Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Trek 5200 - 5900 - Madone 5.9

Started by D.P.G. · · Last activity · 39 posts · 4,725 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 November 2003
Last activity
24 November 2003
Original author
D.P.G.
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,725
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I average
    about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50 miles. My
    average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase of
    either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the bike
    club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would hate to do so and find no
    improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short test ride.

  2. D.P.G. said:

    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I average
    about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50 miles.
    My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase
    of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the
    bike club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would hate to do so and
    find no improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short test ride.

    The lighter bikes will make you very slightly quicker up long hills, very slightly slower down long
    hills, and the difference on flat ground will be too small to make any real difference. You already
    have an excellent bike, and the new one won't make you beat people who used to beat you. You can
    gain much more from training than from new expensive hardware.

    Dave Lehnen

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Dave Lehnen

    Quoted message said:
    D.P.G. said:

    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I
    average about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and
    50 miles. My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with
    the purchase of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the
    members of the bike club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would
    hate to do so and find no improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short
    test ride.

    Quoted message said:

    The lighter bikes will make you very slightly quicker up long hills, very slightly slower down
    long hills, and the difference on flat ground will be too small to make any real difference. You
    already have an excellent bike, and the new one won't make you beat people who used to beat you.
    You can gain much more from training than from new expensive hardware.

    Dave's recommendations are all very true, and indeed if you have the money to spend, you could spend
    it on personal coaching for much greater gains.

    However, I'd like to encourage you to buy a new Trek anyways, especially if you take about a 52cm
    frame. It's the rapid turnover by well-heeled leading-edge riders like you that makes the vast
    selection of used bicycles at good prices available to cheap scrounger riders like me. The 5900 is
    slightly lighter than the Madone, but the Madone is slightly more aero and is still lighter than
    your old and busted 5200. If you're a hillclimb specialist, the 5900 is the best choice (Be Like
    Lance and mount a left-side DT shifter. It's very cool), otherwise go for the Madone.

    Either way, I--er, _you_, can't go wrong.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by D.P.G.
    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I average
    about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50 miles. My
    average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase of
    either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the bike
    club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would hate to do so and find no
    improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short test ride.


    -----------------

    Yes, to back up Ryan, I would say if you are a 52cm you definitely should go to any other bike, it's time...Come on, who in his right mind wants to be seen on a 5200 (Ryan, am I right?), you need the 5.9.
    Don't get the wrong idea here, but how much do you want for the 5200 and how soon would you be able to bring it over?

    C'Rider
    President - NY Chapter - "CRAWCE"
    (Cannondale Riders Afflicted With Carbon Envy)

  5. Quoted message said:

    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2


    years

    Quoted message said:

    5000 miles. I average about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range
    between 20 and 50 miles. My average speed on group


    rides

    Quoted message said:

    is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase of either the 5900 or the Madone
    5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the bike club. I don't mind spending
    the money for either of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    bike's but would hate to do so and find no improvement. I tried the 5900


    but

    Quoted message said:

    it's hard to tell from one short test ride.

    It's going to be tough to tell the differences on a short ride, as all three bikes have virtually
    identical geometries... my guess is that the biggest initial difference you'll notice will come from
    the lighter wheels on either the Madone or 5900.

    The Madone or 5900 both have nicer equipment than what you're presently riding, and that might have
    an effect on how much you enjoy the bike, more so than the slight weight difference between them.
    The Madone is a whopping 2 ounces heavier than the identically-equipped 5900 we have in our Redwood
    City location; compared to your 5200, there will be about a 1.5 pound weight difference. Enough to
    feel climbing a hill? Probably not when seated, but when you're standing and the bike's moving
    side-to-side underneath you, it becomes (at least to me) noticeable.

    I'd go for the new bike because it seems like something new & exciting, and maybe that will make you
    want to ride more. But don't look for either one to improve your speed to a significant degree on a
    group ride, aside from the excitement of something new (and know that it's about as good as you can
    possibly get) making you ride harder.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  6. "D.P.G." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<Zsztb.206681$Tr4.610046@attbi_s03>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I average
    about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50 miles.
    My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase
    of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the
    bike club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would hate to do so and
    find no improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short test ride.

