Trams

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:41:18 -0000, "Robert D France"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)theres a new tram link being proposed near where i live (Birmingham town )centre to the airport,
:along the A45). )Having never ridden anywhere near a tram i am wondering what the )implications are
:for my riding.

Well before that gets the go-ahead, we'll have trams in Corporation St, Broad St. and one or two
others so you can get a feel of the problems !

The Public Inquiry into the Line ! extension continues tomorrow. I'm an objector to the scheme, but
not a vociferous one due to inexperience of such things.
--
Comm again, Mike.

"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:41:18 -0000, "Robert D France" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)theres a new tram link being proposed near where i live (Birmingham town )centre to the airport,
> :along the A45). )Having never ridden anywhere near a tram i am wondering what the )implications
> :are for my riding.
>
> Well before that gets the go-ahead, we'll have trams in Corporation St, Broad St. and one or two
> others so you can get a feel of the problems !
>
> The Public Inquiry into the Line ! extension continues tomorrow. I'm an objector to the scheme,
> but not a vociferous one due to inexperience of such things.

What's the problem with it?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:38:50 -0000, "John Mallard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )"Robert D France" <[email protected]> wrote in message )news:35UFb.1894$XZ2.786@news-
:binary.blueyonder.co.uk... )It's good that you make your concerns known. Reply to the consultation
:)document.

Better still, get along to the public Inquiry into the current extension scheme - to prepare
yourself for a battle if that one goes ahead and one down the A45 gets a step closer.

Better still, meet Mr BALDWIN !!!!!!!! He'll be able to tell you all the reasons for not having them
because there's several much better alternatives.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:21:10 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)the only people who can ensure it is ok for local cyclists *are* local )cyclists. so [see other
:threads] get engaged and make sure other )cyclists do the same.

Join Push Bikes and campaign !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:03:42 GMT, in
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:21:10 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>:)the only people who can ensure it is ok for local cyclists *are* local )cyclists. so [see other
>:threads] get engaged and make sure other )cyclists do the same.
>
>Join Push Bikes and campaign !

I left Pushbikes many years ago because on their group rides at the weekend they seemed to condone
red light jumping, pavement shortcutting, and one-way-street-wrong-waying. I once got left behind
because I refused to break the law.

They were from what I remember a VERY active voice for cyclists (in a good way) but I couldn't
associate myself with a group that I felt were a little hypocritical.

Perhaps the atmosphere and ethos has changed now?

Love and hugs from Rich x

--
Due to a typing error on the Children's Hospital menu Saturday evening now offers "Beef burger in a
bum". Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 00:01:45 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:)news:[email protected]... )> The Public Inquiry into the Line 1 extension
:continues tomorrow. )> I'm an objector to the scheme, but not a vociferous one due to )>
:inexperience of such things. ) )What's the problem with it? )

1 It's most likely not the best solution to whatever problem it claims to be solving.

2 It'd add to the congestion on the City Centre streets. Less vehicles on the streets it uses, so
those vehicles will turn up on other streets.

3 Tram tracks hazard

4 Closure of half of Broad Street to many vehicles - a good access road to the City.

5 Doubtful access to Broad Street from V Sq via new bridge over Queensway tunnel entrance shared
with trams/peds.

5 Alledged closure of short length of Broad St. (between Sheepcote Sts) causing cyclists' detour.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:10:21 +0000, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:03:42 GMT, in )<[email protected]>,
:)[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote: )> )>Join Push Bikes and campaign ! ) )I left
:pushbikes many years ago because on their group rides at the )weekend they seemed to condone red
:light jumping, pavement )shortcutting, and one-way-street-wrong-waying. I once got left behind
:)because I refused to break the law. ) )Perhaps the atmosphere and ethos has changed now? ) )Love
:and hugs from Rich x

Come back then ! Are you sure it was a PB ride and not a Critical Mass ride - which do tend to vary
the law a bit.

I've been on several Wednesday evening rides in the last 2-3 years and certainly no such
occurances stick in my mind - and I know they would have done if it had happened - certainly if it
was frequent/the norm. I think, but am not sure it was one of these rides where one of the riders
had a habit of using more pavements than he should have done, but he's not been on the rides for
some time.

Anyway, if it was the rides that were the problem, it shouldn't have stopped you fighting with us on
other matters !

http://www.pushbikes.freeserve.co.uk\AboutUs\joinus.htm
--
Comm again, Mike.

One problem with the trams in Wolverhampton.

Only one route! They have been a great help in getting around, and as was said, must be replacing
some car journeys or allowing other folk to travel around this benighted dump (Public transport here
is pretty poor)

We had hopes for a route through to Walsall tht would have improved our quality of life, but the
nimbys and bean counters got there first.

Richard Webb - Cyclist , motorist and tram user!

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:32:59 GMT, [email protected] (RJ
Webb) wrote:

:)One problem with the trams in Wolverhampton. ) )Only one route! ) )We had hopes for a route
:through to Walsall

That's the 5 Ws route - still planned:

Wolverhampton, Wednesfield, Willenhall, Walsall, Wednesbury.
--
Comm again, Mike.

>That's the 5 Ws route - still planned:
>
>Wolverhampton, Wednesfield, Willenhall, Walsall, Wednesbury.

Goody.....

That will be a great asset. Meanwhile I'm off to Congestionchargeville of the north to rejoin the
battle with greasy sets. Ive done my time.

Richard Webb