Trainer HR vs Road HR...just nuts

fabiosav

Nov 19, 2003
When doing intervals indoors (on spin bike) I am running from base of 155 to a series of peaks 165/70. This can go on for an hour. On the road bike I seem unable to hold 160 for any time at all, and this is driving me nuts. I know the indoor trainer environment is hotter (I drip sweat) but why can I hold so much higher an HR (average and peak) indoors? I even feel more power, but no meter on the spin bike. This is not in a class (eg group ride effect, etc.) Anyone else an indoor Lance, out door slug? :confused:

I notice something simmilar. On the trainer its easy to do a constant pace, but here in maine with all the rolling hills and headwinds, they just eat at my endurance. My heartrate is usualy all over the place, trying to do a steady hr usualy peaks my hr into the 180's constantly. From a training perspective, I guess i cant complain.

Sam

I'm just the opposite. Heart rate low inside, higher outside. I just hate riding indoors anyways.

fabiosav said:
When doing intervals indoors (on spin bike) I am running from base of 155 to a series of peaks 165/70. This can go on for an hour. On the road bike I seem unable to hold 160 for any time at all, and this is driving me nuts. I know the indoor trainer environment is hotter (I drip sweat) but why can I hold so much higher an HR (average and peak) indoors? I even feel more power, but no meter on the spin bike. This is not in a class (eg group ride effect, etc.) Anyone else an indoor Lance, out door slug? :confused:
It's pretty hard to understand I know. But don't worry too much about that. Different worlds, different rules it seems.

Honnestly, it varies from one person to an other.

I had one potential explaination though for what it's worth.

You did a lot of indoor riding, on a spin bike. Your muscles have adapted to it. More work was acheived as a result of that good muscular adaptation to the specific angles of this bike.

Now, you go out, on a different bike, different angles. Your muscles will have to adapt to this new reality, before you can do as much work. Maybe you'll see your hr going up in few weeks.

Also, some riders often stop pedaling while riding outside. It doesn't take much you know. Just 10-20sec pause, once in a while, is enough to lower the heart rate.

SolarEnergy said:
Also, some riders often stop pedaling while riding outside. It doesn't take much you know. Just 10-20sec pause, once in a while, is enough to lower the heart rate.
Rolling hills make this even worse. I find that even if I'm pedalling on the descents I have to make an effort to push or else my heart rate drops 20-30 bpm. On the trainer or on the rare stretches of flat road, keeping a constant heart rate isn't a problem.

velomanct said:
I'm just the opposite. Heart rate low inside, higher outside. I just hate riding indoors anyways.

Me, too. Hard as I try, I can't get the heart rate up on my trainer. 155 bpm trashes me.

At last week's training crit, I held 170--175 for an hour straight.

Go figure.

Bob

I have both spin bike + trainer as well as my road bike ( and mountain bike)

I have no problems on either indoor bike getting my HR well and truly cranked up and for max effort sessions it's probably safer on the trainers! I hit 189 on the spin bike doing MAx HR test ( i'm 39 yrs) ( PS it wasn't fun!)

It is now heading into Winter in South Australia so will be doing more indoor riding ( a 'real cold' winters day is 10-12 degress celcius, never snows)

I am finding my indoor sessions are where i'm really training - specific and structured whereas heading out on the road or mountain bike is more of a ride for enjoyment.

Factors such as state of rest, caffine, temperature, motivation levels will have some impact on HRs acheived whether inside or on the road. You may get a better steadier work out on the spin bike due to no coasting,traffic,or stoplights

I'm with you. Indoors, I find it really hard to get above 85%, while a real good hill outdoors gets me to 90%+. I think the boredom of being indoors all winter also effected it (but maybe it was the training, as my resting heart rate also dropped a few bpms over th winter). horray for the springtime!

velomanct said: