training for the scratch race, points race and 2000 metre pursuit

kristian001

Oct 25, 2010
hi.
my first thread on this forum and pretty newish to track racing.
So i was just wandering what sort of training i would need for these events.
i have been doing some 30 seconds on 30 seconds off on the rollers about 10 times and after that i find i cannot do any more at all but if i do them on the turbo its much easier for some reason. i have also been doing some bits on the road like get upto 30mph -32mph and just bury myself for about a minute and then rest for about 5-10 mins and then do it again. i know this is incredibly unstructured but it got me an win in the inter regional scratch race hwere it was pretty much an national race which had all the top guys in it so i think if i get a decent training plan going i could do alot better. my dad is going to get an slow motorbike to do some pacing at over 30mph for some speed work aswell. what would you guys reccomend considering i am 15 and only a first year under 16. also i may consider lightish weights if it will help.
kristian

First thing is get fit for track. Cycling is an aerobic sport, build the aerobic engine through hard tempo rides and when you can ride at a good hard tempo for 90-120min progress to threshold efforts.

M: Rest
T: 60-120min Hard Tempo
W: 2 hour basic endurance
T: 60-120min Hard Tempo
F: 60min light
S: 60-120min Hard Tempo or Road Race
S: 2-3 hour basic endurance

then

T: 2 x 20min at long time trial pace
W: 2 hour basic endurance
T: 2 x 20min at long time trial pace
S: 2 x 20min or Road Race
S: 2-3 hour basic endurance

From here you will be prepared to recover from the high intensity nature of track cycling.

T: 5 x 5min at short TT pace
W: 2 hour basic endurance ride
T: 5 x 5min at short TT pace
S: 5 X 5min or Road Race or Track Racing
S: 2-3 hour basic endurance ride

Building up to a championship you would do some sharpening work

T: ST Power 3-5 x 500m from Seated, Standing, Rolling and Flying Start
-Flying start can be coming off the motorbike at 55-60kph
W: 2 hours basic endurance pace
T: Pursuit Training 2-4 x 1500m Standing or Flying Start aiming for even laps
-If pursuit speed is the issue consider using the motorbike to do 2 laps on 2 laps behind the bike at 45-50kph
-If speed is good then do the efforts alone and really work on the pacing
F: 60min Light
S: Points Race Intervals, Criteriums, or Track Racing
-Points Race Intervals: 10 x 2:30 tempo then 30sec progressive effort to max. This can be done on erg, alone on track, with a group or with a motorbike
S: 2-3 hours basic endurance ride

Biggest mistake I see is riders starting their speed work too far out from the goal event. I think it is more psychological than anything flogging yourself like you need to to develop anaerobic capacity.

Good luck!