    Dear D.P.G.,

    Notice that you improve from 19 to 20.5 mph merely by riding in groups. Either you're drafting, your
    group picks easier rides, or you're enjoying the benefit of pacing, a polite phrase for not dozing
    off quite so much because there's company and you'd like to be ahead of them.

    If Lance Armstrong found a bike that increased his speed almost 8%, he certainly wouldn't let anyone
    sell it to the rest of us.

    Carl Fogel

  7. nobody-<< I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I
    average about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50
    miles. My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the
    purchase of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. >><BR><BR>

    No, and it would be a shame if a bike seller said you would, then didn't.

    Bicycle equipment is hyped way out of proportion to what it actually doies in bicycle performance.
    There are really only four things that make a difference-

    -fit-does your bike fit ya? -fitness-are you? -fat, lack thereof on you -finesse-riding and
    racing smart

    all else, like the difference between the 5200, 5900, madone, is minor to non-existent.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    compared to your 5200, there will be about a 1.5 pound weight difference. Enough to feel climbing
    a hill? Probably not when seated, but when you're standing and the bike's moving side-to-side
    underneath you, it becomes (at least to me) noticeable.

    1.5 lbs = 0.8% of rider+bike weight, or so...

    That's about 11 seconds on Old La Honda.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA terrymorse.combike

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Qui si parla

    Campagnolo) said:

    nobody-<< I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1
    1/2 years 5000 miles. I average about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides
    range between 20 and 50 miles. My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will
    gain anything with the purchase of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. >><BR><BR>

    No, and it would be a shame if a bike seller said you would, then didn't.

    Bicycle equipment is hyped way out of proportion to what it actually doies in bicycle performance.
    There are really only four things that make a difference-

    -fit-does your bike fit ya? -fitness-are you? -fat, lack thereof on you -finesse-riding and
    racing smart

    all else, like the difference between the 5200, 5900, madone, is minor to non-existent.

    Peter! You're ruining everything!

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    compared to your 5200, there will be about a 1.5 pound weight difference. Enough to feel
    climbing a hill? Probably not when seated,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    when you're standing and the bike's moving side-to-side underneath you,


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    becomes (at least to me) noticeable.

    1.5 lbs = 0.8% of rider+bike weight, or so...

    That's about 11 seconds on Old La Honda.

    By noticeable, I didn't mean time-wise. I find I can detect pretty small differences in weight when
    standing, where I'm essentially isolating my weight from the machine. The bike simply feels very
    different (not as much mass moving from side-to-side). When seated, the weight is all part of the
    package, everything moving together.

    However, how a bike "feels" can have a major effect on your effort. We have a customer who
    upgraded from an older LeMond Tourmalet to a Zurich, perhaps a four pound difference in weight,
    probably a bit less than that. He came in complaining about the setup of the new bike, because he
    was getting knee pains. We checked things over very carefully; the two bikes were *identical*
    (same shoes & pedals from his old bike too). Easy to do, since they had the same geometry. The
    difference? He was climbing Old LaHonda literally four minutes faster than before. His new bike
    was simply more fun to ride in some manner, such that he felt like going all-out in a way that was
    a bit much for his knees.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  11. Ryan Cousineau said:

    Dave's recommendations are all very true, and indeed if you have the money to spend, you could
    spend it on personal coaching for much greater gains.

    Quoted message said:

    However, I'd like to encourage you to buy a new Trek anyways, especially if you take about a 52cm
    frame. It's the rapid turnover by well-heeled leading-edge riders like you that makes the vast
    selection of used bicycles at good prices available to cheap scrounger riders like me. The 5900 is
    slightly lighter than the Madone, but the Madone is slightly more aero and is still lighter than
    your old and busted 5200. If you're a hillclimb specialist, the 5900 is the best choice (Be Like
    Lance and mount a left-side DT shifter. It's very cool), otherwise go for the Madone.

    Quoted message said:

    Either way, I--er, _you_, can't go wrong.

    But shouldn't you be spending the money on coaching, Ryan?

  12. In article 3fb98fae$1@darkstar said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    Dave's recommendations are all very true, and indeed if you have the money to spend, you could
    spend it on personal coaching for much greater gains.

