Trainer Power vs Road Power

legs gone

Feb 17, 2003
Is Trainer Power and Road Power the same power? I find that I produce less power on the trainer that the road. I can do 230w @ 20min on the trainer vs 250w @ 20min on a dead flat road, heart rate remains the same however.Can anyone relate to this?

I've been told this from my LBS, and I've noticed the same thing, that the trainer is harder than the road. Your power will be higher outdoors than on your trainer, which is great IMO.

legs gone said:
Is Trainer Power and Road Power the same power? I find that I produce less power on the trainer that the road. I can do 230w @ 20min on the trainer vs 250w @ 20min on a dead flat road, heart rate remains the same however.Can anyone relate to this?

The power is the same it's just the demands are different. Trainer is constant resistance and you tend to overheat more.

Many, many threads on this here but for the sake of attempting to be helpful...

For anything > 90 seconds, I generate at least the same power indoors as outdoors. In fact, my 5, 20, and 60 minute PB's have all come indoors.

It wasn't always like that as just 6 months ago or so, I not only made less power indoors (than out...) but also couldn't stand to be on the trainer for more than 20 minutes at a time. The trainer was reserved for only the worst of circumstances when outdoor riding was no option. No surprise that I did poorly on it...

Circumstances ( work + winter in Northern Cal) changed all that and after riding the trainer for almost every ride, suddenly there was no power loss. In fact, come better weather and more time to ride, I didn't see a power gain outdoors as some others do. I think you truly have to commit to indoor riding frequently to maximize your potential on it...riding it 1-2x/week probably won't do. However if you only ride indoor for say 2-3 weeks, I bet you'd improve.

Many of the factor inhibiting performance on the trainer can be accounted for, although your own mental state plays a big part. You may end up with some differences regardless, but you should be able to close the gap significantly.

Check out this thread and this most excellent link as well from Alex Simmons on the subject...

DancenMacabre said:
Many, many threads on this here but for the sake of attempting to be helpful...

For anything > 90 seconds, I generate at least the same power indoors as outdoors. In fact, my 5, 20, and 60 minute PB's have all come indoors.

It wasn't always like that as just 6 months ago or so, I not only made less power indoors (than out...) but also couldn't stand to be on the trainer for more than 20 minutes at a time. The trainer was reserved for only the worst of circumstances when outdoor riding was no option. No surprise that I did poorly on it...

Circumstances ( work + winter in Northern Cal) changed all that and after riding the trainer for almost every ride, suddenly there was no power loss. In fact, come better weather and more time to ride, I didn't see a power gain outdoors as some others do. I think you truly have to commit to indoor riding frequently to maximize your potential on it...riding it 1-2x/week probably won't do. However if you only ride indoor for say 2-3 weeks, I bet you'd improve.

Dude, I am kinda new to power training so forgive any dumb questions. Are you saying that you did trainer rides >2x per wk?
Did you notice your power gains outdoors? What power gains did u get?

+1 DancenMacabre

There are lots of threads on this subject. In short, we're all a bit different. Some folks will generate more power; some less on a trainer vs. road.

Use the search function to learn why and/or look here:
AnalyticCycling.com

Dave