Training question - How to keep your peak fitness?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rivermist, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Rivermist

Rivermist Guest

I have done some reading about training. Weeks of building, sharpening etc until you reach
    your peak.

What about guys like me who plan to do a duathlon at least once per month, sometimes more often.

What is the best way to keep my peak fitness?

Tags:

2. Rivermist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have done some reading about training. Weeks of building, sharpening etc until you reach
    > your peak.

> What about guys like me who plan to do a duathlon at least once per month, sometimes more often.

> What is the best way to keep my peak fitness?

Prioritize your races. You can't have 12 peaks in a year, period. Pick two to four favorites, and
    don't expect peak performances at the others. Treat the others as something between training and
    racing - race them hard, but don't try to periodize your training around them. Periodize around
    the primary races.

-Dave

--
    work: dga - at - lcs.mit.edu me: angio - at - pobox.com MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
    http://www.angio.net/ (note that my reply-to address is vaguely despammed...) bulk emailers: I do
    not accept unsolicited email. Do not mail me.

3. I agree with Dave. Too many triathletes try to peak at all of their races. Well stated.

Harry

Dave Andersen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rivermist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have done some reading about training. Weeks of building, sharpening etc until you reach
    > > your peak.
    >
    > > What about guys like me who plan to do a duathlon at least once per month, sometimes more often.
    >
    > > What is the best way to keep my peak fitness?
    >
    > Prioritize your races. You can't have 12 peaks in a year, period. Pick two to four favorites,
    > and don't expect peak performances at the others. Treat the others as something between training
    > and racing - race them hard, but don't try to periodize your training around them. Periodize
    > around the primary races.
    >
    > -Dave

4. Bill Reese

Bill Reese Guest

Spm073 wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Kind of a followup question to the last. How do you work in rest periods or down weeks when you are
    >racing that often?

In my view onc race a month isn't all that often--I find that I can do an Oly every two weeks for
    quite a bit with no major ill effects, though three in four weeks definitely takes its toll. Aside
    from peaking for specific races, I would probably organize my traning roughly as follows based on
    whatever volume of training I was comfortable with: Percents are based on a four week cycle.

Week 1 Race Volume 20% (including race) Limit the long stuff and include speed sharpening and
    whatever taper you think you need.

Week 2. Volume 25% . Begining of the week easy and mostly LSD for recovery, building to a fairly
    strong end of week.

Week 3 Volume 30% with a balanced program.

Week 4. Volume 25%. Probably put most LSD stuff toward the first part of the week.

Week 5 --Race week again, go to week 1.

This should provide a rough approach for racing up to a half marathon equlivalent effort (which I
    feel is roughly similar to an Oly Tri). If you are going longer you would need to change the
    program a bit.

YMMV

Bill

5. Tom G

Tom G Guest

I really suggest that you read Friel's book (Triathlete's Training Bible) - his section on planning
    your training around races is fantastic.

Tom

"Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have done some reading about training. Weeks of building, sharpening
    etc
    > until you reach your peak.
    >
    > What about guys like me who plan to do a duathlon at least once per month, sometimes more often.
    >
    > What is the best way to keep my peak fitness?