    Quoted message said:

    However, I'd like to encourage you to buy a new Trek anyways, especially if you take about a
    52cm frame. It's the rapid turnover by well-heeled leading-edge riders like you that makes the
    vast selection of used bicycles at good prices available to cheap scrounger riders like me. The
    5900 is slightly lighter than the Madone, but the Madone is slightly more aero and is still
    lighter than your old and busted 5200. If you're a hillclimb specialist, the 5900 is the best
    choice (Be Like Lance and mount a left-side DT shifter. It's very cool), otherwise go for the
    Madone.

    Quoted message said:

    Either way, I--er, _you_, can't go wrong.

    But shouldn't you be spending the money on coaching, Ryan?

    Stripped for racing, my current bike weighs something like 22 pounds. A Trek OCLV with good
    components would probably hit 16-17. I'm probably within 8 pounds of my goal weight (150) for next
    year already, and in an easy trajectory to lose that much before the races start next year.

    Yeah, the coaching would probably still help more, but I may be the only guy in this ng who can
    honestly claim that the weight difference between these two bikes would make a performance
    difference for the racing I do.

    But then, that's not really the point, is it?
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  13. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Reality, what a concept....

    Reality is for people that can't handle drugs ...

  14. "Andrew Price" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Reality, what a concept....

    Reality is for people that can't handle drugs ...

    Reality is for those who lack imagination.

  15. Ryan Cousineau said:
    Quoted message said:

    But shouldn't you be spending the money on coaching, Ryan?

    Quoted message said:

    Stripped for racing, my current bike weighs something like 22 pounds. A Trek OCLV with good
    components would probably hit 16-17. I'm probably within 8 pounds of my goal weight (150) for next
    year already, and in an easy trajectory to lose that much before the races start next year.

    Yeah, right. Don't believe everything you read on TV. A google search of this group suggests that a
    Trek 5200 weighs 18-19 lbs without pedals (or cages presumably). A 22 lb bike is already fairly
    light. To get to 16-17 with pedals you probably need very light components and/or very light wheels
    with tubulars, at least.

    Last year I was loitering with one of the local D3 pros at a race. His new bike was sick light. He
    also estimated it would cost over $5000 retail.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, the coaching would probably still help more, but I may be the only guy in this ng who can
    honestly claim that the weight difference between these two bikes would make a performance
    difference for the racing I do.

    What kind of racing is that? Bike toss? BTW, I have a 28 lb touring-bike cyclocross conversion, and
    I actually have to carry the monster :-P I still get beat by ripped older guys on full-squish
    mountain bikes, because as always, it is about the rider.

    Quoted message said:

    But then, that's not really the point, is it?
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

    Well, it is if you want Fabrizio to respect you, and that is a major part of racing, after all.

    I am the last person who should be giving out coaching advice on Usenet, but here goes. Based on
    what you've said elsewhere, start doing longer rides as base or preparation training. If you have
    comfort or fit issues that keep you from doing a five hour ride, spend money to resolve that
    (saddle, professional fitting, etc). Do long rides with people that are faster than you and you'll
    get faster, or die trying, IME.

    Ben

  16. D.P.G. said:

    I have been riding a Trek 5200 Stock from the factory for about 1 1/2 years 5000 miles. I average
    about 19 MPH riding alone on a good mix of flats and hills. Rides range between 20 and 50 miles.
    My average speed on group rides is 20.5 MPH. Do you think I will gain anything with the purchase
    of either the 5900 or the Madone 5.9. I have heard many different opinions from the members of the
    bike club. I don't mind spending the money for either of the bike's but would hate to do so and
    find no improvement. I tried the 5900 but it's hard to tell from one short test ride.

    I have a 5200 and have absolutely no plans of upgrading whatsoever, since I am so happy with it.
    However the Madone is such a beautiful bike that I would like to have it for that reason only. Maybe
    I'll buy a Madone frame and sell my 5200 frame, maybe. I've got a lot of DA stuff on already so the
    main thing would be the wheels, Ok I only have 9 speed. Well I just built my first couple of wheels
    a week ago and.....

    I think you're already a sucker for a new bike, so go for the Madone since it looks so damn hot.
    Everything else is about as equal as it can get if you're not doing le Tour.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  17. Quoted message said:

    Yeah, right. Don't believe everything you read on TV. A google search of this group suggests that
    a Trek 5200 weighs 18-19 lbs without pedals (or cages presumably). A 22 lb bike is already fairly
    light. To get to 16-17 with pedals you probably need very light components and/or very light
    wheels with tubulars, at least.

