General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Training Week Ending November 18, 2007

Started by Tony S. · · Last activity · 68 posts · 2,142 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 November 2007
Last activity
25 November 2007
Original author
Tony S.
Posts
68
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,142
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 68
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

  2. On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 02:35:02 GMT, "Tony S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    goals: keep on dodging those bullets. upcoming races: 10K Nov 22;
    maybe a 5K Dec 8; marathon Dec 16.

    M: 6.5mi (9:29), really sore after Sunday bridge run
    T: AM 4.39mi (8:59), rt achilles tightened quite a bit, no speedwork;
    PM 4mi (9:08), achilles pretty sore
    W: AM 6.57mi (8:56), still sore; PM 4.36mi (9:17), some 1-min walk
    breaks, still sore every step
    R: AM walked 5.11 miles; PM biked 8 miles. NO RUNNING!
    F: 6.2mi (9:44), walked about 1/3 the first mile and progressively
    less each mile, ran last 1.2 w/o walking. Achilles 94% better.
    Sa: 8mi (8:15), much better
    Su: 22mi (7:35) w/club friends, so far so good

    total: 62.2 miles running, 5.11 miles walking, 8 miles bike

    Big deal this week was the achilles/soleus, which bit me during the
    warmup for Tuesday's speedwork. Taking it easy didn't cure it, and
    taking it even easier didn't either. I finally decided I could afford
    to take a couple days off running, and luckily it healed after only
    one day off. The pace of today's 22 was probably due to a combination
    of good company, good weather, and a relatively light week, but my leg
    gave nary a peep, so I'm happy.

    good week all

    Karen

    live! vicariously!

  3. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    12 Nov - Weights: Upper body 6-10
    13 Nov - Run: Fartlek 3.2km@16min, Weights: Legs 10-15, Core 25-100.
    14 Nov - Weights: Shoulders 6-10
    15 Nov - Run: Hills 3.2km@23min, 200m
    16 Nov - Weights: Upper body 10-25, Run: Treadmill, 2km@15min
    17 Nov - XC Skiing, 16km@90min
    18 Nov - Run: Hills 10km@78min, 450m

    A good week, but I din't feel like running much. Tuesday's leg weight
    training pretty much clinched it until Sunday. At least I could still
    run after the first skiing of the year.

    Details
    -------
    12 Nov
    - Weights: Upper body, 6-10 reps, maximal.
    - Everything great, but I could not do shoulders after maximal chest effort.

    13 Nov
    - Run: Warmup + 3.2km@15:39 Fartlek
    - Weights: Legs 10-15RM maximal. Core work 25-100.

    14 Nov
    - Legs really sore, lower back somewhat.
    - Weights: Shoulders, 6-10 reps, maximal. Rep targets exceeded.

    15 Nov
    - Run: Hills, 3.2km@23min, 200m, Easy, snow
    - A bit stiff still from the weight training, especially my buttocks
    and hamstrings.

    16 Nov
    - Weights: Upper body 10-25 RM, easy
    - Run: Treadmill, barefoot, 15 min ~ 2km easy
    - My left ankle felt tired.

    17 Nov
    - XC Skiing, skating, ~ 16km@90 min
    - Not totally sure about the distance. My skating technique was a
    horrible, but I was pushing it hard. A bit too windy at places.

    18 Nov
    - Run: Hills, 10km@1:18, 450-500m, 75%, snow.
    - Some hip/thigh pains from XC skiing, mostly hip flexors
    apparently. I had forgotten that the muscles under question
    existed. The was light snowfall, temperature around freezing. The
    snow was 5-20cm deep, with occassional icy patches. Running felt
    easy enough - the flexor soreness was not really a problem. Must do
    more leg raises when weight training, though.

    Goals:

    Next couple of weeks are the last maximal weight weeks on the schedule
    for weight training. Definitely replacing at least one run on the
    weekend with skiing. Maybe one fast run and an easy one during the
    week. Weight loss seems to be occuring slowly, must preserve.

  4. On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 02:35:02 GMT, "Tony S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Hi All,

    Week 23 of JD program, all base miles again. Base runs with strides
    afer start week 21.

    S: 8.2 at 8:52 mpm
    M: 8.2 at 8:52 mpm
    T: DNR
    W: 8.0 at 8:56 mpm
    T: DNR
    F: 5.5 at 8:38 mpm
    S: 12.2 at 9:02 mpm

    Totals: 42.2m at 8:52 mpm, 4805 cals, 4487' up, 4465' down, ave hr 149

    Goals: stay healthy, work on effieciency and form. Keep up the miles
    with the holiday week. Eat lots, drink my share and get sleep. Oh, and
    run!

    Enjoy the turkey!
    Ken

  5. In article <qxN%i.104$r81.50@trndny05>,

    Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    21 miles

    I tried to keep it slow this week, after the 10K last Sunday, and pretty
    much succeeded. I actually ran faster today than I had intended, but it
    was at a comfortable pace.

    Mon: DNR
    Tue: 5 miles 1:07:25 (13:29)
    Wed: 3 miles 39.12 (13:04)
    Thu: DNR
    Fri: 5 miles 1:07:34 (13:30)
    Sat: DNR
    Sun: 8 miles 1:48:17 (13:32)

    I'll be on vacation next week (Walt Disney World), so my training plan
    is going to have to be modified. I'll have to postpone Tuesday's run
    until Wednesday, which means that I'll run Wed through Fri without a
    break, but will still have a day off on Saturday before Sunday's nine
    mile run.

    The following week will be a taper, with a ten mile race on December 2nd
    (day after my 65th birthday). After that race, I'll take it easy for a
    week or two, and then start training for the Lost Dutchman half marathon
    on Feb 17th. I would like to do that HM in under 2:50; under 2:45 would
    be fabulous. Although not as hilly as the Nike Women's HM was, there
    are hills on the course, but my time should be better than at Nike,
    because I shouldn't have to walk any of it, unlike at Nike.

    --
    13.1 Because I can

  6. Wow, nice bullet dodge on the Achilles. I had the same good luck with my
    patellar tendonitis this week.

  7. "D Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Wow, nice bullet dodge on the Achilles. I had the same good luck with
    my patellar tendonitis this week.

    Tick, tick, tick........ 😉

    -DF

  8. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Ugh. This week went from unintended mileage jump to a step back when I
    missed a long run today. Running late last night meant not running
    early, busy during the day then didn't feel up to it this evening.

    Plan is 50 miles the next couple of weeks. A nice round number I've not
    hit before.

    Mon: DNR. weights
    Tue: 8k
    Wed: 10k
    Thu: 16k, weights
    Fri: 11k
    Sat: 13.7k
    Sun: DNR 🙁

    Total: 58.7km (36.4 miles)

    - Nicholas.

  9. Dodged a bullet with my patellar tendonitis -- I could hardly walk Friday
    night, but now appear to be back to 98%.

    Mon: 6 hike, 1200' climb. Can almost jog without patellar pain, maybe
    tomorrow.
    Tue: 11.5 2300' climb, vy easy. Just a hint of pain, but low energy despite
    the layoff.
    Wed: 8 easy on San Vicente grassway.
    Thu: 12.5, 11 at tempo effort, about 2000' climb, on Palos Verdes trails.
    Fri: 5 easy on the mean streets of LA before sunrise.
    Sat: 9 as 3 mile warmup, 5k race (hilly) in 20:23, 3 mile cooldown
    Sun: 18.6, 2500' climb, easy, ~9:15 pace. Nice to feel good after a
    race-day.

    70.6 miles, ~8000' of climb.

    The 5k race was a test -- if after all my mathematical machinations to
    adjust for elevation, rate of climb, windage and tidal forces, I did "good",
    I would go ahead with my marathon plans. Since I did not, I will
    regretfully pass on the Calif Int'l Marathon and wait until I run an
    18-something 5k. I lost focus (i.e. chickened out) and slowed after 2 miles
    for a couple of minutes, then let a goofy-footed 20-something kick me down
    at the end. Not a stellar performance. Only bright spot was that only one
    40+ finished ahead of me (I'm 56).

  10. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wow, nice bullet dodge on the Achilles. I had the same good luck with my
    patellar tendonitis this week.

    Tick, tick, tick........ 😉

    :-)

  11. D Stumpus said:

    I will regretfully pass on the Calif Int'l Marathon and wait until I run an
    18-something 5k.

    Hey, wanna try for next year? I'm thinking very seriouly about
    running that one - maybe we can meet up for a beer or something.

    Sorry the race (and its indications) did not go as well as you'd
    hoped, but I'm glad your knee trouble subsided so quickly.

    Karen

    live! vicariously!

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    D Stumpus said:

    Since I did not, I will regretfully pass on the Calif Int'l Marathon
    and wait until I run an 18-something 5k.

    A friend of mine cancelled running in the CIM too; she wrote the race
    director to let him know, so he could reassign her spot to another
    runner. Although she told him she understood there would be no refund,
    he offered to roll over her registration to 2008.

    The reason she chose not to run in it is that she won a drawing and will
    be sitting on the bench with the team at the Stanford women's basketball
    game that afternoon.

  13. 11/12 off, sick
    11/13 run 1:14 very easy 220' cinder
    11/14 run 1:17 easy 1100' 1/2 hiking trails
    11/15 run 0:43 very easy 160' cinder
    11/16 run 0:49 easy 180' cinder
    11/17 run 1:08 very easy 200' cinder
    11/18 run 2:14 easy 69% 1800' mostly hiking trails

    7:25 running, 3660' climb

    Not so great weather and didn't feel good all week, but still happy to get
    out there. Probably 5 hrs this coming week with holiday/relatives. Those
    colors are finally here, and the leaves are gettting deeper. Pretty but
    tretcherous footing over rocks, still there's no place I'd rather be 😉

    Goals:
    Build base with specificity: hiking trails and hills.
    Maintain weight, then lose.
    5ks in Spring, then escarpment in July.
    Orienteering next Spring, including the billygoat run April 13th. The
    billygoat is super fringe, a rare mass-start orienteering event in which you
    can skip any one checkpoint along the way. Leads to some fierce racing more
    than the usual time trial like orienteering race. I last did the billygoat
    back in 2002, coming in 40th place out of 95 finishers, with 12 DNFs. I was
    proud of that considering how little map/woods running I did leading up to
    that. The course (crow flies) was just 11.3km that year, but with 560 meters
    climb, through northeastern USA woodland. Winning time was 1:25, and I ran
    2:13 that year. The goal this year is top 1/3. If you're bored with normal
    running try trails, still bored, try orienteering 😉
    http://www.billygoat.org/

  14. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    Runs: 5
    Miles: 45.8
    Long: 16.5
    Time: 7:16

    5k race on Thursday.

  15. 30 miles, as

    Mo ---

    Tu 4 bad hamstring - which had apparently out of the blue
    decided to tighen up so much over a couple days that
    activities like walking, sitting, standing, and sleeping
    brought sharp bursts of pain - finally succumed to a
    combination of stretching, hot baths, massage & librium;
    yay, I can try to run again

    We 4, 4 can I banish this embarassing postrun soreness with twice
    daily short runs?

    Th --- apparently not

    Fr 4

    Sa 8 hey, legs are starting to feel more like I'd expect after
    a two month near-layoff - crappy, but like they do dimly
    recall having done this before and aren't gonna throw a
    tantrum about being asked to jog a lousy thiry-five minutes

    Su 6 uh oh: toward the end, got this acid reflux thing, like the
    last few times I tried to restart my running with the sinus
    infection (thanks, killer mold) that would not go away.
    Thought I might puke for a while there, but no. Was
    running quite easy and relaxed. Maybe I'll try doing a
    sinus rinse every day, not just when I definitely have an
    infection. Maybe consider another round of antibiotics
    which might have a chance of delivering a knockout blow
    now that the mold has been gone for a couple weeks.

    upcoming
    --------
    Move away from skinny-fat and toward skinny-skinny.

    Try to run more, poco a poco, to the extent it's compatible with my
    health, which seemed to fall off a cliff the week I turned forty back
    in September.

  16. Harder to dodge bullets in this part of the world...

    I hurt my knee in a bike crash almost 3 weeks ago.
    Subsequently biking (haha) was OK, but running painful,
    so I cut out almost all the running. Was at the track on Tuesday
    and ran lightly, but Wednesday and Thursday knee
    (right of knee cap on left knee) was more painful. Now it has
    eased back off, but still hurts when I press it...

    Mon: off
    Tues: 20' bike. 4km running.
    Wed: 20' bike. 45' Ex bike
    Thu: 20' bike. 1 hr Ex bike
    Fri: 1:50 bike.
    Sat: 1hr Ex bike 33km
    Sun: 1hr Ex bike 36km

    Total: 4km run, 6:30 bike.

    Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

  17. Tony S. a écrit :

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    day km mi time time/km time/mi type feel %HRavg
    Mon 16 9.9 01h22' 5'09" 8:18 E :-| 77
    Tue 11 6.8 00h54' 4'58" 8:00 E :-) 77
    Wed 11 6.8 00h55' 5'03" 8:07 E :-) 78
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    week 46 : 38 km 24 mi 03h12'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    last 8 weeks' average : 42 km 25 mi 03h31'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    year : 891 km 554 mi 81h16'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    DNR on sat-sun
    m

  18. "Charlie Pendejo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Tu 4 bad hamstring - which had apparently out of the blue
    decided to tighen up so much over a couple days that
    activities like walking, sitting, standing, and sleeping
    brought sharp bursts of pain - finally succumed to a
    combination of stretching, hot baths, massage & librium;
    yay, I can try to run again

    All these injuies(Dan Karen, you) - is this a byproduct of global
    warming? If you hamstring is testy and you contimue to run keep it
    warm - tights, sweatpants, etc. Don't get ballsy and try to run in
    shorts.

    -Doug

  19. Tony S. said:

    Greetings rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and goals.

    MON/
    TUE/
    WED ~1 hr

    THU DNR

    FRI ~1 hr

    SAT 2x ~1 hr

    SUN ~3 hr on bike

    More or less the same as the previous week, albeit on a variety of
    routes and conditions: slightly hilly or not so hilly, icy (in studded
    shoes) or not so icy, quite wet or not so wet, pitch dark or dark and
    cloudy.

    The promised <20 x 70s/20s session didn't materialize, but I did try
    to max out the (very un-Alpine) uphills on SUN.

    The week included two \o/:s (WED and FRI) and one very slight twinge
    near the ankle bone (which warranted an extra session of Achilles
    stretches).

    I'd like to keep this sort of thing going until Christmas at least,
    but I probably should have one easy (read: 50% of max quantity) week;
    I hope the weather forces me to it, so that I can say I practise what
    I preach.

    Anders

  20. joe positive said:

    Su: 22mi (7:35) w/club friends, so far so good

    I have difficulty hiding my envy, but here's hoping that another
    relatively light week - without a long run, I dare hope - should (1)
    produce a jolly good 10K race experience and (2) make sure that the
    emphasis in the above remains on "so good" also in hindsight.

    Anders

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.