Trek Madone 5.5 - opinions

Big Jon

Guest
Hi,

I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).

I am interested in peoples opinion on this compared to other bikes @
the £2Kish mark.

I am looking for a road bike with Dura Ace groupset and carbon frame -
not competition use, just leisure and some commuting - but carrying 15
stone I need whatever advantages a good bike can give me!!

> I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).
>
> I am interested in peoples opinion on this compared to other bikes @
> the £2Kish mark.
>
> I am looking for a road bike with Dura Ace groupset and carbon frame -
> not competition use, just leisure and some commuting - but carrying 15
> stone I need whatever advantages a good bike can give me!!

Given that it's not for racing I'd be looking at the Trek Pilot range[1] or
similar. Just as gorgeous, but a teensy bit more comfy and with less
twitchy steering.

[1] <http://www.trekbike.co.uk/2006/index.php?sec=subcat&MainCatID=1
&SubCatID=39>

in message <[email protected]>, Big Jon
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).

That is /blasphemy/.

You'd sell one of the great Mr Dolan[1]'s peerless creations to buy a
mass-produced American machine?

Well, if you really want to slum it...

[1] No, /not/ the one in Minnesota. Don't be silly.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

Mark Thompson wrote:

> Given that it's not for racing I'd be looking at the Trek Pilot range[1] or
> similar. Just as gorgeous, but a teensy bit more comfy and with less
> twitchy steering.

Maybe. Personally I've never seen the great advantage of this slower steering.

The most relaxing, best handling and easiest to ride no-handed bikes I have all
have race geometry. Touring geometry is fine till you try and corner :)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Big Jon wrote:

> I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> Trek 5.5 Madone for ?2150 (retail ?2600).

What is your current bike like? What improvement are you hoping to see?

--
Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Big Jon wrote:
> >
> > I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> > the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> > Trek 5.5 Madone for ?2150 (retail ?2600).

> What is your current bike like? What improvement are you hoping to see?
>
> --
> Arthur Clune

Current bike is great, but I have the ability to buy the new bike
through the company on the Government's green scheme and save over 50%
of the price in Tax/NI and VAT, so I can step off the Dolan onto the
Trek for very little cost. I like the ride of the carbon frame (hence
why I am looking for another one) and I am currently running Ultegra,
so going to Dura Ace seems like a sensible upgrade as other Dura Ace
bikes I have ridden seem to have a slightly sweeter and more accurate
shift. The Trek bikes seems to offer a good all round package for the
money and it is a simple transation as the spec is pretty much all
there as standard. But, spending this sort of money I thought it worth
getting a couple of opinions first.

Big Jon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).
>
> I am interested in peoples opinion on this compared to other bikes @
> the £2Kish mark.
>
> I am looking for a road bike with Dura Ace groupset and carbon frame -
> not competition use, just leisure and some commuting - but carrying 15
> stone I need whatever advantages a good bike can give me!!

The Madone is marketed as a flat-out racing machine.
One thing you don't mention wanting to do on it is to go racing.

I'd look towards the Trek Pilot models (I think someone else mentioned
them), the Cannondale Synapse models, Giant SCR Composite range, and I
think Specialized ave somthing similar. This are a little less full-on
race bikes, though still more than adaquate for club racing, time
trials etc. They're designed (or at least, marketed) as being a better
bike for comfort, particularly over long distances.

If you are commuting regularly on it, you'd need to be thinking about
some luggage capacity - the Madone and all of the other bikes mentioned
above will struggle to take much more than a saddle bag and/or bar bag.
Fitting any mudguards other than Race Blades will also be a problem.
Luggage/mudguards may not bother you at all, or at least not any more
than they do with the Dolan - just some things to think about.

Stg£2k gets you into "whatever the hell you want" territory - I'd be
looking at getting a custom build as well, though the conventional
wisdom is that buying a complete bike is better value than a custom
build, if you can get what you want.

Finally, although Dura Ace is nice to have, it's not functionally much
better than Ultegra (or arguably than the newer 10s 105) - though it is
genrally thought to be a little more hardwearing (particularly the STI
units), and some items are lighter. Pretty high bling points though...

YMMV,

bookieb

bookieb wrote:
> Big Jon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
> > the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
> > Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).
> >
> > I am interested in peoples opinion on this compared to other bikes @
> > the £2Kish mark.
> >
> > I am looking for a road bike with Dura Ace groupset and carbon frame -
> > not competition use, just leisure and some commuting - but carrying 15
> > stone I need whatever advantages a good bike can give me!!

> The Madone is marketed as a flat-out racing machine.
> One thing you don't mention wanting to do on it is to go racing.
>
> I'd look towards the Trek Pilot models (I think someone else mentioned
> them), the Cannondale Synapse models, Giant SCR Composite range, and I
> think Specialized ave somthing similar. This are a little less full-on
> race bikes, though still more than adaquate for club racing, time
> trials etc. They're designed (or at least, marketed) as being a better
> bike for comfort, particularly over long distances.
>
> If you are commuting regularly on it, you'd need to be thinking about
> some luggage capacity - the Madone and all of the other bikes mentioned
> above will struggle to take much more than a saddle bag and/or bar bag.
> Fitting any mudguards other than Race Blades will also be a problem.
> Luggage/mudguards may not bother you at all, or at least not any more
> than they do with the Dolan - just some things to think about.
>
> Stg£2k gets you into "whatever the hell you want" territory - I'd be
> looking at getting a custom build as well, though the conventional
> wisdom is that buying a complete bike is better value than a custom
> build, if you can get what you want.
>
> Finally, although Dura Ace is nice to have, it's not functionally much
> better than Ultegra (or arguably than the newer 10s 105) - though it is
> genrally thought to be a little more hardwearing (particularly the STI
> units), and some items are lighter. Pretty high bling points though...
>
> YMMV,
>
> bookieb

Thanks, some very good points.

Luggage, mudguards etc. are not important. My commute is a couple of
times a week to work (only 40 mile round trip) and I leave my change
of clothes etc. at the office.

I haven't looked at the Pilot bikes, I will go and check them out.
Comfort is an interesting one, I guess I have got used to out and out
race bikes from the Dolan, but there again I rarely do over 50 miles in
one go (don't know if that is considered a long stint or not).

You are probably right about the Ultegra/DuraAce point, I said exactly
the same when speccing the Dolan - but when you can get a bike half
price and the bike already has £450 off it's list price it all seems
very tempting to 'bling it up' especially if I plan to keep it for 3
years plus.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Mark Thompson wrote:
>
>> Given that it's not for racing I'd be looking at the Trek Pilot
>> range[1] or
>> similar. Just as gorgeous, but a teensy bit more comfy and with less
>> twitchy steering.

> Maybe. Personally I've never seen the great advantage of this slower
> steering.
>
> The most relaxing, best handling and easiest to ride no-handed bikes I
> have all have race geometry. Touring geometry is fine till you try and
> corner :)

Absolutely. I like my road bikes responsive. Responsive is good.

; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
; www-html. -- George Lund

Jon ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Arthur Clune wrote:
>> Big Jon wrote:
>> >
>> > I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I
>> > have the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and
>> > buying a Trek 5.5 Madone for ?2150 (retail ?2600).

>> What is your current bike like? What improvement are you hoping to
>> see?

> Current bike is great, but I have the ability to buy the new bike
> through the company on the Government's green scheme and save over 50%
> of the price in Tax/NI and VAT, so I can step off the Dolan onto the
> Trek for very little cost.

Look, isn't this a bit like saying you can sell your custom Lotus and buy
a Ford Ghia, and you won't lose much on the trade-in? I should bloody
think not! Sell a classic and buy a... It's bloody sacrilege!

> I like the ride of the carbon frame (hence
> why I am looking for another one) and I am currently running Ultegra,
> so going to Dura Ace seems like a sensible upgrade as other Dura Ace
> bikes I have ridden seem to have a slightly sweeter and more accurate
> shift.

So go out and buy a Dura Ace (or better still a Record) gruppo and fit it
to your Dolan.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

Big Jon wrote:

> You are probably right about the Ultegra/DuraAce point, I said exactly
> the same when speccing the Dolan - but when you can get a bike half
> price and the bike already has ?450 off it's list price it all seems
> very tempting to 'bling it up' especially if I plan to keep it for 3
> years plus.

Dura Ace is nicer than Ultegra, especially after the first year IMO.

Which Dolan model do you have? Until we know that, it's not at all
obvious that you'd actually be trading up at all.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

>> The most relaxing, best handling and easiest to ride no-handed bikes I
>> have all have race geometry. Touring geometry is fine till you try and
>> corner :)

> Absolutely. I like my road bikes responsive. Responsive is good.

B'ah, there's responsive and then there's twitchy. My aged Trek 5000 is a
little to the twitchy side, but I'll be happy to have a go on you Dolan to
see what reponsive is like.

'r' 's' <--- found these chaps looking lost. Think they belong here
somewhere.

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Big Jon wrote:
>
> > You are probably right about the Ultegra/DuraAce point, I said exactly
> > the same when speccing the Dolan - but when you can get a bike half
> > price and the bike already has ?450 off it's list price it all seems
> > very tempting to 'bling it up' especially if I plan to keep it for 3
> > years plus.

> Dura Ace is nicer than Ultegra, especially after the first year IMO.
>
> Which Dolan model do you have? Until we know that, it's not at all
> obvious that you'd actually be trading up at all.
>
> Arthur
>
> --
> Arthur Clune

>From some of the comments it looks like people consider the Trek

frameset as inferior to the Dolan. At the moment I have got the Dolan
Carbon Monocoque (don't think he does this particular model anymore)
which is a standard 'non sloping' geomitry.

Maybe I should have another chat with Terry or Steve Dolan and see what
they could put together for around £2K sporting Dura Ace and a decent
wheelset as a comparison.

Big Jon wrote:

> Maybe I should have another chat with Terry or Steve Dolan and see what
> they could put together for around ?2K sporting Dura Ace and a decent
> wheelset as a comparison.

That sounds an excellent idea. Personally I'm not saying the Trek frames
are less nice than the Dolan since the Trek is an excellent bike. What
I am saying is that the Dolan is also an excellent bike and I'm not
convinced you'd see any difference (well you would, but it would
be the new components that you'd notice IMO)

Given you've got a nice frame, the other option is to see if you can
spend the money on Dura-Ace and posh wheels for the current frame
(that may not be possible under the scheme you are looking at).

--
Arthur Clune

in message <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson
('pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com') wrote:

>>> The most relaxing, best handling and easiest to ride no-handed bikes
>>> I have all have race geometry. Touring geometry is fine till you try
>>> and corner :)

>> Absolutely. I like my road bikes responsive. Responsive is good.

> B'ah, there's responsive and then there's twitchy. My aged Trek 5000
> is a little to the twitchy side, but I'll be happy to have a go on you
> Dolan to see what reponsive is like.

If you're passing, drop me a line.

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

>I know it is a good bike, any bike should be at this price - but I have
>the option of selling my current carbon Dolan road bike and buying a
>Trek 5.5 Madone for £2150 (retail £2600).

I don't really have much to compare it to, given that the only other carbon
frame I've ridden is another new Trek (5200), so I'll just say I'm very
pleased with mine which I've had a coupe of months now and use this as an
opportunity post a photo I took of it at the weekend - got new Race *** Lite
carbon clinchers fitted last week and then almost lost it in a field!

http://www.saworks.dsl.pipex.com/my_madone55cd.jpg

For background, I don't do any racing (not yet anyway) and I commute on a
Trek 1400 - so this is just my weekend nice weather bike i.e. rides up to 70
miles at average 17-20mph in the Cotswolds. I've also always favoured the US
road bikes that usually don't go down well with the purists - GT and
Cannondale etc.

More of a heart over head purchase though - the sensible decision would be
to buy the 5.2SL which has the better frame (same as the 5.9) but I prefer
the aero features and find the current team colours or the "stealth look" a
bit dull.

SAW wrote:

> I don't really have much to compare it to, given that the only other carbon
> frame I've ridden is another new Trek (5200), so I'll just say I'm very
> pleased with mine which I've had a coupe of months now and use this as an
> opportunity post a photo I took of it at the weekend - got new Race *** Lite
> carbon clinchers fitted last week and then almost lost it in a field!
>
> http://www.saworks.dsl.pipex.com/my_madone55cd.jpg

What a lot of poppies in your kitchen! How can you find the sink?

Lovely bike btw.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time