Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Trek 8000 frame out of alignment

Started by Frank · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,973 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
26 April 2003
Last activity
29 April 2003
Original author
Frank
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,973
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently bought a TREK 8000 (2003 year model). All components are stock. Ever since I got it I
    have had problems with the drive chain. I'm constantly experiencing a thrown chain and chain suck.
    It even happens on smooth hard pack trails. The LSB have adjusted the drive chain twice but it has
    not solved the problem.

    Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where the
    rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a difference of
    3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference – less than 1mm. That
    tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?

    To support why I believe it is a misaligned frame I mounted the wheel opposite and measured the same
    distances again. All measurements were as before within 0.3mm. That proves the wheel is correct and
    the frame is out of alignment. Besides that this is unacceptable I'm wondering if this could explain
    why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    I unmounted and remounted the wheel several times to be sure it was properly seated. I was able to
    repeat all measurements within 0.2mm.

    What's an acceptable tolerance for a frame?

    Any suggestions and help are highly appreciated.

    Frank

  2. On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Frank) blathered:

    Quoted message said:

    Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where the
    rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a difference
    of 3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference – less than 1mm.
    That tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?

    Could be, but not necessarily; just because the seatstays aren't exactly symmetrical it doesn't mean
    the rear wheel dropouts are misaligned relative to the rest of the frame. How does it ride
    'no-hands'? Search the web - you can check frame alignment by running a bit of string from your
    dropouts, forward round your headtube and back:

    Two thirds of the way down this page - sheldonbrown.comframe spacing.html Also -
    yarchive.netframe bending.html

    Quoted message said:

    if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    Pete
    ----
    btinternet.com~peteajones

  3. Pete Jones <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Frank) blathered:

    Quoted message said:

    Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where
    the rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a
    difference of 3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference ? less
    than 1mm. That tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?

    Could be, but not necessarily; just because the seatstays aren't exactly symmetrical it doesn't
    mean the rear wheel dropouts are misaligned relative to the rest of the frame. How does it ride
    'no-hands'?

    It probably rides like most trek frames with no hands, veering to one side or the other due to
    warpage in the heat treating process. They can be quite ridiculous in that respect.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such [censored]
    components? I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

    JD

  4. On 26 Apr 2003 07:02:31 -0700, [email hidden] (JD) blathered:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such [censored]
    components? I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

    I'd never experienced chainsuck until I bought the 8000 with its crappy Bontrager chainset.

    Chainsuck FAQ - fagan.co.zaCsuck

    Pete
    ----
    btinternet.com~peteajones

  5. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pete Jones <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Frank) blathered:

    Quoted message said:

    if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such [censored]
    components?

    Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower price
    points. He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru. He probably gets a pretty sweet
    salary and royalties from the deal (I don't know the specifics.) AFAIK: Bontrager components is
    owned by Trek.

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

    Bontrager cranks are re-branded Truvativ. Isn't that right?

    -Barry

  6. I woudnt sweat the frame alignment thing until you take it to an LBS and had it checked with an
    alignment tool. My 8000's rear triangle is not close to looking straight, but when looked at on a
    jig, its fine.

    In regards to Bonti stuff, yes they are owned by Trek, but some of their stuff...a lot if it
    actually is quite good. I just picked up a set of Bonti Maverick hoops and glad I did. Ill take
    American made Bonti/Trek over that frog [censored] from Paris any day.

    "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:GjIqa.659939$S_4.708423@rwcrnsc53...

    Quoted message said:


    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pete Jones <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Frank) blathered:
    >if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such
    [censored] components?

    Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower price
    points. He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru. He probably gets a pretty sweet
    salary and royalties from the deal (I don't know the specifics.) AFAIK: Bontrager components is
    owned by Trek.

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

    Bontrager cranks are re-branded Truvativ. Isn't that right?

    -Barry

  7. My Trek 6500 (2002) had a similar problem re the Bontrager components. I quickly replaced the rear
    derailler with a shimano LX and it has made a world of difference.

  8. "B. Sanders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<GjIqa.659939$S_4.708423@rwcrnsc53>...

    Quoted message said:

    "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pete Jones <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email hidden] (Frank) blathered:
    >if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

    Bontrager components....?

    After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such
    [censored] components?

    Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower
    price points.

    He sold his name, so it's ultimately his fault.

    Quoted message said:

    He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru.

    Either they're not listening, or he's not consulting.

    Quoted message said:

    He probably gets a pretty sweet salary and royalties from the deal.

    Sweet salary? What's that, sugar-coated cash? (pun intended) If selling my name to The Machine means
    losing personal integrity by having it plastered all over [censored] components, the salary could only be
    BITTER. Money doesn't mean [censored] if you sell your Soul.

    JD

  9. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sweet salary? What's that, sugar-coated cash? (pun intended) If selling my name to The Machine
    means losing personal integrity by having it plastered all over [censored] components, the salary could
    only be BITTER. Money doesn't mean [censored] if you sell your Soul.

    JD

    "What profit a man that gains the world and loses his own soul."

    I used to think that was a badass quote when Dracula said it to me in Castlevania, then I found out
    it was from the Bible. It's still appropriate for Ken's situation, though.

    For what it's worth, the Bontrager seatpost on my beater works like a champ
    🙂

    Chris (is just breaking KB's balls...I really like Bontrager wheels, and I don't care what anyone
    has to say about it)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.