Truing Shimano wheel with aero spokes

nbfman

Sep 12, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knew of any special tools for truing Shimano wheels with aero spokes (i.e. the model WH-7800, WH-550, etc). In particular, I was looking for suggestions on how to keep the aero spokes in proper alignment while turning the nipple. I have heard that places like Eaton offer a complete set of tools (spoke wrench and a tool to keep the spoke from rotating), though Shimano apparently only includes the spoke wrench.

It seems simple though to make some sort of tool to hold the spoke in place, but I was not sure what was normally done, as I am a first-timer to this kind of thing.

Thanks for any help,

nbfman

nbfman said:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any special tools for truing Shimano wheels with aero spokes (i.e. the model WH-7800, WH-550, etc). In particular, I was looking for suggestions on how to keep the aero spokes in proper alignment while turning the nipple. I have heard that places like Eaton offer a complete set of tools (spoke wrench and a tool to keep the spoke from rotating), though Shimano apparently only includes the spoke wrench.

It seems simple though to make some sort of tool to hold the spoke in place, but I was not sure what was normally done, as I am a first-timer to this kind of thing.

Thanks for any help,

nbfman
The 7800s come with two spoke wrenches (the 550s might as well, but since I own the DA set, I can only speak from experience with that wheelset). Each wrench has a simple slot on one end, and a normal "spoke-nipple holder" (no idea what the right name would be!) at the other. So you slip the slot around the bladed spoke to keep it in alignment, put the other one on the spoke nipple, and true the wheel normally. If you only have one spoke wrench, it should be easy to take a piece of wood, cut a small slot, and use that to hold the bladed spoke in alignment as you true the wheel using your other hand.

palewin said:
The 7800s come with two spoke wrenches (the 550s might as well, but since I own the DA set, I can only speak from experience with that wheelset). Each wrench has a simple slot on one end, and a normal "spoke-nipple holder" (no idea what the right name would be!) at the other. So you slip the slot around the bladed spoke to keep it in alignment, put the other one on the spoke nipple, and true the wheel normally. If you only have one spoke wrench, it should be easy to take a piece of wood, cut a small slot, and use that to hold the bladed spoke in alignment as you true the wheel using your other hand.
Thank you very much.