Cycling Training · Public discussion

Training beginner...many questions

Started by peanutzip · · Last activity · 30 posts · 4,765 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
10 October 2005
Last activity
13 October 2005
Original author
peanutzip
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,765
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To Help strenghten the lower back I recommend an exercise called the stiff leg deadlift it can also be called a romanian deadlift. To do this you stand holding a pair of dumbells or a barbell at just below waist level, arms comfortably extended, and bend at the waist till the barbell or dumbells are around knee level. You legs should be slighly bent, but they dont move throughout the exercise. Do the exercise with light weight at first and see how you feel, I also recomend asking a trainer, or someone that knows this exercise to demonstrate it before doing it with a large amount of weight.

    Here is a video demonstrating proper form.
    http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/exercisevideos/Db%20Stiff-Legged.mpg

    good luck you seem like you are on the right track.

    The discomfort you are experiencing is your body adjusting to being in the bicycling postion for so long, the exercise bikes seat probally is not helping, most are very uncomfortable. It will be better when you go outside and are distracted by scenery/having to stop at traffic crossings ect. Inside you can do a short burst/sprint (not all out, just a couple of seconds) out of the saddle every couple of minutes. A pair of cycling shorts will help, but it wont eleminate it. Riding a bicycle indoors is boring, and listing to music, watching tv or (if you can) reading a book helps. Changing your cadence also helps, do 5 mins slow, 1 min fast, then 10 mins at your comfort level (try to keep your exertion the same, go to a bigger gear (more resistance) for the slow sessions and a smaller gear (less resistance) for the faster sessions).

  2. Yeah, I've been doing deadlifts too. I started with 10 lb. dumbells and my hamstrings were pretty sore the next day, though I didn't really feel much in my lower back (other than usual nagging pain, especially when extended - I'm wondering if I should cut out the back extension machine as that could be the cause). I might go down to 5 lbs. and see if I get a similar effect, just so I'm not starting with too much.

    I guess I'll just have to deal with the discomfort of riding the stationary bike. I might try to get a pair of 4-panel shorts even if it doesn't eliminate all of it, just to help at least a little bit. It's still pretty uncomfortable, and that's only doing 1/2 hour.

  3. About the bad knees I can relate to that and I must say nutritional aproaches can help protect them. This is my daily knee maintenance regimen some of these might be right for you some may not:

    1)200mg MSM (sulfur supplement building block for cartilage)

    2)50mg Hyaluronic acid (water holding molecule for joints tendons etc)

    3)Raw Apple Cider Vinegar a teaspoon in water two or three times a day (removes uric acid crystals a byproduct of protein from joints and tendons)

    4)One Vita Lea (Shaklee multi)

    5)On a long ride day a baked potato (helps you produce hyaloronic acid)

  4. peanutzip said:

    I guess I'll just have to deal with the discomfort of riding the stationary bike. I might try to get a pair of 4-panel shorts even if it doesn't eliminate all of it, just to help at least a little bit. It's still pretty uncomfortable, and that's only doing 1/2 hour.


    Shorts will definitely help, and you'll need a couple pairs for road riding anyway (when the time comes). Unfortunately, an upright riding position (like I'd expect on a stationary bike) reduces the strain on the lower back but puts more pressure on the butt.

  5. GIFF07 said:

    To Help strenghten the lower back I recommend an exercise called the stiff leg deadlift it can also be called a romanian deadlift.

    I also recommend Romanian deadlifts or Keystone deadlifts as they are sometimes called. Be careful though as they are not really stiff legged deadlifts. Nothing like this should be done with stiff straight legs as it puts way too much pressure on the spine. Instead, think of them as "semi-stiff" legged deadlifts. They work the posterior chain very well - lumbar, hams, glutes.

  6. Thanks for the nutritional advice - anything in regular food that can help with this? (Your things sound expensive!). I've been trying to eat a lot of carbs and protein to help with muscle recovery but sometimes this is tough with dining hall food! I've been taking a multi vitamin daily to help.

    I've been looking at cycling shorts anyway, so I think I'm going to invest in a pair to help with the butt discomfort. (Any women have suggestions?) It's quite annoying but I guess I'll have to deal for the winter until I can get back outside. [img]cyclingforums.combiggrin.gif[/img]

    I definitely have noticed the deadlift working my hamstrings! They're still sore from Monday, so I lightened up my workout today (only 1/2 hour on the bike, leg extensions, hamstring pull backs, leg raises).

  7. Worth every penny and very good for hamstrings take it from a 40 year old rider we are famous for tight hams.🙂
    http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=61C3808F7B3547028C3877486288C046&PID=5191&CPID=8040&np=1

    peanutzip said:

    Thanks for the nutritional advice - anything in regular food that can help with this? (Your things sound expensive!). I've been trying to eat a lot of carbs and protein to help with muscle recovery but sometimes this is tough with dining hall food! I've been taking a multi vitamin daily to help.

    I've been looking at cycling shorts anyway, so I think I'm going to invest in a pair to help with the butt discomfort. (Any women have suggestions?) It's quite annoying but I guess I'll have to deal for the winter until I can get back outside. cyclingforums.combiggrin.gif

    I definitely have noticed the deadlift working my hamstrings! They're still sore from Monday, so I lightened up my workout today (only 1/2 hour on the bike, leg extensions, hamstring pull backs, leg raises).

  8. wiredued said:

    Worth every penny and very good for hamstrings take it from a 40 year old rider we are famous for tight hams.🙂
    puritan.comfile.asp


    Yeah, I have REALLY tight hamstrings and hips myself. I've been trying to do all the stretching I can before and after I ride, but I'm wondering what some other riders use as good all around stretches.

  9. I don't think there are many americans low on carbs or protein unless they are on some crazy diet. Even peanut butter on whole wheat bread is a complete protein.

    peanutzip said:

    Thanks for the nutritional advice - anything in regular food that can help with this? (Your things sound expensive!). I've been trying to eat a lot of carbs and protein to help with muscle recovery but sometimes this is tough with dining hall food! I've been taking a multi vitamin daily to help.

    I've been looking at cycling shorts anyway, so I think I'm going to invest in a pair to help with the butt discomfort. (Any women have suggestions?) It's quite annoying but I guess I'll have to deal for the winter until I can get back outside. cyclingforums.combiggrin.gif

    I definitely have noticed the deadlift working my hamstrings! They're still sore from Monday, so I lightened up my workout today (only 1/2 hour on the bike, leg extensions, hamstring pull backs, leg raises).

  10. If you have pain don't push it with the stretching if I keep to my hyaloronic acid regemine and no longer feel any tightness I will stretchout after a workout to increease flexability. I'm probably a little out of date with types of stretches I do stretches that I did in High School and have been corrected by my 12 year old on some technique changes since then so if no one throws you a link I'm sure a google search would be helpful.

    peanutzip said:

    Yeah, I have REALLY tight hamstrings and hips myself. I've been trying to do all the stretching I can before and after I ride, but I'm wondering what some other riders use as good all around stretches.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.