Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Track hub lockring threads - Mavic Ellipse - [updated]

Started by Kinky Cowboy · · Last activity · 34 posts · 5,001 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 December 2004
Last activity
11 January 2005
Original author
Kinky Cowboy
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,001
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels, and I
    don't think I have a lockring for the rear hub. The Shimano Dura Ace
    doesn't go on at all, the Miche fits and works but seems loose
    radially, although the thread pitch is obviously right the diameter
    seems about 0.5mm too big.

    Sheldon http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-z.html lists these

    English/ISO 1.32" x 24 TPI (1.32"=33.53mm)
    Campagnolo/Phil Wood 1.29" x 24 TPI (1.29"=32.77mm)
    Old French 33 mm x 1.0 mm

    Which doesn't seem to tell me about Miche or Shimano.

    Business Cycles http://www.businesscycles.com/tr-refspec.htm#hub offer
    the rather different interpretation

    33.5 mm. x 24 TPI Campagnolo, Gipiemme, Phil Wood, Miche
    1.29" x 24 TPI Shimano, Suntour, Suzue, Surly, Zipp, Corima

    [24tpi is a pitch of 1.06mm]
    [Phil Wood's own site lists 33.5mm x 24 tpi]

    Which fits my experience; the Miche 33.5x1.06 being too big for my,
    presumably 33.0x1.0 French Mavic hub, and the Dura Ace both too small
    and the wrong pitch.

    [obviously, the Miche has the wrong pitch too, but the combination of
    being over size and normal thread tolerance (backlash) means you would
    expect 4.24mm of female thread to go over 4.00mm of male thread]

    [I've now measured my Mavic hub, and it's 33.08mm over the lockring
    threads, which seems like 33.0 within the tolerance of Mavic's factory
    and my caliper. I don't have a thread guage, and with only 4 thread
    turns, it's hard to get any kind of accurate measurement]

    While I'm having a rant, what the hell is wrong with manufacturers
    actually supplying the lockrings with their hubs/wheels? Shimano hubs
    come with lockrings, but Miche sell them separately, as do Goldtec
    (boutique British hub popular with bike messengers over here), and
    Mavic seem to ignore the issue completely, neither supplying lockrings
    nor offering them as a separately purchasable accessory.

    So, who's right, what's the true thread on Mavic track hubs, and if as
    I suspect it's 33.0x1.0, does anybody know where I can get such a
    thing?

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  2. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >


    Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,
    <<<<

    Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?
    Lewis.

    ***************

  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>


    Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,
    <<<<

    Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?
    Lewis.

    ***************

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required. If they don't have it, nobody will, I got the wheels
    from Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than
    anybody else in the country. Might get my local machine shop to knock
    up a small batch and sell them through the shop which sold me the
    wheels :-)

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  4. Kinky Cowboy said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 24 Dec 2004 16:44:17 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:
    Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?

    Kinky Cowboy said:

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required. If they don't have it, nobody will, I got the wheels
    from Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than
    anybody else in the country. Might get my local machine shop to knock
    up a small batch and sell them through the shop which sold me the
    wheels :-)

    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. A Muzi said:


    Kinky Cowboy said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > On 24 Dec 2004 16:44:17 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:
    > Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?

    Kinky Cowboy said:

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required. If they don't have it, nobody will, I got the wheels
    from Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than
    anybody else in the country. Might get my local machine shop to knock
    up a small batch and sell them through the shop which sold me the
    wheels :-)

    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    According to mavic:
    Rear hub threads : Cog : 1,37 x 24 TPI Lock nut : M33 x 100 / 6G (left
    handed thread).

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >


    Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than anybody
    else in the country.
    <<<<

    Do you actually live in London (as in London, England) or did you just
    purchase the wheels from them?

    Lewis.

  7. "Kinky Cowboy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:1103973367.1b841d01f58cf5186688b1c2781824e7@teranews...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>


    Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,
    <<<<

    Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?
    Lewis.

    ***************

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required. If they don't have it, nobody will, I got the wheels
    from Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than
    anybody else in the country. Might get my local machine shop to knock
    up a small batch and sell them through the shop which sold me the
    wheels :-)


    If the dura-ace one doesn't fit, try the miche one? It's the nicest
    lockring in terms of useability, a duraace bb lockring tool fits it.

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>


    Condor in London, who probably sell more fixed wheel bikes than anybody
    else in the country.
    <<<<

    Do you actually live in London (as in London, England) or did you just
    purchase the wheels from them?

    Lewis.

    I work in London, so i tend to treat Condor as my LBS

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  9. Gemma Kernich said:


    "Kinky Cowboy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:1103973367.1b841d01f58cf5186688b1c2781824e7@teranews...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>>
    Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,
    <<<<

    Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?
    Lewis.

