Trek ending relationship with Lemond?

Steve Braun

Guest
I heard that Lemond's contract with Trek expires soon. Any info on weather
they'll extend their relationship or part ways. Are we approaching "last
call" for Lemonds?

I'm sure Trek would love to make the most our of their relationship with
Armstrong and an Armstrong branded bike makes sense. Of course, there is no
love lost between Armstrong and Lemond so I wouldn't be surprised if the
Lemond brand had to go to make room for Armstrong's.

"Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I heard that Lemond's contract with Trek expires soon. Any info on weather
> they'll extend their relationship or part ways. Are we approaching "last
> call" for Lemonds?

In article <[email protected]>,
Donn Deniston <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm sure Trek would love to make the most our of their relationship with
>Armstrong and an Armstrong branded bike makes sense. Of course, there is no
>love lost between Armstrong and Lemond so I wouldn't be surprised if the
>Lemond brand had to go to make room for Armstrong's.

Greg LeMond was involved in the design of the original LeMond bicycles
and the current bikes sold by Trek use the same geometry. LeMond's
books describe the geometry and his fitting ideas in detail.

Armstrong says he uses stock Trek geometry. I'm not really sure what
value Armstrong could bring to a brand name, other than poseur points.
Trek already makes tons of money from Armstrong wannabe versions of its
carbon bikes.

A seven time TDF winner can't bring some marketing juice to the table?
None of Trek's bike carry the Armstrong name on them. Trek has done a
decent job of associating their brand with Armstrong but I gotta think
that slapping his name on the frame (yellow frames, of course) would
move a few bikes.

D2 wrote:
> A seven time TDF winner can't bring some marketing juice to the table?
> None of Trek's bike carry the Armstrong name on them. Trek has done a
> decent job of associating their brand with Armstrong but I gotta think
> that slapping his name on the frame (yellow frames, of course) would
> move a few bikes.

Boy, your idea is a dollar short, and perhaps 5 years too late. Trek
had a 'Lance Armstrong' version of the 5500, in yellow, back around
2000/2001 or so.

- rick

I guess I must have missed that one. I don't reall ever seeing an Armstrong
badged bike.
news:[email protected]...