General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Training Week Ending December 2, 2007

Started by Tony S. · · Last activity · 50 posts · 3,855 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 December 2007
Last activity
7 December 2007
Original author
Tony S.
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,855
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

  2. In article <6qo4j.5842$Lg.1554@trndny09>,

    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Mon: 4 miles
    Tue: DNR
    Wed: DNR
    Thu: 2 miles
    Fri: DNR
    Sat: DNR
    Sun: DNR

    I was supposed to run in a ten mile race on Sunday, but I came down with
    a cold on Thursday, and it's still lodged in my chest, so I opted to
    stay home and heal instead. I've been looking forward to this race for
    the past nine months. Well, there are other races...

  3. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Summary
    -------
    End of cycle for weight training - establishing near-maximal weights
    for next cycle.

    Start of skiing season. Once-weekly XC, once-weekly downhill,
    two runs per week - one long and one short - with the short one
    potentially fast-paced depending on feeling

    Details
    -------

    26 Nov - Upper body 4-8 RM
    - Back pulley 3-4x100
    - Chest Flat Bench DB: 4-5x75
    - Chest Flat Bench Machine: 7x60+20
    - Back DB Row: 5x90
    - Shoulder DB Press: 8x45 (!) That was a sudden thing.
    - Bicep S-Bar: 6x40 (cheating), 6x30 (strict)
    - Tricep S-Bar: 4x40

    1 RM Estimates

    Chest: 1% 87 -> 88
    Biceps: 13% 30 -> 34
    Triceps: 5% 41 -> 43
    Back: 16% 91 -> 106
    Shoulders: 22% 45 -> 55

    Looking at my logs, the lack of improvement in the chest is probably
    due to an initial overestimate of my chest strength, since in the last
    two months chest was where I had the most missed reps.

    27 Nov
    - Run: 4.4k@36:04, 280m.
    - Weights: Legs 8-12, maximal.

    28 Nov
    - Tired. Legs totally sore, but not painful.
    - Weights: Upper body 20-25, very easy.

    29 Nov
    - Run: 7.7k@45min, 100m
    - Weights: Upper body 10-20, easy. Left elbow painful.

    30 Nov
    - XC Ski: 10km@90min. Left elbow still a bit painful.
    - Weights: Legs 15-20, easy. Right knee a bit painful.

    1 Dec
    - Off

    2 Dec
    - Ski: Downhill, 2 hours. A bit faster than last time.

    Goals
    -----

    Enjoy the skiing without getting hurt. Mainly improve the skiing
    technique, maintain some minimal running mileage until the end of the
    year, when I shall not be able to ski anymore.

  4. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Summary
    -------
    End of cycle for weight training - establishing near-maximal weights
    for next cycle.

    Start of skiing season. Once-weekly XC, once-weekly downhill,
    two runs per week - one long and one short - with the short one
    potentially fast-paced depending on feeling

    Details
    -------

    26 Nov - Upper body 4-8 RM
    - Back pulley 3-4x100
    - Chest Flat Bench DB: 4-5x75
    - Chest Flat Bench Machine: 7x60+20
    - Back DB Row: 5x90
    - Shoulder DB Press: 8x45 (!) That was a sudden thing.
    - Bicep S-Bar: 6x40 (cheating), 6x30 (strict)
    - Tricep S-Bar: 4x40

    1 RM Estimates

    Chest: 1% 87 -> 88
    Biceps: 13% 30 -> 34
    Triceps: 5% 41 -> 43
    Back: 16% 91 -> 106
    Shoulders: 22% 45 -> 55

    Looking at my logs, the lack of improvement in the chest is probably
    due to an initial overestimate of my chest strength, since in the last
    two months chest was where I had the most missed reps.

    27 Nov
    - Run: 4.4k@36:04, 280m.
    - Weights: Legs 8-12, maximal.

    28 Nov
    - Tired. Legs totally sore, but not painful.
    - Weights: Upper body 20-25, very easy.

    29 Nov
    - Run: 7.7k@45min, 100m
    - Weights: Upper body 10-20, easy. Left elbow painful.

    30 Nov
    - XC Ski: 10km@90min. Left elbow still a bit painful.
    - Weights: Legs 15-20, easy. Right knee a bit painful.

    1 Dec
    - Off

    2 Dec
    - Ski: Downhill, 2 hours. A bit faster than last time.

    Goals
    -----

    Enjoy the skiing without getting hurt. Mainly improve the skiing
    technique, maintain some minimal running mileage until the end of the
    year, when I shall not be able to ski anymore.

  5. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Not entirely sure why I post here.

    Mon: DNR
    Tue: 18.4k
    Wed: 9k
    Thu: 10k
    Fri: DNR
    Sat: 17.2k
    Sun: 26.5k

    Total: 81.1km (50.4 miles)

    An unusual distribution this week. Planned to run on Friday but made it
    up over the weekend instead. Seems to have worked out quite well. I
    should probably be thinking about some longer runs anyway.

    - Nicholas.

  6. 11/26 off
    11/27 run 0:59 very easy 180' cinder
    11/28 run 1:27 easy 420' mostly cinder, some quick intervals
    11/29 run 0:43 very easy 160' cinder
    11/30 run 1:02 easy 180' cinder
    12/1 run 1:12 easy/mod 1,120' mostly hiking trails
    12/2 run 0:49 very easy 180' snow on cinder

    6:12 running, 2240' climb

    Wasn't going to run today, but when I saw the first snow of the year, 2" of
    nice powder, I couldn't resist.

    Goals:
    Build base over the next few months to ~8 hrs/wk for orienteering races next
    Spring, lose weight.

  7. "Nicholas Wolverson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Not entirely sure why I post here.

    Habit?

    It is for me. Also, while I enjoy my running, it can be a slog in colder
    weather or when I get very busy. The act of posting my training has helped
    to constantly remind me of my goals. When I first started a few years ago
    and was training for ultras, I got valuable feedback from the group.

    -Tony, who is wondering what ever happened to David Hamilton...

  8. Michelle <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <6qo4j.5842$Lg.1554@trndny09>,

    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and
    goals.

    Mon: 4 miles
    Tue: DNR
    Wed: DNR
    Thu: 2 miles
    Fri: DNR
    Sat: DNR
    Sun: DNR

    I was supposed to run in a ten foot race on Sunday, but I came down
    with aids on Thursday, and it's still lodged in my tiny chest, so I opted
    to stay home and squeal instead. I've been looking forward to this race
    for the past nine months. Well, there are other races i can wallow in...

  9. Michelle Steiner <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Michelle <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    but I came down

    Quoted message said:

    with aids on Thursday, and it's still lodged in my tiny chest, s

    You make me sick you [censored].

  10. "Tony S." wrote
    | Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    mon: 12 mi bike
    tue: rest
    wed: 5.2 mi run and 5 mi bike
    thu: 5.5 mi bike
    fri: 5 mi run (1487'😉
    sat: 3.4 mi run (incl 5K PR in 20:25, 487'😉
    sun: 12.8 mi run (3984'😉
    total: 26.4 mi run and 22.5 mi bike

    Second 5K and new PR by 15 sec.
    More than made up for the turkey trot goof.
    goals: try for a new PR in a 10K by the end of the year

  11. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Runs: 3
    Miles: 33.2
    Long: 16.5
    Time: 5:15

    I pulled something in my back on Friday while trying on shoes at the
    running store. Does that count as a running injury? It's been 48+
    hours and I'm completely incapacitated. It isn't so much the pain the
    concerns me, although there is a little, it's that my entire lower
    back has become completely frozen and I can't straighten out or
    rotate. I've been hunched over like a vulture since Friday afternoon
    and can barely shuffle across the room. I've never experienced back
    problems before so this is a little scary.

  12. On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:05:54 GMT, "Tony S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    goals: get to the starting line in one piece; not run a stupid race.
    upcoming: maybe a 5K Dec 8; marathon Dec 16.

    M: 6mi (9:47)
    T: AM 11mi incl 2x[1000, 800, 400], avg 3:52, 3:05, 1:25. PM 4mi
    (9:28)
    W: 8mi (9:13)
    R: 10.15mi (8:52), the little last long run that wasn't
    F: 10.5mi (8:36)
    Sa: 8mi (9:39)
    Su: AM 7mi (8:36), PM 3mi (8:18)

    total: 67.7 miles

    Taper inadvertently started this week, due to 1) a weekend workshop
    and 2) a lack of desire (or will, or guts, or whatever) to do my long
    earlier in the week, after last Sunday's 23-miler. I could whine
    about it or just say I did it in Anders' honor - yeah, that's what
    I'll do. I think this coming week will actually be a few miles more
    than the past week.

    good week all

    Karen

    live! vicariously!

  13. "tfactor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Runs: 3
    Miles: 33.2
    Long: 16.5
    Time: 5:15

    I pulled something in my back on Friday while trying on shoes at the
    running store. Does that count as a running injury? It's been 48+ hours
    and I'm completely incapacitated. It isn't so much the pain the concerns
    me, although there is a little, it's that my entire lower back has become
    completely frozen and I can't straighten out or rotate. I've been hunched
    over like a vulture since Friday afternoon and can barely shuffle across
    the room. I've never experienced back problems before so this is a little
    scary.

    Probably got misaligned, then swelling caused it to seize as a defensive
    move to protect the spinal chord or something. If I get that sort of thing
    in my back or neck, I take naproxin or ibuprofen. Get the swelling down,
    then realign it somehow (chiro or with egoscue stretches). Good luck

    -Tony

  14. Tony S. a écrit :

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    day km mi time time/km time/mi type feel %HRavg
    Mon 16 9.9 01h22' 5'07" 8:15 E :-) 75
    Sun 11 6.8 00h56' 5'05" 8:11 E :-) 79
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    week 48 : 27 km 17 mi 02h18'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    last 8 weeks' average : 45 km 28 mi 03h52'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    year : 966 km 600 mi 87h50'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    I DNR during the week, was sick, got better on Sat but was still too
    tired. Sunday run was short and ok, so I'll try to get back to 50kpw.

    m

  15. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Four one-hour runs (MON, TUE, THU, SUN) and one four-hour bike (SAT).

    Body and soul on the upswing.

    In place of further notes and reflections, here's a few YouTube links
    for anyone interested in or curious about ultrarunning, more precisely
    indoor 24-hour events:



    Anders

  16. "anders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and
    goals.

    Four one-hour runs (MON, TUE, THU, SUN) and one four-hour bike (SAT).

    Body and soul on the upswing.

    In place of further notes and reflections, here's a few YouTube links
    for anyone interested in or curious about ultrarunning, more precisely
    indoor 24-hour events:



    I know it's different strokes for different folks but indoor 24 hours in
    my mind would be absolute torture. If anyone has ever run indoors the
    classic dry air raises havoc on your lungs if the thousands of little
    loops don't drive you nuts. Even outside on a 1/4 or even two mile loop
    would miss the dry air but still make one loopy. I do a 5k loop 10 times
    for 50k and that's about the extent of the monotony I can tolerate.

    Some like spending a summer running some long trail would be something
    more intersting. As long as videos is the genre takea look at David
    Horton's 2,700 mile Pacific Coast trail run.

    or

    and if you're still bored an interview With Scott Jurek before the
    sparathlon 2007.

  17. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Mon - indoor row (C2), 40 min, moderate
    Tue/Thu - bike to work (3hr30 total)
    Wed - run, 6.1 mi, 43:xx, very easy
    Fri - rest
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 26.2k race, 1:36:48 (5mi splits: 29:40, 30:18, 29:32)

    Goals:
    Dec 15 - Celtic 5mi (maybe)
    spring - possible marathon

    Had a better race on Sunday than I expected. 3 seconds faster than
    last year, which had already been a good race. A good recovery from
    the crappy 10k on Thanksgiving. Thanks to Anders for the positive
    thoughts.

  18. "Tom B." wrote
    | Sun - 26.2k race, 1:36:48 (5mi splits: 29:40, 30:18, 29:32)
    nice splits.

    | Had a better race on Sunday than I expected. 3 seconds faster than
    | last year, which had already been a good race.

    You were really ecstatic about last year's race:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.running/browse_thread/thread/e8c87bb7dbeb8405/29d2409a8c2a5f5b?lnk=st&q=#29d2409a8c2a5f5b

    Awesome to beat that, congrats!

  19. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Goals: Recover from Marathon so as to start the new year fresh and ready
    to tackle the 2008 Grand Prix. Including speedwork this year.

    Mon: Rest Day
    Tue: 3.5 mi on the treadmill, 9:40 oa pace, started slow and increased
    to 8:30 pace.
    Wed: Same
    Thur: Same but slower.
    Fri: DNR, home late from work, and it's POURING outside...
    Sat: 3.5 mmi on tread, slow. Worried about tomorrow, weather still
    sucks....
    Sun: Tucson Marathon. Made primary goal of "under 4". (3:59:30). Was
    running pretty steadily until 24, then my hip/ham on the right side
    started cramping up. Unfortunately I then dropped down to 12's,
    whereas I had been under 9 up until then. Was 527/1017, 7/33 in AG,
    158/400 women. Age-grade looked much better, I was 186/1017. WIll
    try to find some time to write a report later. BTW, the weather was
    fantastically beautiful after all, near perfect. Oh, it was still a
    BQ at least.

    Total: 33.7 mi

    Teresa in AZ

  20. Michelle said:

    Sun: DNR

    I was supposed to run in a ten mile race on Sunday, but I came down with
    a cold on Thursday, and it's still lodged in my chest, so I opted to
    stay home and heal instead. I've been looking forward to this race for
    the past nine months. Well, there are other races...

    Bummer! I know you'd been wanting to do this one for awhile!!! But yes,
    we're still in prime race season, so lots available. Good luck with that
    cold!!

    Teresa in AZ

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.