Trailer for small child

brink

Guest
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past... I'll ask
it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking for a
bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)... I'd "tow"
it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike. Any suggestions on models
or brands? Anyone have experience with these -- likes, dislikes, things to
watch out for?

brink

On Mar 9, 5:35 am, "brink" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past...  I'll ask
> it again in case there's something new on the market.  I'm looking for a
> bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)...  I'd "tow"
> it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike.  Any suggestions on models
> or brands?  Anyone have experience with these -- likes, dislikes, thingsto
> watch out for?
>
> brink

I got a cheap (relatively) no-name brand one that seats 2:

http://www.biltema.no/products/productimage.asp?iItemId=90432

It works great. I don't see any reason to spend more (and I'm not
allergic to spending money on bike stuff).

With kids that young, I'd make sure to stay on smooth surfaces as the
ride can be jarring on bumps. For the little ones, I rolled up some
towels to make the seat fit better and give some support so there
wasn't so much slouching.

Certainly practice with a sack of potatoes or something before using
with a child. I consider myself an expert bike handler and I am very
comfortable in traffic, but I would not use a trailer like that in a
dense urban situation with kids in it.

Have fun!

Joseph

brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past... I'll ask
> it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking for a
> bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)... I'd "tow"
> it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike. Any suggestions on models
> or brands? Anyone have experience with these -- likes, dislikes, things to
> watch out for?

I second what Joseph said, particularly about safety. As to what to
get and where to get it, I'm partial to Burley trailers, particularly the
d'Lite. You can see their whole line at their web site:
http://www.burley.com
Local Bike Shops also usually have a kid-hauler or two in stock, so you
could have a look there.
Also, go to eBay and have a look. Search for "(bike,bicycle) trailer".
There are usually dozens of trailers there, and the prices are sometimes
much better than new. (Just watch out for high shipping costs.)

Bill

__o | When gas hit $3 a gallon,
[ ]___`\(,_ | People stopped asking why,
(_) (_)/ (_) | And asked, "Where can I get one?"

brink wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past... I'll
> ask it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking
> for a bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)...
> I'd "tow" it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike. Any
> suggestions on models or brands? Anyone have experience with these --
> likes, dislikes, things to watch out for?
>
> brink

Find a pre-2007 Burley d'Lite, or get the Schwinn Mark 2 (around $160),
see "http://www.babyage.com/shoppingcart.aspx?omni=42560". Add something
worth $40 to get free shipping.

Avoid the current Burley models as they lack the outer frame around the
outside of the wheel.

[email protected] wrote:
> brink <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past... I'll ask
>> it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking for a
>> bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)... I'd "tow"
>> it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike. Any suggestions on models
>> or brands? Anyone have experience with these -- likes, dislikes, things to
>> watch out for?

> I second what Joseph said, particularly about safety. As to what to
> get and where to get it, I'm partial to Burley trailers, particularly the
> d'Lite. You can see their whole line at their web site:
> http://www.burley.com
> Local Bike Shops also usually have a kid-hauler or two in stock, so you
> could have a look there.
> Also, go to eBay and have a look. Search for "(bike,bicycle) trailer".
> There are usually dozens of trailers there, and the prices are sometimes
> much better than new. (Just watch out for high shipping costs.)

The pre-2007 Burley trailers are fine, but they've decontented them now,
eliminating the outer frame around the wheel.

I'd get the Schwinn Mark II instead, or find a used Burley.

brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking for a
> bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)... I'd "tow"

Don't overlook Cycletote. I bought one used (for cargo) that was kitted out for
carrying children. Very nice rig indeed. http://cycletote.com/

bob prohaska

bob prohaska's usenet account wrote:
> brink <[email protected]> wrote:
>> it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking for a
>> bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)... I'd "tow"

> Don't overlook Cycletote. I bought one used (for cargo) that was kitted out for
> carrying children. Very nice rig indeed. http://cycletote.com/

The problem with the Cycletote is where the hitch attaches. It's much
better to have a low attachment like the Burley and the Schwinn.

SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> brink wrote:
> > I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in the past... I'll
> > ask it again in case there's something new on the market. I'm looking
> > for a bike trailer for our daughter (she's almost a year and a half)...
> > I'd "tow" it behind my Trek Navigator, a hybrid-style bike. Any
> > suggestions on models or brands? Anyone have experience with these --
> > likes, dislikes, things to watch out for?
> >
> > brink

> Find a pre-2007 Burley d'Lite, or get the Schwinn Mark 2 (around $160),
> see "http://www.babyage.com/shoppingcart.aspx?omni=42560". Add something
> worth $40 to get free shipping.

> Avoid the current Burley models as they lack the outer frame around the
> outside of the wheel.

As a Nomad owner, I realize that. But it's not a complete deal-buster.
They improved the hitch, added interior pockets (on the cargo model, at
least), and tacked on a loop for a blinkie. They're still light and
tough, though you have to check the wheels occasionally, or you could find
yourself losing one. (I speak from experience.)
One thing I really hate about my Nomad is the color: yellow and black,
yecch!
The reflectors suck, too. Way too easily broken off.
But the basic quality and workmanship is still excellent.

Bill

SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> The problem with the Cycletote is where the hitch attaches. It's much
> better to have a low attachment like the Burley and the Schwinn.

I agree, it does lead to some odd effects; when one wheel of the trailer
hits a bump, a small lateral tweak is applied to the seatpost, which of
course isn't possible on a single-track vehicle. Definitely raises a few
hairs on the back of one's neck until the novelty wears off.

That said, it's a well-made trailer. Biggest complaint I can see is that
it won't knock down very small; the minimum collapsed size is about a foot
thick by two feet by three. Too big for a small car's trunk.

Still, if one were to find such a trailer at a good price, it's a fine
piece of kit.

bob prohaska