    The "googled" weights listed of the 5200 are accurate, just as the 15 lbs, 10 ounces w/o pedals is
    an accurate, verified weight for a 58cm Madone about 30 feet away from where I sit. Toss in pedals
    at a pound or less, and you're in the 16-17 pound range on the stock bike with no extraordinary
    effort (aside from losing a bit of pocket change!).

    Who reads TV anyway?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

  18. In article 3fbabb1c$1@darkstar said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:
    Quoted message said:

    But shouldn't you be spending the money on coaching, Ryan?

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, right. Don't believe everything you read on TV. A google search of this group suggests that
    a Trek 5200 weighs 18-19 lbs without pedals (or cages presumably). A 22 lb bike is already fairly
    light. To get to 16-17 with pedals you probably need very light components and/or very light
    wheels with tubulars, at least.

    Touche. But you know, my bike is lugged. That can't be aerodynamic 🙂. Seriously. I love the bike.
    The most fun part is beating expensive bikes.

    Quoted message said:

    Last year I was loitering with one of the local D3 pros at a race. His new bike was sick light. He
    also estimated it would cost over $5000 retail.

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, the coaching would probably still help more, but I may be the only guy in this ng who can
    honestly claim that the weight difference between these two bikes would make a performance
    difference for the racing I do.

    What kind of racing is that? Bike toss? BTW, I have a 28 lb touring-bike cyclocross conversion,
    and I actually have to carry the monster :-P I still get beat by ripped older guys on full-squish
    mountain bikes, because as always, it is about the rider.

    Okay, yes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But then, that's not really the point, is it?
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
    Fan Club

    Well, it is if you want Fabrizio to respect you, and that is a major part of racing, after all.

    Are you kidding? Fabrizio wants me to get on a decent Cannondale Saeco replica, and then work on the
    training 🙂.

    Quoted message said:

    I am the last person who should be giving out coaching advice on Usenet, but here goes. Based on
    what you've said elsewhere, start doing longer rides as base or preparation training. If you have
    comfort or fit issues that keep you from doing a five hour ride, spend money to resolve that
    (saddle, professional fitting, etc). Do long rides with people that are faster than you and you'll
    get faster, or die trying, IME.

    Oh, I know. My weekend rides should be nice serious multi-hour tours. Right now they're nonexistent.
    Maybe I'll try joining the 80 km "easy spin" ride that runs on Sundays... (easy spin = 3 hours!)

    At some point, my racing goals will start conflicting with my ability to put in riding time. When
    that happens, the goals will give way. Racing is a fun way for me to gain fitness (horses for
    courses; I know some people who enjoy riding 600 km in 40 hours...who knows why...), and I do want
    to win a race or two and Cat up this year. We'll see.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  19. A bit against the grain:

    it is possible to get a small gain from your material esp at the higher speeds.

    Aero dynamic wheels can really help you a few %.

    The supposed time difference with the madone is quite silly tough🙂

    And yes, yes, yes🙂 Training+ a good fitting bike are way more important. But if you have those bases covered and you still use standard wheels (and have the moolah): it is a relatively decent upgrade to get some custom wheels.

    -Personal and unwanted advice: I think a well made steel or Aluminium frame with your own custom painting beats a run of the mill (lmao!) Trek Madone any day. It's probably cheaper (you can go as crazy as you want) and it is unique, it is truly yours.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction

    Bicycles said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, right. Don't believe everything you read on TV. A google search of this group suggests
    that a Trek 5200 weighs 18-19 lbs without pedals (or cages presumably). A 22 lb bike is already
    fairly light. To get to 16-17 with pedals you probably need very light components and/or very
    light wheels with tubulars, at least.

    The "googled" weights listed of the 5200 are accurate, just as the 15 lbs, 10 ounces w/o pedals is
    an accurate, verified weight for a 58cm Madone about 30 feet away from where I sit. Toss in pedals
    at a pound or less, and you're in the 16-17 pound range on the stock bike with no extraordinary
    effort (aside from losing a bit of pocket change!).

    Who reads TV anyway?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

    POCKET CHANGE????

    You call $5800 bucks pocket change???

    I am going into the bicycle business! I will make a million dollars in no time.

    Of course, I will have to start with 2 million...)

    HAND

    --
    ³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

    - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.