Track Bike & Cycle Computers?

hippy

Sep 5, 2003
Some guys fit cycle computers to their track bikes when training and I'd like to do the same.

What are the rules regarding these devices in races though?

Should I make it a temporary fit so that I can remove it for club races?

cheers

Theres no reason u cant leave it on the whole time,training and racing.A good thing is to write down the odometer reading before u start then check it again at the end of the night to see what youve clocked up.

I use my computer in training and club racing, they only make you remove the screen in opens up here in QLD.

Ive also raced in Opens with the pc still attached.I guess use it until someone tells u otherwise.Wireless ones are great as you dont have all the clutter of the wiring.

The Vetta V100 has wireless cadence. I think Specialized has one too. There is also a new computer I saw in the latest Performance catalog that has wireless speed and cadence from a single rear stay mounted sensor. I can't remember the maker right now.

Originally posted by procerus
Do any of the computers do wireless cadence yet?
I have the VEtta V100 on my road bike and yes it does have an optional wireless cadence.When you purchase the cadence kit you also receive a 2nd base so you can use the Vetta on your track and road bike.It also has temperature and 2 wheel size settings.

Originally posted by procerus
Do any of the computers do wireless cadence yet?

G'day,

I have a Polar s720 that has wireless cadence. The only problem I've struck with 'wireless' is that they go 'beserk' when there is any electrical interference around, like high voltage power lines or tram lines (Its a melbourne thing!). Other than that, I can't fault it. It also has a thing called 'mycode' which means that it only records the readings off my sensor & not your mates riding beside you!,

cheers,

Hitchy

Are you the same Hitchy posting on aus.bicycle?

I have a Polar S710 on my road bike. If I bought another mount, another speed sensor and cadence sensor, could I use it on my track bike totally wireless?

That would be Cool (capital C :))

I'm off to find out how much all those bits cost these days...

cheers guys!

Originally posted by hippy
Are you the same Hitchy posting on aus.bicycle?

I have a Polar S710 on my road bike. If I bought another mount, another speed sensor and cadence sensor, could I use it on my track bike totally wireless?

That would be Cool (capital C :))

I'm off to find out how much all those bits cost these days...

cheers guys!

G'day Hippy,

yeah...thats me. I don't know anything about the rules of track riding. If you're allowed to have this stuff on your track bike, there's no reason you can't use your S710. I have both a racing bike & a training (commuting) bike. I just purchased 2 cadence sensors & 2 speed sensors. I think they were around $100 each?...your 710 will be able to handle the inputs from 2 different bikes...the 710 is a 720 with a plastic cover rather than steel....I bought the steel one cos I'm the original 'Mr Klutz', meaning if I bought the plastic, it'd be broken by now!,

cheers,

Hitchy

I'll need another speed sensor (~$100) and maybe 2 cadence sensors (~$200) (I dont have one of these for the road bike) and another handlebar-watch mount (~$20). That's a lot of cash!

Do you know where I could get these parts cheaper than, say, cecilwalker.com.au? I've got other things to buy! :)

Worst comes to worst - I've got a couple of 'normal' speedo's lying around (no cadence or data logging though :().

cheers

Originally posted by hippy
I'll need another speed sensor (~$100) and maybe 2 cadence sensors (~$200) (I dont have one of these for the road bike) and another handlebar-watch mount (~$20). That's a lot of cash!

Do you know where I could get these parts cheaper than, say, cecilwalker.com.au? I've got other things to buy! :)

Worst comes to worst - I've got a couple of 'normal' speedo's lying around (no cadence or data logging though :().

cheers

theres a place located in melbourne that sells this stuff through the australian ebay. I think the sensors are ~ $65-70 and the mount is $16.50.

Do you really need a cadence sensor on a track bike, 9 times out of 10 you would only use 1 gear in a session, speed equals cadence.

Originally posted by PiledHigher
Do you really need a cadence sensor on a track bike, 9 times out of 10 you would only use 1 gear in a session, speed equals cadence.

You're right. I ride a Track bike on the road. I have a cadence sensor but generally only use the speed. Once you have correlated the cadence to the speed, you don't really need it any more (and you can calculate the correlation without using a cadence sensor).

Eoin

Originally posted by Lasalles
Ive also raced in Opens with the pc still attached.I guess use it until someone tells u otherwise.Wireless ones are great as you dont have all the clutter of the wiring.

You PC? must be hot up there :D

cheers

Originally posted by byron27
theres a place located in melbourne that sells this stuff through the australian ebay. I think the sensors are ~ $65-70 and the mount is $16.50.

Do you know where I can find this Polar dealer?
How reliable are they?

I've found a speed sensor for $77 on ebay (dealer in QLD) and I agree with the poster about only needing a speed sensor - never thought about that! :)
Cadence sensor might still be a nice addition to the road bike...
Does anyone know if you can view cadence while riding or if it is only accessible after on the pc afterwards?

cheers!