lanierb said:Is the hill isolated such that there are no other options? Usually such a hill would be close to some other similar hills and you could make a nice ride out of it.
If it's the only thing there, warm up for 15-30 minutes, then do 3 reps on it at threshold power descending immediately off the top and not stopping to rest at the bottom, then cool down for another 15-30 or so. This should be a great workout. I think 3 times is the optimal number.
Pretty much agree on all counts. Unless it is a dead end road, there should be another climb/descent nearby.
As for driving to a climb, I get it. I used to ride an ergometer (Cardgirus) 95% of the time when I lived in Europe (no daylight in winter during working hours). Once I did a Gran Fondo (stage of the Giro) as my second ride outside for the year -- not ideal. Now I live in Norcal and drive to Sonoma every so often since those roads have so little traffic even compared to where I live.
When I do these rides I ride 4-8 hours to make the driving worthwhile (and often my family meets me for an afternoon/overnight).
If there is only one climb (and a backside?), 3-4 repeats is ideal. Tomorrow morning I am heading out with my HID light at 5:00 am to ride a 3.3 mile, 1300 foot climb, descend an alternate road (the climb is narrow and dangerous as a descent) repeat, then do the backside, which is a bit easier and roughly half the distance, then do the frontside and backside one more time. That is about 5500 feet of climbing and ~45 miles, ehich should take me about 3 hours. It is a great SST workout and would be worth a drive.