rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Trial Tire Pressure

Started by littleman · · Last activity · 76 posts · 1,008 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
8 August 2007
Last activity
15 October 2007
Original author
littleman
Posts
76
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,008
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–76 of 76
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Borgschulze said:

    I feel sorry for your ankles, and jewels.

    Bmx tires at high psi make for really smooth, fluid landings.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. You just need to learn to roll out.

    --
    Joe2005

    nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

    i know. he was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the
    biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed
    the plane on the earth surface. he was the one who killed the
    dinosaurs. -ivan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Joe2005 said:

    You just need to learn to roll out.

    Me? I can roll out fine.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Evan Byrne said:

    Me? I can roll out fine.

    Me too...?

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. It was just a statement it wasen't pointed at anyone.

    --
    Joe2005

    nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

    i know. he was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the
    biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed
    the plane on the earth surface. he was the one who killed the
    dinosaurs. -ivan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. i weigh 70kg (150lbs) and run my CC on a bit less than 24 (i let air out
    after it was too hard)
    mind, I'm no trials expert, just getting into trials (and a bit of
    street, they're pretty similar)

    --
    mcnuggets300

    New Qu-Ax Trials = Euphoric

    ~<''>~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~<''>~
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mcnuggets300's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14980
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Well, im a light one - im about 55-56kg and run mine about 20-22psi

    --
    mill_mobile
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mill_mobile's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I finally got a tire pressure guage and measured some tire pressures.
    This is what I got:

    KH20 with CC: 15 psi
    KH24 with Duro 15 psi
    KH29 with Klaw 30 psi

    I filled up the KH29 so it was rock solid.

    I filled up the KH24 and KH20 until they were to hard and released air
    untill they felt comfortable for jumping and drops.

    At 20 PSI I don't feel that I am getting much tire compression and the
    landings after drops are hard on my joints. At 15 psi I can compress
    the tire nicely before hops and I can do drops fine without ever
    getting pinch flats.
    My highest hops are park bench height probably about 40-45cm. My
    hieghest drops are probably around 70-89cm. I also do side gaps of well
    over a meter and never have the tire fold on me. Just for reference I
    weigh about 62kg.
    I can't state how important the rollout is. Every once in a wile when I
    don't do a good roll out I can totally feel it in my joints.

    I was surprised that both the KH24 and KH20 felt best at exaclty the
    same PSI. I think that the KH29 would also ride good on higher psis. It
    is very hard to turn on asphalt with lower psis with the KH29.

    Unicorn

    --
    Unicorn

    Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
    accomplish great feats!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Unicorn said:

    I finally got a tire pressure guage and measured some tire pressures.
    This is what I got:

    KH20 with CC: 15 psi
    KH24 with Duro 15 psi
    KH29 with Klaw 30 psi

    I filled up the KH29 so it was rock solid.

    I filled up the KH24 and KH20 until they were to hard and released air
    untill they felt comfortable for jumping and drops.

    At 20 PSI I don't feel that I am getting much tire compression and the
    landings after drops are hard on my joints. At 15 psi I can compress
    the tire nicely before hops and I can do drops fine without ever
    getting pinch flats.
    My highest hops are park bench height probably about 40-45cm. My
    hieghest drops are probably around 70-80cm. I also do side gaps of well
    over a meter and never had the tire fold on me. Just for reference I
    weigh about 62kg.
    I can't state how important the rollout is. Every once in a wile when I
    don't do a good roll out I can totally feel it in my joints.

    I was surprised that both the KH24 and KH20 felt best at exaclty the
    same PSI. I think that the KH29 would also ride good on higher psis. It
    is very hard to turn on asphalt with lower psis with the KH29.

    Unicorn

    Holy mother of mine! 15PSI! At my weight i even bottom out at 15PSI!
    Could the tyre realy make that much difference?
    (I'm not doubting you one single bit, just took me by surprise!)
    If i go much less than 20PSI my tyre tends to fold a tad too much for
    my liking and it also bottoms out easy at such low pressures.

