Treasure Island bike course change

A. J. said:

> For anyone racing Treasure Island next month, I just checked the web site
> and saw the course has been shortened to a 6 lap course, with most straight
> stretches less than a half mile. Any criterion experienced racers here that
> can provide some training or racing tips to prepare for this type of short
> course?
>
> -AJ
>
> http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2004/images/TI-Olympic-participant
> 04-we.gif

criterion
n. pl. cri·te·ri·a (-tîr-) or cri·te·ri·ons
A standard, rule, or test on which a judgment or decision can be based. See
Synonyms at standard.

Criterium
A criterium race consists of many laps around a short course. The course may
be a few city blocks. Criteriums are good for spectators, less popular with
racers.

A criterium bicycle will often have a somewhat higher bottom bracket than a
road-racing bicycle, to allow pedalling through the turns (there are a lot
of turns in a criterium!) Criterium bicycles are designed with a particular
eye to manoeuvrability, because the peloton in a criterium is likely to be
large and dense. Criterium bicycles are not usually built for comfort.

Common mix-up.

HTH,
Steve = : ^ )

Spell checker strikes again, thank for the pompous reply and quote from
Websters.

"Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD84519A.4264E%[email protected]...
> A. J. said:
>
> > For anyone racing Treasure Island next month, I just checked the web

site
> > and saw the course has been shortened to a 6 lap course, with most

straight
> > stretches less than a half mile. Any criterion experienced racers here

that
> > can provide some training or racing tips to prepare for this type of

short
> > course?
> >
> > -AJ

http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2004/images/TI-Olympic-participant
> > 04-we.gif

> criterion
> n. pl. cri·te·ri·a (-tîr-) or cri·te·ri·ons
> A standard, rule, or test on which a judgment or decision can be based.

See
> Synonyms at standard.
>
> Criterium
> A criterium race consists of many laps around a short course. The course

may
> be a few city blocks. Criteriums are good for spectators, less popular

with
> racers.
>
> A criterium bicycle will often have a somewhat higher bottom bracket than

> road-racing bicycle, to allow pedalling through the turns (there are a lot
> of turns in a criterium!) Criterium bicycles are designed with a

particular
> eye to manoeuvrability, because the peloton in a criterium is likely to be
> large and dense. Criterium bicycles are not usually built for comfort.
>
> Common mix-up.
>
> HTH,
> Steve = : ^ )

I can do pompous but that wasn't it. If it was me, (and it used to be until
I saw it printed somewhere) I'd want to know, and I foolishly assumed you'd
want the same.

My bad,
Steve = : ^ \

A. J. said:

> Spell checker strikes again, thank for the pompous reply and quote from
> Websters.
>
> "Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BD84519A.4264E%[email protected]...
>> A. J. said:
>>
>>> For anyone racing Treasure Island next month, I just checked the web

> site
>>> and saw the course has been shortened to a 6 lap course, with most

> straight
>>> stretches less than a half mile. Any criterion experienced racers here

> that
>>> can provide some training or racing tips to prepare for this type of

> short
>>> course?
>>>
>>> -AJ
>>>

> http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2004/images/TI-Olympic-participant
>>> 04-we.gif

>> criterion
>> n. pl. cri·te·ri·a (-tîr-) or cri·te·ri·ons
>> A standard, rule, or test on which a judgment or decision can be based.

> See
>> Synonyms at standard.
>>
>> Criterium
>> A criterium race consists of many laps around a short course. The course

> may
>> be a few city blocks. Criteriums are good for spectators, less popular

> with
>> racers.
>>
>> A criterium bicycle will often have a somewhat higher bottom bracket than

>> road-racing bicycle, to allow pedalling through the turns (there are a lot
>> of turns in a criterium!) Criterium bicycles are designed with a

> particular
>> eye to manoeuvrability, because the peloton in a criterium is likely to be
>> large and dense. Criterium bicycles are not usually built for comfort.
>>
>> Common mix-up.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Steve = : ^ )

I do appreciate the correct spelling, just wasn't happy with the
presentation.
As I do not have the resources for a dedicated criterium bike for this
race, do you have any other tips on technique or training drills that would
be useful? I assume that good bike handling through the turns and
acceleration on the short straights is key, much more than flat out speed.
This should also be interesting avoiding a penalty with the no drafting
rule. 1200 racers, with at least half on the 4 mile course together.

Any one with similar race experience? Getting nervous as this is only my
3rd triathlon and the first two were smaller local events. I'm sure I'll
loose a minute or two just looking for my bike.

A.J.

news:BD849887.426F1%[email protected]...

A. J. said:

> I do appreciate the correct spelling, just wasn't happy with the
> presentation.
> As I do not have the resources for a dedicated criterium bike for this
> race, do you have any other tips on technique or training drills that would
> be useful? I assume that good bike handling through the turns and
> acceleration on the short straights is key, much more than flat out speed.
> This should also be interesting avoiding a penalty with the no drafting
> rule. 1200 racers, with at least half on the 4 mile course together.
>
> Any one with similar race experience? Getting nervous as this is only my
> 3rd triathlon and the first two were smaller local events. I'm sure I'll
> loose a minute or two just looking for my bike.

I've seen a few people gaffer tape a flag on a stick to the bike rack to
mark their bike but, other than that, just spend a few minutes practicing
getting to your bike from the swim exit and from the bike entry.

I have no experience in bike races with tight turns but you're probably on
the money when you say training drills. Just find somewhere to practise some
tight laps with short straights.

HTH,
Steve = : ^ )

"A. J." <ajinsig99@hotmail_ns.com> wrote:

>For anyone racing Treasure Island next month, I just checked the web site
>and saw the course has been shortened to a 6 lap course, with most straight
>stretches less than a half mile. Any criterion experienced racers here that
>can provide some training or racing tips to prepare for this type of short
>course?
>
>-AJ

Well, it's not really going to be like a crit because you won't have
the whole pack starting together. Unless it's draft legal, there
shouldn't be a pack cornering together. That's the good news.

The bad news is that unlike a crit, where most of the riders know what
they're doing, you'll be racing with folks who may have never cornered
at speed with anyone around them. Worse, the wave starts insure that
you'll be passing slower and inexperienced riders constantly.

Frankly, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Forget crit
techniques. Just try to stay out of trouble. Don't depend on anyone
doing the expected.

Watch particularly for newbies going deep into a corner from the
inside then coming all the way outside because of momentum.

Be patient, and don't try to pass in the corners.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"