Trek Y 26 or Schwinn 240-DSA Bike

RK

Guest
Hi,
I am looking for the first mountain bike in the price range of max $400.(I
know I have a small range of bikes available). But unfortunately I am
interested in full suspension bikes. So any thoughts on following bikes in
my list...

Raleigh Adrenaline

Schwinn 240-DSA

Trek Y 26

any other suggestions also welcome.

RK

RK wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for the first mountain bike in the price range of max
> $400.(I know I have a small range of bikes available). But
> unfortunately I am interested in full suspension bikes. So any
> thoughts on following bikes in my list...
>
> Raleigh Adrenaline
>
> Schwinn 240-DSA
>
> Trek Y 26
>
> any other suggestions also welcome.
>
> RK

I suggest you increase your budget or get a hardtail (or both!).

Matt

Thanks Matt
Can you suggest a good hardtail bike in the price range I mentioned?
news:[email protected]...

RK wrote:
> Thanks Matt
> Can you suggest a good hardtail bike in the price range I mentioned?

Umm, not specifically. I haven't shopped for such a bike in many years. I
usually spend a bit more. I think you should go to a bike shop and see if
you can test ride their offerings in that range.
I've had good fortune with Specialized bikes. I imagine they have something
in that range (a Hardrock?). After riding a few different ones in your price
range, go for the one that feels the best. Good luck!

Matt

"RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I am looking for the first mountain bike in the price range of max $400.(I
> know I have a small range of bikes available). But unfortunately I am
> interested in full suspension bikes. So any thoughts on following bikes in
> my list...
>
> Raleigh Adrenaline
>
> Schwinn 240-DSA
>
> Trek Y 26
>
> any other suggestions also welcome.
>
> RK

At that price point I'd stay away from any FS / DS bike. Best to get a
hardtail from Giant, Norco, Specialized or any good brand. Do yourself a
favor and check out the local bike shops in and around your area. You can
get lucky and pick up a a good used bike. There are good used bikes out
there, just gotta look for em. Check with your lbs. Good luck RK.

Hey RK,

I'll echo every one else-- in your price range get a hard tail. As for a
recommendation, my daughter has a Trek 4300 which cost me about 400. It is a
nice bike for the money. I have used it several times when I have not wanted
to use my FS. It is stiff, does not weigh much and I like the riding
position-- which is what matters the most.

Steve

"RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I am looking for the first mountain bike in the price range of max $400.(I
> know I have a small range of bikes available). But unfortunately I am
> interested in full suspension bikes. So any thoughts on following bikes in
> my list...
>
> Raleigh Adrenaline
>
> Schwinn 240-DSA
>
> Trek Y 26
>
> any other suggestions also welcome.
>
> RK

MattB says:

>I've had good fortune with Specialized bikes. I imagine they have something
>in that range (a Hardrock?).

Two of those in the household - a rigid one for Dad and a Front sus for the
kid. Nothing but fun. Lower-end components, to be sure, but nothing major has
bust yet in 3 or 4 years of riding.
Still looking forward to upgrading parts, if I could just bust something.

Steve

"RK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks Matt
> Can you suggest a good hardtail bike in the price range I mentioned?

I've seen Raleigh M80s priced just a little more than $400. Its a good
spec'd bike that might be worth checking out.