    ***************

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace.


    If the dura-ace one doesn't fit, try the miche one? It's the nicest
    lockring in terms of useability, a duraace bb lockring tool fits it.

    See original post; the Miche fits, but it's loose. Seems I definitely
    need the 33x1 lockring.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  10. m-gineering said:
    A Muzi said:


    Kinky Cowboy said:

    >>Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,

    Quoted message said:

    >> On 24 Dec 2004 16:44:17 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:
    >> Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?

    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    According to mavic:
    Rear hub threads : Cog : 1,37 x 24 TPI Lock nut : M33 x 100 / 6G (left
    handed thread).

    As a matter of interest, how did you get this info? Couldn't find any
    reference on the Mavic site, and the tech section is password
    restricted to dealers.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  11. On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:30:18 -0600, A Muzi <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Kinky Cowboy said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > On 24 Dec 2004 16:44:17 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:
    > Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?

    Kinky Cowboy said:

    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required.

    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    Interesting, all the Zeus I've seen seems to have been modeled on
    Campag, I'd have thought they'd have gone with the Campag 33.5x24tpi
    pattern rather than the "French Exceptionalism" 33x1.

    Anyway, I'm going back to Condor on the first working day after the
    holidays to investigate, and I think I'll do a drawing for the machine
    shop to work to while I'm at home, because I'm not optimistic.

    More weirdness from Mavic; the Ellipse wheels are 120mm over locknuts,
    but the Comete disc is listed as 110mm. I bet they use a different
    locknut thread on it too!

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  12. Kinky Cowboy said:
    m-gineering said:
    A Muzi said:


    Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    >>>Just got some of the lovely new Mavic Ellipse track wheels,

    >>> On 24 Dec 2004 16:44:17 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:
    >>> Have you tried asking the people from whom you purchased these wheels?

    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    According to mavic:
    Rear hub threads : Cog : 1,37 x 24 TPI Lock nut : M33 x 100 / 6G (left
    handed thread).

    As a matter of interest, how did you get this info? Couldn't find any
    reference on the Mavic site, and the tech section is password
    restricted to dealers.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

    Dear Kinky,

    Only a loathsome reptile without the slightest conscience
    would suggest trying mavic-com as the login and dealer as
    the password at this high-security site:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/

    Carl Fogel

  13. Quoted message said:

    Dear Kinky,

    Only a loathsome reptile without the slightest conscience
    would suggest trying mavic-com as the login and dealer as
    the password at this high-security site:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/

    Carl Fogel

    Good god! Thank heavens there are no such loathsome reptiles at r.b.t!

    Thanks, and a particularly merry Christmas to you.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Anyway, I'm going back to Condor on the first working day after the
    holidays to investigate, and I think I'll do a drawing for the machine
    shop to work to while I'm at home, because I'm not optimistic.
    <<<

    I'd be interested in seeing the drawing as I have 4 lockrings at the
    house and will be glad to see if one will work for you.
    Lewis.

    **************

  15. Kinky Cowboy said:

    Interesting, all the Zeus I've seen seems to have been modeled on
    Campag, I'd have thought they'd have gone with the Campag 33.5x24tpi
    pattern rather than the "French Exceptionalism" 33x1.

    It's true that most Zeus stuff is just cheap, inferior Campagnolo
    knockoffs.

    When they did get original, however, they often tended to copy the worst
    features of Italian and French systems.

    F'rinstance, they commonly used the French pedal threading.

    The worst was their stupid cranks, which use Italian standard size
    extractor threads, but with a 16 mm bolt head, a la Stronglight.

    This is a really nasty combination, because finding a socket that would
    fit the 16 mm bolt, that would also fit inside the smaller extractor
    threads can be VERY challenging. Basically nothing fits except their
    own super-thinwall socket.

    Merry Christmas to all...

    Sheldon "Not A Zeus Fan" Brown
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Genius may have its limitations, |
    | but stupidity is not thus handicapped. |
    | --Elbert Hubbard |
    +-------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  16. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    I asked when I bought them, and they said Dura Ace. As the wheels are
    only just in, I might well be the first person to buy a pair from that
    shop. I'll go back to them after the holidays, but I don't hold out
    too much hope that they'll have a 33x1 lockring in stock, if that's
    what's required.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]>
    If it isn't DuraAce, we have Zeus vintage Metric lockrings.

    Kinky Cowboy said:

    Interesting, all the Zeus I've seen seems to have been modeled on
    Campag, I'd have thought they'd have gone with the Campag 33.5x24tpi
    pattern rather than the "French Exceptionalism" 33x1.


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    More weirdness from Mavic; the Ellipse wheels are 120mm over locknuts,
    but the Comete disc is listed as 110mm. I bet they use a different
    locknut thread on it too!

    Besides the lockring, the Spanish standard is (was?) metric
    so Zeus complete bicycles are m35x1 BB, 22.0 quill stem in a
    25x1 fork, pedals 14mm etc. And metric frame tubes so my
    531SL Zeus used a 26.8 post.

    110 OLD at one time was the track standard. Now anything goes.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >


    Anyway, I'm going back to Condor on the first working day after the
    holidays to investigate, and I think I'll do a drawing for the machine
    shop to work to while I'm at home, because I'm not optimistic.
    <<<

    I'd be interested in seeing the drawing as I have 4 lockrings at the
    house and will be glad to see if one will work for you.
    Lewis.

    **************

    It's not just me, it's everybody who buys these wheels. If Mavic
    aren't going to get into the lockring supply business, I see an
    opportunity to make a little money on the side :-) All my favourite
    shops are offering these wheels, and none of them is offering French
    threaded lockrings.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  18. Kinky Cowboy said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>


    Anyway, I'm going back to Condor on the first working day after the
    holidays to investigate, and I think I'll do a drawing for the machine
    shop to work to while I'm at home, because I'm not optimistic.
    <<<

    I'd be interested in seeing the drawing as I have 4 lockrings at the
    house and will be glad to see if one will work for you.
    Lewis.

    **************

    It's not just me, it's everybody who buys these wheels. If Mavic
    aren't going to get into the lockring supply business, I see an
    opportunity to make a little money on the side :-) All my favourite
    shops are offering these wheels, and none of them is offering French
    threaded lockrings.

    in 90-91 the mavic lockring carried part no 520 066
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  19. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    Interesting, all the Zeus I've seen seems to have been modeled on
    Campag, I'd have thought they'd have gone with the Campag 33.5x24tpi
    pattern rather than the "French Exceptionalism" 33x1.

    Sheldon Brown said:

    It's true that most Zeus stuff is just cheap, inferior Campagnolo
    knockoffs.


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    The worst was their stupid cranks, which use Italian standard size
    extractor threads, but with a 16 mm bolt head, a la Stronglight.

    This is a really nasty combination, because finding a socket that would
    fit the 16 mm bolt, that would also fit inside the smaller extractor
    threads can be VERY challenging. Basically nothing fits except their
    own super-thinwall socket.
    Sheldon "Not A Zeus Fan" Brown

    Yes that was a singularly bad choice and Zeus sadly
    incorporated lots of other obvious blunders.

    But credit where it's due, their cold forged cranks with a
    36t capacity found a core group of loyal riders (who are
    even now hopelessly scrounging for obsolete and unique
    chainrings) in a world of 42-52.

    Zeus added simple O-ring seals to loose ball systems years
    before anyone else. Their 2000 freewheel is beautifully
    designed and executed. Headset press is far improved over
    Campagnolo's - much like a Var. I just love their forged
    2000 frame ends - Senor Arregui was at his best that day.

    Like your crazy aunt who shows up with a bottle on holidays,
    you have to grade them on their own scale - inspired design
    with fanatic quality in a few pieces, shoddy dysfunctional
    [censored] for the bulk of it, the most schizophrenic of the
    classic pro groups. Even a Frexa or Spidel bike makes more
    sense. There's probably no excuse for an all-Zeus bike.

    Andrew "finds a speck of gold in the dross" Muzi

    ps- chromed 14mm Sugino bolts fit just fine.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  20. Sheldon Brown said:

    It's true that most Zeus stuff is just cheap, inferior Campagnolo
    knockoffs.

    When they did get original, however, they often tended to copy the worst
    features of Italian and French systems.

    F'rinstance, they commonly used the French pedal threading.

    The worst was their stupid cranks, which use Italian standard size
    extractor threads, but with a 16 mm bolt head, a la Stronglight.

    This is a really nasty combination, because finding a socket that would
    fit the 16 mm bolt, that would also fit inside the smaller extractor
    threads can be VERY challenging. Basically nothing fits except their
    own super-thinwall socket.

    Park's CW-16 peanut butter wrench works fine here. And then it's no
    problem to replace the 16mm bolts with 15mm bolts, if that's what you
    prefer.

    Quoted message said:

    Merry Christmas to all...

    Sheldon "Not A Zeus Fan" Brown

    You can send me all your unwanted Zeus parts, if you like! Especially
    cranks and chainrings...

    --

    -John ([email hidden])

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.