Training Plans - Recovery after a long tour

endurancemom

Feb 5, 2010
Sunday 4/25 I rode in a 60 mile rolling/hilly bike tour. My longest ride this year before that was just 36 miles. I'm not sore today, but my legs are very tired. I was planning to take this entire day off from cycling, but am wondering if I should fit in a slow short recovery ride this evening? Otherwise I was just planning on riding tomorrow morning. I feel like a slow ride tonight might help 'loosen up' the legs a bit. What do you think? What do you do the day after a long tour/training day?

It is a great idea to go on a 20-30min easy spin. This means low gears and taking in the scenery. Even if you took your long ride relatively easy, you will likely have a build up of waste in your muscles, and a recovery ride will help rid your body of it. Also, drinking plenty of water throughout the day is a good idea, since the by-products will need to leave your system somehow.

Happy Training
CoachZ

It is a good idea to go for a 20-30min easy spin. Even if your pace yesterday was slow, you will have some exercise by-products in your muscles. The spinning will help you flush them out.

I also recommend drinking plenty of water throughout the day, as this will help you cleanse for tomorrow's ride ;)

Happy Training
Coach Z

endurancemom said:
What do you do the day after a long tour/training day?

I have Helga give me the once over:

masssuse.jpg

The 60 mile ride is a huge jump from 36, but it sounds as if you did fine. I'd say just listen to your body. If you feel like going for an easy spin, make sure it's really slow and easy. If not, just wait until tomorrow and ride easy then. If you're doing solo training during the week, take it slow and save your energy for the big weekend club events.

Editorial: It's fine to "take the whole day off from cycling" whenever you want...no need to get obsessive about training under the pressure of some kind of self-generated goals. If you focus on enjoying your rides now, the improvements in speed and endurance will come over time.