    --
    mill_mobile
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mill_mobile's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. Mill_Mobile

    I measured a few times because I myself was surprised at 15 psi! First
    of all, how much do you weigh? Second the type of tire matters quite a
    bit. I think that the thickness of the wall maters but volume is a big
    player. Which brings me to the third point. Volume is determined both
    by the thickness of the tire and by the thickness of the rim. On the
    fat 2.5 and 3 inch tires with a 47mm Kris Holm rim you have a LOT of
    volume! Notice that withthe Kenda Klaw tire I ride at 30 psi.
    My tire does compress a lot when doing drops but I don't hit hard
    enough to get pinch flats.

    Unicorn

    --
    Unicorn

    Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
    accomplish great feats!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Unicorn said:

    Mill_Mobile

    I measured a few times because I myself was surprised at 15 psi! First
    of all, how much do you weigh? Second the type of tire matters quite a
    bit. I think that the thickness of the wall maters but volume is a big
    player. Which brings me to the third point. Volume is determined both
    by the thickness of the tire and by the thickness of the rim. On the
    fat 2.5 and 3 inch tires with a 47mm Kris Holm rim you have a LOT of
    volume! Notice that withthe Kenda Klaw tire I ride at 30 psi.
    My tire does compress a lot when doing drops but I don't hit hard
    enough to get pinch flats.

    Unicorn

    Im only 55-56kg, thats why i was so surprised you didnt bottom it out!
    I guess that means the walls on a CC are thicker than a Luna.

    --
    mill_mobile
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mill_mobile's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. mill_mobile said:

    Im only 55-56kg, thats why i was so surprised you didnt bottom it out!
    I guess that means the walls on a CC are thicker than a Luna.

    Wrong.

    Other way around.

    Creepy Crawler = Saran Wrap

    Luna = Solid Concrete

    Direct comparison of having both tires off the rim side by side.

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Borgschulze said:

    Wrong.

    Other way around.

    Creepy Crawler = Saran Wrap

    Luna = Solid Concrete

    Direct comparison of having both tires off the rim side by side.

    Well Borgschulze, you have convinced me to keep my Luna 🙂
    Thanks - i was never unhappy with it, was just keen to try something
    different!

    --
    mill_mobile
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mill_mobile's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. Unicorn said:

    I finally got a tire pressure guage and measured some tire pressures.
    This is what I got:

    KH20 with CC: 15 psi
    KH24 with Duro 15 psi
    KH29 with Klaw 30 psi

    I filled up the KH29 so it was rock solid.

    I filled up the KH24 and KH20 until they were to hard and released air
    untill they felt comfortable for jumping and drops.

    At 20 PSI I don't feel that I am getting much tire compression and the
    landings after drops are hard on my joints. At 15 psi I can compress
    the tire nicely before hops and I can do drops fine without ever
    getting pinch flats.
    My highest hops are park bench height probably about 40-45cm. My
    hieghest drops are probably around 70-80cm. I also do side gaps of well
    over a meter and never had the tire fold on me. Just for reference I
    weigh about 62kg.
    I can't state how important the rollout is. Every once in a wile when I
    don't do a good roll out I can totally feel it in my joints.

    I was surprised that both the KH24 and KH20 felt best at exaclty the
    same PSI. I think that the KH29 would also ride good on higher psis. It
    is very hard to turn on asphalt with lower psis with the KH29.

    Unicorn

    lol
    the guage you used is WAY off

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'YOUneedtoTUBE MYTUBE' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. squashy enough to bounce and hop, hard enough not to fold. there is no
    magic number - other than 42🙂 - but that is not really related to tire
    pressure in any other way than both fourty-two and unicycling being the
    meaning of life.

    --
    uni_jim

    'evolve trials'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2uho7c)

    mcnuggets300 said:

    whats the point of living if you cant enjoy life?
    man cops need to chill out a bit
    "are those firecrackers son?"
    "no, they're loud cigarettes, wanna try?"


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    uni_jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13559
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. uni_jim said:

    squashy enough to bounce and hop, hard enough not to fold. there is no
    magic number - other than 42🙂 - but that is not really related to tire
    pressure in any other way than both fourty-two and unicycling being the
    meaning of life.

    I dunno I like my tire pressure at 42 psi for trials....

    --
    Ducttape

    '-*BUY MY SHIRTS*-'
    (http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle/products)
    '*WATCH MY VIDEOS*'
    (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DucttapesUnicycle)

    '*Uniman Comics*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53444)
    '*Original Thread for Uniman*'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49862)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/63289

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.