General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Training Week Ending December 4, 2005

Started by SwStudio · · Last activity · 84 posts · 1,554 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 December 2005
Last activity
8 December 2005
Original author
SwStudio
Posts
84
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,554
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 84
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

  2. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    goals: stay off the injured list, make the most of the nice weather.
    upcoming races: half-marathon Dec 11; 5-miler Dec 31; marathon March 19.

    M: 6mi (9:07)
    T: 9mi incl 3x2000, supposed to be 7:55, instead 7:57/8:03/8:06, ugh
    W: 10mi (8:42)
    R: AM 6.3mi (8:51), PM 6.75mi (8:10)
    F: 9mi (8:40) incl 10x100m strides
    Sa: 10mi (8:29)
    Su: 18.44mi (7:40) in the hills with my friend Albert

    total: 75.49 miles

    I really don't have any excuse for Tuesday's track workout except: there
    was a cold front coming through which brought wind, rain, and thunder;
    also, it was too dark to see my watch so I just ran by feel (which was
    apparently not enough to get the goal times).

    Today's hill run with Albert was great, though a bit faster than we'd
    planned. Must have been the weather, which was perfect.

    good week all

    Karen

    --
    live! vicariously!

  3. Goal : PB marathon (<2:55) next year

    Week of rest after marathon. No injuries identified. Next race will
    probably be a cross country or a 10k village race.

    Time km mi avHR%
    Mon - Fri Planned rest.

    Sat 0:25 3 2 ?? Jog/walk with daughter

    Sun 0:50 9 6 70 Easy in park + paths round home.
    _________________
    1:15 12km 8mi

  4. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    Goals:
    12/11 - Dallas White Rock marathon (2:43-2:44???)

    Mon - bike to work, 1hr40
    Tue - run, 7.2 mi, easy
    Wed - bike to work, 1hr40
    Thu - run, 6.9 mi, hard/very hard
    Fri - bike to work, 1hr40
    Sat - row (Concept 2), 40 min, medium
    Sun - run, 10.3 mi, easy/medium (6:38/mi)

    Only one week left to go. Everything is feeling pretty good, no
    injuries. Thursday was my regular hills route, and I ran it at the
    same pace as just prior to my 10K PR back in May. A good confidence
    boost.

    I'm still working up a plan for this week to rest my legs -- probably
    only one ~5 mi run (on Wed) with a few strides. Raceday is Sunday, so
    rest on Sat, lunchtime walk on Fri, and then Mon/Tue/Thu will probably
    be one rest day and two bike commutes. Depends on the weather.

    Maybe time to start thinking about the spring? Since I bailed on the
    JFK, I have been kicking around the idea of Bull Run 50.

    Good runs, all.

  5. Just finished a 21.5 mile run. This combined with the 11 miler I did
    yeaterday and the 9 miles I did during the week brings me up to 41.5
    miles for the week. Plan was 39 miles.

    I am in training for the "Goofy" at the Disney after the first of the
    year so I am running a bit more than I normally do. My normal running
    mileage for a week is about 25 miles.

    It started to rain during the 21+ mile run but I decided that I have to
    get ready for the day I run a race in the rain (been lucky so far) and
    continued on. Course was from East Point, GA to Palmetto, GA on mostly
    flat to rolling hills. Nothing to steep. Had a couple of instances in
    which drivers came close to hitting me (one driver was on the line and I
    had to jump out of the way) but this is normal in the Atlanta area.
    Drivers don't like to share the road with runner or cyclists (I also
    ride about 30 miles a week as well.)

    Next week is about 33 miles of running, then the week after it is a 12
    miler on Saturday, and 23 miler on Sunday and 10 miles during the week.

    After that just my normal 25 mile/week until Disney.

    John "runningfool" Tackett

    SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,

  6. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    ------------------------------------------------------------
    day km mi time time/km time/mi type feel
    Mon 11.5 7.1 00h53' 4'40" 7'30" E :-)
    Tue 16 9.9 01h15' 4'44" 7'37" E :-|
    Thu 16.5 10.3 01h11' 4'18" 6'55" T \o/
    Fri 13.5 8.4 01h03' 4'42" 7'33" R \o/
    Sun 25.2 15.7 01h56' 4'37" 7'26" E \o/
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    week : 83 km 51 mi 06h20'
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    last 8 weeks' average : 75 km 46 mi 05h49'
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    year : 2186 km 1358 mi 175h32'
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    very good week, third above 80km, my highest mileage ever on last 8
    weeks' average : 75km (46mi)
    Running feels great now, weight is down by 4kg since 2 months and it
    seems to really help.

    Out of curiosity I took back my HRM on thursday, and ran 8.250 km (5mi)
    in 32'34" which is 3'56"/km or 6'21"/mi and that was @ 155 HR.

    So on Friday I decided to check my HRmax, which I never did.
    Ran 6km easy, then on a track : 1*800, 90s rest, 1*400, 90s rest, 1*400
    and back 6km.

    The highest HR reading was 192 at the end of both 400m (during the 800,
    the HRM went nuts...)

    This tells me that Thursday session with 5mile @ 3'56"/km (6'21"/mi) was
    run @ 81% HRmax.
    So this is pretty good and encouraging, I never had such a fast pace
    (and only out of aerobic training BTW), OTOH, as I was almost @ LT, it
    still seems to be low...But I'll work on it!

    Today's long run was also run with the HRM and I had :
    9.850 km @ 72% HRMAX 4'39"/km or 7'30" /mi
    9.850 km @ 78% HRMAX 4'20"/km or 6'58" /mi (which sounds good for my MP
    that I'd like to see @ 4'10"😉

    All this is good news to me, particularly after the 10k PR I ran 2 weeks
    ago. I do really believe now in a sub-3 marathon... and I do even begin
    to dream about 2h55' ...

    I might try and do the Hadd test next week, to see where I am at.

    Goals : increase mileage to 100kmpw towards january, continue only
    aerobic running (easy pace between 75 and 85% HRmax)

    10k in february
    marathon in april (still no news about paris... should know before next
    friday if registration is ok)

    m

    Quoted message said:

    cheers,

  7. Quoted message said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    Mon 7.24 easy
    Tue 4.03 easy (abs)
    Wed 8.00 aerobic (weights)
    Thu 0.00 rest (abs)
    Fri 7.07 aerobic
    Sat 4.03 easy (abs)
    Sun 15.00 medium long (weights)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Wk 45
    Yr 2,228

    No specific training plan right now. Just maintaining fitness &
    endurance until I decide on a Spring 50-miler. A nice 15-miler on Sunday
    from Lake Lanier to home. Which reminds me, I need to go pick up my car.
    The wife really hates when I do these point-to-point long runs.

    Have a great week rec.runners.

    --
    Phil M.

    "What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John Short,
    South African coach.

  8. Quoted message said:

    Goals:
    12/11 - Dallas White Rock marathon (2:43-2:44???)

    Good luck! Looking forward to your report.

    Quoted message said:

    Sat - row (Concept 2), 40 min, medium

    Do you have one of these? A great way to get a workout with zero leg
    impact.

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe time to start thinking about the spring? Since I bailed on the
    JFK, I have been kicking around the idea of Bull Run 50.

    Could be a rec.running crowd there with Doug, me (maybe), you, and Pendejo
    at the finish.

    --
    Phil M.

  9. Quoted message said:

    It started to rain during the 21+ mile run but I decided that I have
    to get ready for the day I run a race in the rain (been lucky so far)
    and continued on. Course was from East Point, GA to Palmetto, GA on
    mostly flat to rolling hills. Nothing to steep.

    Hey John, apparently we're neighbors (sort of). I'm about 40 miles
    northeast in Lawrenceville. I started my run today at Lake Lanier. It
    was threatening to storm. It never did more than sprinkle.

    Quoted message said:

    Had a couple of instances in which drivers came close to hitting me
    (one driver was on the line and I had to jump out of the way) but this
    is normal in the Atlanta area.

    On those winding roads with no shoulder, I'm always looking for a way
    off the road before it's too late. I'm usually running on the left, but
    sometimes, if I'm aproaching a blind turn for an oncoming car, I'll run
    on the right if the lane is clear.

    Quoted message said:

    Drivers don't like to share the road with runner or cyclists (I also
    ride about 30 miles a week as well.)

    I didn't have too much of that today. I saw quite a few cyclists in packs
    following part of the Tour De Georgia route. Maybe that kept the motorists
    on their good behavior.

    --
    Phil M.

  10. "Phil M." <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    No specific training plan right now. Just maintaining fitness &
    endurance until I decide on a Spring 50-miler. A nice 15-miler on Sunday
    from Lake Lanier to home. Which reminds me, I need to go pick up my car.

    Hey Phil, have you considered using public transit? I don't
    drive, so I have no choice - but I sometimes do those nice
    point-to-point runs as well, and I've got a few courses that
    I start by taking a bus to the location.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

  11. Phil M. said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sat - row (Concept 2), 40 min, medium

    Do you have one of these? A great way to get a workout with zero leg
    impact.

    Yeah, I bought mine about 10 years ago, a year or two before they went
    from the model B to the model C (the first one that broke down into 2
    pieces). It'll dish out all the punishment any human could ask for.
    Very good cross-training, and It's a pleasure to support such a great
    company.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe time to start thinking about the spring? Since I bailed on the
    JFK, I have been kicking around the idea of Bull Run 50.

    Could be a rec.running crowd there with Doug, me (maybe), you, and Pendejo
    at the finish.

    This race has a lot going for it. For me, the biggest thing is Unca
    Doug's stamp of approval. But it's also easily drivable for me from
    Baltimore (if it's in Clifton as I think I read somewhere), and I
    believe it is supposed to be less technical and more runnable than my
    only previous ultra.

    The biggest questions for me are whether a spring 50M necessarily
    precludes a full-effort spring marathon (not too many chances left to
    PR at age 38), and whether I even like trail running enough to run on a
    muddy day. I wonder if it is possible to design a training program
    that sets you up to *either* finish a 50M, *or* (if bad weather for the
    50M) take an extra couple weeks of sharpening and run a PR-quality
    marathon. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of the weather factor?
    Maybe it's possible to do both?

    It would definitely be fun to meet up with some more rec.runners.

  12. 37.80 miles in 7 days (oops: now that I'm a shambling festering
    biohazard, I drop the DNR day... purely accidental), as

    Mo: PM 2.0 easy make that "very easy", defacto rest day

    Tu: AM 3.5 easy 60F!

    We: PM 5.5 easy 2.0 slower-than-Hadd easy, 3.5 normal easy

    Th: PM 5.75 easy Bk/Mn Bridges, a bit tired toward end and after

    Fr: PM 5.75 easy Bk/Mn Bridges, not at all tired. Windy 35F!

    Sa: AM 5.45 easy 3.5 Maffetonian slog, 1.95 regular jog

    Su: PM 9.85 easy Snow! 2.5 mi variable pace w/ avg ~MP.

    Haven't fully shaken what we're calling "the kinda-sortas" but I'm
    feeling better running than not running. If I'd felt fatigued after
    Friday, making it 2 in a row, I'd have taken at least one rest day.

  13. marko said:

    All this is good news to me, particularly after the 10k PR I ran 2
    weeks ago. I do really believe now in a sub-3 marathon...

    Marko, it sounds like your training is going great - congrats on that.

    But I also want to compliment you on the "feel" column you've added to
    your reports - perhaps 2005's finest "Training Week" innovation. :-)

  14. "Tom B." <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if it is possible to design a training program
    that sets you up to *either* finish a 50M, *or* (if bad weather for the
    50M) take an extra couple weeks of sharpening and run a PR-quality
    marathon.

    If you're in 2:43 shape, you won't just finish, but will probably be in the
    first few places.

    IMO, marathon training is great for a 50m. Just get a 30-35 mile easy run
    in 3-4 weeks before the race. The competitive guys might do a 30 almost
    every week, but talent and strategerie can trump miles on the trails.

    If you bail on the 50, roll into a marathon. The 30 mile run won't hurt
    you...

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of the weather factor?

    Are you a fearless mud runner? All you need to do is average an 8:00 mile
    to get a 6:40... :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe it's possible to do both?

    Dunno. But I ran some of my best races 3-5 months after a strong 50 miler.
    A 50 takes the stuffing out of you for a month or so.

    -- Dan

  15. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    marko said:

    All this is good news to me, particularly after the 10k PR I ran 2
    weeks ago. I do really believe now in a sub-3 marathon...

    Marko, it sounds like your training is going great - congrats on that.

    But I also want to compliment you on the "feel" column you've added to
    your reports - perhaps 2005's finest "Training Week" innovation. :-)

    I was smiling at that, too - it's a nice touch.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

  16. Avalon 50 mile, January 14.

    Sun: 7 mi easy, hills
    Mon: 8 mi easy, streets.
    Tue: 10.5 mi moderate (80% hrMax)
    Wed: 7 mi easy, streets.
    Thu: 10.5 mi moderate (80% hrMax)
    Fri: 8 mi easy.
    Sat: 18 miles, 145hr avg (80% hrMax), 3200' climb. Fartleck type run, with
    excursions into the 160's. Felt strong all the way, lots left at the end.
    Kicked a mtn biker's butt up a long climb from mile 12 to 13 :-)

    69 miles.

    I'll start doing speed work on Tuesdays for the weeks leading up to the
    race. I'll do my usual 10 day taper, giving me 5 speed weeks. I want to
    lose a few lbs in the next month, which will be much tougher than the
    training :-)

  17. Quoted message said:


    "Tom B." <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if it is possible to design a training program
    that sets you up to *either* finish a 50M, *or* (if bad weather for
    the 50M) take an extra couple weeks of sharpening and run a
    PR-quality marathon.

    If you're in 2:43 shape, you won't just finish, but will probably be
    in the first few places.

    IMO, marathon training is great for a 50m. Just get a 30-35 mile easy
    run in 3-4 weeks before the race. The competitive guys might do a 30
    almost every week, but talent and strategerie can trump miles on the
    trails.

    To be more specific for the 50-miler, would you cut back on the more
    intense VO2 training? Maybe replace with longer LT training, off road
    hills, walking partions for time-on-feet effect? I could see running some
    local marathons at an easy pace for training. Other than that, I don't have
    any marathons planned.

    --
    Phil M.

  18. Quoted message said:

    "Phil M." <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    No specific training plan right now. Just maintaining fitness &
    endurance until I decide on a Spring 50-miler. A nice 15-miler on Sunday
    from Lake Lanier to home. Which reminds me, I need to go pick up my car.

    Hey Phil, have you considered using public transit? I don't
    drive, so I have no choice - but I sometimes do those nice
    point-to-point runs as well, and I've got a few courses that
    I start by taking a bus to the location.

    Thanks. I've looked into that, but the routes I enjoy the most, like the
    one I did today, are way out in the boonies.

    --
    Phil M.

  19. Charlie Pendejo said:

    But I also want to compliment you on the "feel" column you've added to
    your reports - perhaps 2005's finest "Training Week" innovation. :-)

    what does \o/ mean? Looks like "I'm drowning" or "I am victorious"

    --
    live! vicariously!

  20. Quoted message said:
    marko said:

    All this is good news to me, particularly after the 10k PR I ran 2
    weeks ago. I do really believe now in a sub-3 marathon...

    Marko, it sounds like your training is going great - congrats on that.

    But I also want to compliment you on the "feel" column you've added to
    your reports - perhaps 2005's finest "Training Week" innovation. :-)

    7'30" for 7:30. Is this a euro thing?

    --
    Phil

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.