Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

trek 820 brakes

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 844 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
12 March 2007
Last activity
11 May 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
844
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

    No no go V brakes, all your need to change is the levers to V brake
    levers.With V brakes your find they stop better and their way easier
    to set up. I did it 10 years ago and never looked back.

  3. Crazy Fred said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

    No no go V brakes, all your need to change is the levers to V brake
    levers.With V brakes your find they stop better and their way easier
    to set up. I did it 10 years ago and never looked back.

    Ok, Ill take that direction. Thanks for the advice. One other thing
    tho. I have no experience with bikes, and Im concerned about getting
    brakes that are the correct size for the brake posts on my frame. Or
    is that a universal size among all bikes. Also, is there any
    affordable brand that you would recommend?

  4. Quoted message said:
    Crazy Fred said:

    On Mar 12, 2:13 pm, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

    Quoted message said:

    No no go V brakes, all your need to change is the levers to V brake
    levers.With V brakes your find they stop better and their way easier
    to set up. I did it 10 years ago and never looked back.

    Ok, Ill take that direction. Thanks for the advice. One other thing
    tho. I have no experience with bikes, and Im concerned about getting
    brakes that are the correct size for the brake posts on my frame. Or
    is that a universal size among all bikes. Also, is there any
    affordable brand that you would recommend?

    OKAY I do. Your in business I had a 1996 Trek 820 ,my upgrade from a
    department store bike. And that was back in 96. Tektro or Shimano
    Deore.

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

    Nashbar makes decent cantis. I believe they are actually made by Tektro.
    If you get Vs, you will need to get new levers as well.

  6. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an old trek 820 chromoly with some shimano altus ct90 brakes
    that have fallen apart. The plastic spring holder has broke on them
    and the brakes drag on the rim. I need to know what replacement
    cantilever brakes would be most appropriate for my bike. I was
    considering using shimano altus ct91 brakes. I figured that this
    model would likely be compatable with the old trek.

    Nashbar makes decent cantis. I believe they are actually made by Tektro.
    If you get Vs, you will need to get new levers as well.

    My Bike Was Stolen Tonight! I had made the shimano Vbrake upgrade
    which was fantastic along with a new seat. The thing was perfect for
    my needs. What are my options for finding it?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.