one night, a couple of chilly nights down to minus 3 at 900m and didn't
    need to get my waterproofs out once. Usual mix. Oh and yes, shedloads
    of ticks waiting to pounce on you if you venture off the well worn
    paths around Glen Garry and Loch Quoich.

  11. In message <[email hidden]>,
    AndyP <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Theo said:

    "Judith" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    The TGO started saturday 6 May, methinks ? Or did you start another day ? I
    had sunshine in the north (An Teallach) on saturday, some rain in the Great
    Glen driving to Fort Bill on sunday and 8-9-10 and 11 may gorgeous sunshine
    (felt like 25 dgrC near Aviemore).

    And just to add to recent Scottish weather reports: Over the 3rd to
    17th I got quite sunburnt, turned back from going up the narrow Lancet
    Edge of Sgor Iutharn due to high winds, had a fantastic thunderstorm
    one night, a couple of chilly nights down to minus 3 at 900m and didn't
    need to get my waterproofs out once. Usual mix. Oh and yes, shedloads
    of ticks waiting to pounce on you if you venture off the well worn
    paths around Glen Garry and Loch Quoich.


    The Challenge started May 12, though some people won't have set off
    until the 14th. I was up in the north-west last weekend and it was a mix
    of sun and showers with strong winds until Sunday evening when it
    started raining. Monday it rained much of the day and the cloud was down
    to 350 metres. On the summit of Cul Mor it was +5 with winds gusting to
    30mph. I went home that evening and it has rained here in the Cairngorms
    every day since. So I guess Challengers caught the last of the good
    weather but have had stormy weather most of the time.

  12. Judith said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Well done, best of luck, hope you complete OK.

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days!

    I was only out for 2.5 hours Wednesday (Capel Fell) in the Southern
    Uplands and was drenched to the skin - hope you're doing better at
    staying dry than I did!

    Regards David.

    --
    ....99 summits this year so far
    96 new (36 Marilyns, 38 Nuttalls, 37 Wainwrights, 62 Birketts)
    3 repeats (1 Marilyn, 2 Wainwrights, 2 Birketts & 1 Nuttall)

  13. "Chris Townsend" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, AndyP
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Theo said:

    "Judith" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    > Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    > were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    > stick out of my waterproofs!

    The TGO started saturday 6 May, methinks ? Or did you start another day
    ? I
    had sunshine in the north (An Teallach) on saturday, some rain in the
    Great
    Glen driving to Fort Bill on sunday and 8-9-10 and 11 may gorgeous
    sunshine
    (felt like 25 dgrC near Aviemore).

    And just to add to recent Scottish weather reports: Over the 3rd to
    17th I got quite sunburnt, turned back from going up the narrow Lancet
    Edge of Sgor Iutharn due to high winds, had a fantastic thunderstorm
    one night, a couple of chilly nights down to minus 3 at 900m and didn't
    need to get my waterproofs out once. Usual mix. Oh and yes, shedloads
    of ticks waiting to pounce on you if you venture off the well worn
    paths around Glen Garry and Loch Quoich.


    The Challenge started May 12, though some people won't have set off until
    the 14th.

    Methinks I must have been reading an old TGO in the hostel in Camusnagaul.
    It's a shame the challengers missed all this beautifull sunshine.

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    214Fells <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    Judith said:

    I'm about half way through my walk across Scotland, on the TGO
    Challenge, and am kn*ckered. Blimey, this is hard work. My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Well done, best of luck, hope you complete OK.

    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days!

    I was only out for 2.5 hours Wednesday (Capel Fell) in the Southern
    Uplands and was drenched to the skin - hope you're doing better at
    staying dry than I did!

    Regards David.

    --
    ...99 summits this year so far
    96 new (36 Marilyns, 38 Nuttalls, 37 Wainwrights, 62 Birketts)
    3 repeats (1 Marilyn, 2 Wainwrights, 2 Birketts & 1 Nuttall)

    Keep going Judith - I know you can do it :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  15. Judith said:

    [...]

    I was shocked seeing the name of the thread but

    Quoted message said:

    Full TR on completion.

    That's the spirit! I see now I misinterpreted the headline...

    Good luck, better weather and lots of fun!

    You're much better off up there, north Wales isn't supposed to get any
    dry days before Tuesday...
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  16. W. D. Grey said:


    Keep going Judith - I know you can do it :-)
    --

    Judith (& PeeWiglet) must be nearly at the finish now.....

    The weather appears to have been very poor for this years challenger's
    - best of luck to them all.

    David.

    --
    ....101 summits this year so far
    98 new (38 Marilyns, 38 Nuttalls, 37 Wainwrights, 62 Birketts)
    3 repeats (1 Marilyn, 2 Wainwrights, 2 Birketts & 1 Nuttall)

  17. Roos Eisma said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My feet
    hurt and I've been bitten by TWO ticks.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't worry too much about them: Roos typically comes out of any
    orienteering event (generally about an hour) with at least two, and
    they've not killed her yet! @orrible wee [censored], certainly, but
    don't get too stressed.

    I'm assuming you did take them out? 🙂

    Yes, I made a mess of the first one (and had to hack its head out of
    my leg with my Leatherman!) but the one on the fleshy part of my back
    was easy to get out with the aid of mirrors, bright lights and
    tweezers.

    Nasty little b*ggers and apparently there are a lot more around than
    there used to be.

    Judith

  18. Martin Richardson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Judith


    Are you having fun yet?

    At that stage it was a masochistic sort of pleasure. I *must* be
    enjoying myself, or why else would I be here?

    Judith

  19. Fran said:
    Quoted message said:

    Beautiful scenery but it's been raining for four days! First two days
    were scorching sun. My tan stops at the top of my hands were they
    stick out of my waterproofs!

    Full TR on completion.

    Well done so far. Keep going - you can do it and we're all here
    cheering for you. Is PW with you?

    PW was one of the first people I saw on arrival at Montrose.

    Judith

  20. Judith said:

    PW was one of the first people I saw on arrival at Montrose.

    Well done, Judith ...Well done, Peewiglet

    David.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.