Track hub theads munged?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Plaugher, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. I have a chance to get an old set of wheels where the rear flip flop hub has lousy threads on the
    fixed side. Supposedly the other (freewheel) side is okay. How can one tell if track threads are
    munged beyond repair? Can the threads be rethreaded? Any advice appreciated. Brian Plaugher

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a chance to get an old set of wheels where the rear flip flop hub has lousy threads on the
    > fixed side. Supposedly the other (freewheel) side is okay. How can one tell if track threads are
    > munged beyond repair? Can the threads be rethreaded? Any advice appreciated. Brian Plaugher

    I am reminded of several conversations today wherein I was asked to "unrust" equipment. Rust is
    what's left when your steel has gone away and removing the rust doesn't return a bit of steel. . .

    In the case of your hub threads, there will never be any more material than when it was new. Any
    (all?) thread damage is a _subtraction_ of aluminum and there was no extra to begin with!

    Be that as it may, _minor_ damage can be cleaned up with a die and enough thread will remain to be
    useful. Remember that every action now removes metal.

    In the case of a stripped spark plug in an aluminum head or a crank whose pedal eye is gouged out, a
    larger thread can be cut and a steel insert threaded in. The resulting piece is as good as new or
    even better. This is the exact opposite problem and no such quick fix is possible

    How much thread height is enough? You'll need to rely on an experienced technician as there isn't a
    rigid rule nor a good way to measure.

    So, find the local shop that's exerienced with bicycles and cutting tools and ask them while the hub
    is at hand.

  3. On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:48:53 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

    > How much thread height is enough? You'll need to rely on an experienced technician as there isn't
    > a rigid rule nor a good way to measure.
    >
    > So, find the local shop that's exerienced with bicycles and cutting tools and ask them while the
    > hub is at hand.

    There is another option, which would be your only option if the shop says they can't do it. Replace
    the hub -- or just the shell if you want. There are many quite inexpensive track hubs available.
    Check Sheldon's site.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy