Training in the Rain

Do you train in the rain?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 242 100.0%

• Total voters
ric_stern/RST said:
In 'normal' air (i.e., not raining) there's already plenty of oxygen -- in fact your body takes in more than it needs -- it just can't utilise all the O2. O2 utilisation being the limiting factor in endurance cycling.

the reasons that you go faster in the rain, are probably related to (a slightly) reduced rolling resistance between the tyres and the road and i'm pretty sure the air density decreases, reducing air drag. also, in my case, i ride harder so i don't get so wet -- it's good motivation!!

Ric

Assuming your going the same distance, going faster makes you more wet. You take up more space. and yes even though you spend more time in the rain going slower, you still get less wet than going faster.

ItsikH said:
My frame *is* steel:( . What should I do?
You should coat the inside of the tubes with Weigel frame saver every couple of years. This will help prevent corrosion. You also need to grease your seatpost every couple of months. At least once a year, preferably early spring, take the bike to a LBS and have it completley overhauled with new bearings and grease. Riding in the rain can eat your frame if left unattended. Steel is a lot more work than other materials, but if you love the feel, its worth it. www.the-bike-shop.com/training

bikeshop said:
You should coat the inside of the tubes with Weigel frame saver every couple of years. This will help prevent corrosion. You also need to grease your seatpost every couple of months. At least once a year, preferably early spring, take the bike to a LBS and have it completley overhauled with new bearings and grease. Riding in the rain can eat your frame if left unattended. Steel is a lot more work than other materials, but if you love the feel, its worth it. www.the-bike-shop.com/training
Thanks. I do love steel, had it all my life, but my next bike is probably going to be carbon. Time to change and try new things...

I used my utility mtn bike in the rain and forgot to clean up after a ride. The next time I looked at my rims I saw that they were corroded. They were chrome plated Sun Rhyno Lite rims.

So you have to clean up chrome plated rims after every ride if they get wet.

Ironmanbrad said:
I live in Seattle and ride my bike to work everyday.So yes i ride in the rain all the time. One thing i have learned, when its raining CARS dont see me in my big yellow rain jacket. So if your out in the rain be real careful.

Brad
I agree with Brad: it rains here in Vancouver about the same amount as in Seattle--so I too ride in the rain (in traffic) all the time. Yes... "out in the rain be real careful".

Ditto for this boy from Victoria.

My winter bike is festooned in reflective tape, and I always make sure my lights have fresh batteries.

I love the wet, it makes your bike feel powerful.

Some road surfaces are tricky but you should see this as a challenge. I know from my motorsport experiences which surfaces will be slippy just by eye in the wet. The worst culprits are worn out roundabouts which have worn smooth and have loads of rubber on them. You just have to feel your way around them and just turn in very gently. Some surfaces have almost as much grip as they do in the dry when they are fully soaked. In fact where I live you have to watch you dont catch a pedal on the road even in the wet!

I dont like the way you hands and feet get cold but thats life.

As far as brakes go if you know it will rain during your ride then you should clean all the rubber off your rims with some paint thinner (white spirits) and then they should work great in the wet especially with certain brake pads. You should find you have super feel for the rear brake in the wet.

For me rain is irrelevant. I ride everyday at 11am, almost regardless of the weather. The only issue I have is when the wind picks up significantly; 40mpg gusts put me on an mtb in the cover of the woods and if it's worse than that, I'll finally cry uncle and give up on the riding idea.

Motivation definitely I start passing cars when it begins to rain on the way home.

ric_stern/RST said:
In 'normal' air (i.e., not raining) there's already plenty of oxygen -- in fact your body takes in more than it needs -- it just can't utilise all the O2. O2 utilisation being the limiting factor in endurance cycling.

the reasons that you go faster in the rain, are probably related to (a slightly) reduced rolling resistance between the tyres and the road and i'm pretty sure the air density decreases, reducing air drag. also, in my case, i ride harder so i don't get so wet -- it's good motivation!!

Ric

In this part of the world, at this time of the year, hitting a wooded trail in a light rain is glorious. :)

My plan is to ride each morning before school/work, but that doesn't happen much. Mostly because I am forced up late (like tonight!) doing homework or something. That means I have to ride in the evening. With that said...

I don't think it's enough to just say "rain" or not. The first thing that comes to mind is one of CCR's best songs "have you ever seen the rain?" The lyrics go "I want to know, have you ever seen the rain, coming down on a sunny day?" If it's a rain but I have decent visibility, I'll go out. This morning though, it was a slight mist, but nearly impossible to see. I've been out in heavier rains than this morning, but today I couldn't see anything. In other words, I make a value judgement on how well cars can see me, not how much water there is.

It does feel like you go faster in the rain though. I think it's because i picture myself as LA or Urlich et al riding in a TdF time trial with rain soaked roads. :D

-Matt

am just about to get ready to go out in the rain now. find it interesting training in the rain. expecially off road. the woods near me are great fun when it raining. makes the ride more interesting

I have been caught a couple of times in the rain, and it was a welcome break from the heat. Then only problem I had was the lightning that accompanied the storm. If it weren't for that, I would prefer biking in the rain, no matter how hard the rain is, just to get away from the 90+ degree heat.

myself - i enjoy riding in the rain (not too heavy), it keeps me cool, and I 'feel' as though I have more energy, or at least ride a little further - also i find the traffic is lighter, as everyone seems to dart indoors when the dark clouds loom.

redstorm said:
Hi guys,

I have had a road bike for about 2 months now. I used to ride mountain bikes before. While training on my mtb I used to go out in the rain/snow/mud/sun. Now I got this road bike and it looks a little more delicate, can I still go out and train in the rain as long as I dry the bike properly after a ride ? Or should I just stay home and watch tv ?

alp!
I NEVER dry my bike off after riding in the rain. I've just come back from a rain ride now - into the garage it went soaking wet and there it'll stay untouched untill I pull it out for a ride tomorrow or the next day.
It's aluminium, as is one of my other road bikes that I've treated the same way for a couple more years than I've had this one. The only rusty bits are the bolts in the stem.
I've got a steel(Columbus) road bike I've had since new 11 years ago. Sure enough I would ride that in the rain too and just leave it to dry by itself in the garage. The only noticeable rust on the paintwork of that is the lines of it from my sweat on the trainer.
If there was salt on our roads(in New Zealand) - and there is not, then I would wash them off(but not dry them).
Roadbikes may be more 'delicate' re bumps etc compared with MTBs but they're certainly not when it comes to corrosion etc. :)
If it's raining and you want to go for a ride - do it - with the right gear on of course and watching out for drivers and slippery roads etc.

Carrera said:
I had to rain in the rain and dark last week. On 3 occasions during one ride I'd have been flattened had I not developed quick reactions. On most occasions it was women opening car doors on a busy road and not looking to see if the way was clear. Then you get the usual idiots who try and overtake right in the middle of a roundabout on your immediate left.
Of course, you also have to allow for inferior brakes when it's raining.
My main gripe, though, is the continual drying and cleaning of the bike.
===========================================================

Why dry it? If you've cleaned it(road grime off etc) it'll dry by itself :)

adamallstar said:
I ended up riding in the rain yesterday... it was pretty nice, but when it really started to pour, boy did it sting. Going 17mph+ in heavy rain is rough on the ole' epidermus.

Would putting rain-x on some clear glasses help you with a clear view of the road? or is that a silly idea?
Having a helmet peak really helps:) Beats me why so few roadies have them. I have - I race a lot too. They're great when it's sunny especally as the sun is setting.

Having at least one bike with fenders and mud flaps would help protect the bottom bracket and your socks from road grim and make it more enjoyable.

flea77 said:
OK, this strikes me as weird. To me, and I am a noob so I could very well be wrong, the rolling resistance would increase in wet conditions because of the suction of the water/tires/pavement. Additionally the humidity would increase the air density as a larger quantity of moisture would be in the air, and it is harder to push through moist air than it is dry air.

Add to all that the increased weight of the water on the bike and you and I think it would be harder to ride in those conditions than in nice dry conditions.

Personally I dont ride in wet conditions because I am still new enough that I am afraid of wiping out, but with time I hope to overcome that fear.

Allan
Okay, I'm an idiot..I'm lost in the lingo here..what is a "noob"? :confused: