It seems like the 2100 is a much better bike than the 1000 (that i have), yet not much less of a bike than the Trek 5000 (when comparing components). Would it be a wise investment to upgrade from my 1000 to the 2100 or (if i'm gonna do it) should i go fancier?
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Trek 1000 versus 2100
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 27 October 2004
- Last activity
- 28 October 2004
- Original author
- Scott'sTrek1000
- Posts
- 10
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,445
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Scott'sTrek1000 said:
It seems like the 2100 is a much better bike than the 1000 (that i have), yet not much less of a bike than the Trek 5000 (when comparing components). Would it be a wise investment to upgrade from my 1000 to the 2100 or (if i'm gonna do it) should i go fancier?
$1,679.99 US sounds like a lot of scratch for a Shimano 105 equipped bike. I just saw a 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse sell on ebay for $640. It's full 105 and you'd have plenty of money left over for pedals and various upgrades. There's no way I'd spend more than $1,100 on a 105 equpped bike. You could find a decent bike with the Ultegra group for that much.
Unfortunately, my bid on that item was $630. 😠 Thought I had her.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7108051090&rd=1
Honestly, you should just get a decent set of wheels for your Trek 1000 that you just wrecked and get some use out of it. There's nothing wrong with that bike, unless it was damaged in the accident.
-
Scott'sTrek1000 said:
It seems like the 2100 is a much better bike than the 1000 (that i have), yet not much less of a bike than the Trek 5000 (when comparing components). Would it be a wise investment to upgrade from my 1000 to the 2100 or (if i'm gonna do it) should i go fancier?
It's nearly impossible to know what will be the best for your future.
Trek provides good value and good suuport to their dealers for warranty issues. Carbon Fiber frames like 5000 from Trek will need the coverage if you ride them enough... as will the 2100 carbon fiber stays. Components have a whole different life situation. Good standard wheels can easily last for 20 years if properly maintained and not involved in any catostrophic events. Better level shifters, etc. have longer warrantees.. some 1 year some 2, some 3. Shimano Shift/Brake levers are very difficult to service and repair. Shimano's new bottom bracket (Like the one on current DURA ACE, XTR, and XT) provides for great mechanical interface to the crank arms. However, Campagnolo components have proven over decades to provide great serviceability and suitable durability for all but the most extreme road cycling situations. -
Awesome info. It's just that my frame is too small now (50cm...lbs didn't advise me well) and I've got it in my head that I NEED a new bike. I just want to have better info (compared to none when i bought the 1000) to make a good decision next time.
-
daveornee said:
Trek provides good value and good suuport to their dealers for warranty issues. Carbon Fiber frames like 5000 from Trek will need the coverage if you ride them enough... as will the 2100 carbon fiber stays.I don't understand that.Warranty is for defects in materials and workmanship, not long term durability.But if it comes apart at a joint or delaminates 10 years from now,Trek will fix it,wheras with frames with a lesser time frame warrany you would be SOL in most cases.But some makers will make things right just for PR. Trek is good on waranty and dealer support, but there are better bang for buck makers. so it depends on what one might need for 'comfort factor'. I never bought a bike for warranty or durability.
-
Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Awesome info. It's just that my frame is too small now (50cm...lbs didn't advise me well) and I've got it in my head that I NEED a new bike. I just want to have better info (compared to none when i bought the 1000) to make a good decision next time.
Ok I am going out on a limb here but, I am guessing you only have one Trek dealer in your town. (If not then don't go back to the same one) Anyhow, if thats true, you are considering going back to the same store that has a history of selling you an improperly fitted bike? Trek makes a great bike, although I don't personally like them because I like to ride more unique brands, but not good enough to make up for a poor fitting at the same LBS. Look at other stores and get a proper fit even if it means buying another brand.
On a side note, I would get at least Ultegra if you can spring for it when you are ready to upgrade.
-
For what it is worth, I bought a Trek 2100 a couple months ago from my dealer for $1000 plus they gave me $100 trade-in for my old Trek steel bike that I had paid $400 for in 1994. They were making room for the 2005's and wanted to clear out the 2004's (they no longer make the 2100 so you shouldn't have to pay list price). I really like the 2100 and for $900 it was a bargain. I bet I will have this one for 10 years or more.
-
Good advice on not going back to the lbs. I will just find another...even though it's out of town...but, so was the other. Yeah, it pisses me off that they did that to me. They should have known better. Screw em. I'm tryin another. Or I may just go with some other brand. Who knows. It's too confusing. Thanks for the info.
-
Lots of better bang for the buck makers like Felt but some need the security of a better warr. We are not all rich. I went on a short test ride of a 05 2300,very nice and looks good to. I know,i dont buy a bike on looks,warranty,brand,ect.
-
Jim R said:
For what it is worth, I bought a Trek 2100 a couple months ago from my dealer for $1000 plus they gave me $100 trade-in for my old Trek steel bike that I had paid $400 for in 1994. They were making room for the 2005's and wanted to clear out the 2004's (they no longer make the 2100 so you shouldn't have to pay list price). I really like the 2100 and for $900 it was a bargain. I bet I will have this one for 10 years or more.
Actually they still do make the 2100. There is a 2005 model listed on Trek's site www2.trekbikes.comindex.phpOpen ↗So make sure you know what year bike they are quoting you a price on. The 2004 model should be cheaper or else wait a few months if you can. Or else put an order in and it should be there in a few weeks. Next week I get my 2005 Trek 1200.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.