General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Trumpet Mushrooms

Started by koko · · Last activity · 15 posts · 259 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 September 2007
Last activity
16 September 2007
Original author
koko
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
259
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 9/6

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  2. <koko> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    They look great!

  3. In article said:

    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 9/6

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

    Those look interesting. :-)
    Let us know how they tasted?
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. koko said:

    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    Our Costco has been carrying them; I like to have them with soft-scrambled
    eggs on toast or in Chicken Chasseur, but I haven't done either recently.

    At the Auburn (California) farmer's market, there is a mushroom vendor who
    carries what must be the all-growed-up cousin of those mushrooms. They're
    called "King Trumpet" mushrooms. They're about two inches thick, and lend
    themselves to being cut in half lengthwise, brushed with olive oil or
    butter, and grilled.

    Bob

  5. On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:15:33 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    koko said:

    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    Our Costco has been carrying them; I like to have them with soft-scrambled
    eggs on toast or in Chicken Chasseur, but I haven't done either recently.

    At the Auburn (California) farmer's market, there is a mushroom vendor who
    carries what must be the all-growed-up cousin of those mushrooms. They're
    called "King Trumpet" mushrooms. They're about two inches thick, and lend
    themselves to being cut in half lengthwise, brushed with olive oil or
    butter, and grilled.


    I think Om posted about the king trumpet a year or so ago. They look
    interesting. These look like juvenile trumpets (think portobello/baby
    bell). Do they have a distinctive flavor or would we be paying more
    just because they look different?
    --

    History is a vast early warning system
    Norman Cousins

  6. sf said:

    I think Om posted about the king trumpet a year or so ago. They look
    interesting. These look like juvenile trumpets (think portobello/baby
    bell). Do they have a distinctive flavor or would we be paying more
    just because they look different?

    Well, the shape is convenient; you can do things with them that you can't do
    with other mushrooms. Their flavor is not as distinctive as porcini, morels,
    or chanterelles; it's a bit delicate and not as woody as some other
    mushrooms.

    Bob

  7. In article said:

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:15:33 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    koko said:

    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    Our Costco has been carrying them; I like to have them with soft-scrambled
    eggs on toast or in Chicken Chasseur, but I haven't done either recently.

    At the Auburn (California) farmer's market, there is a mushroom vendor who
    carries what must be the all-growed-up cousin of those mushrooms. They're
    called "King Trumpet" mushrooms. They're about two inches thick, and lend
    themselves to being cut in half lengthwise, brushed with olive oil or
    butter, and grilled.


    I think Om posted about the king trumpet a year or so ago. They look
    interesting. These look like juvenile trumpets (think portobello/baby
    bell). Do they have a distinctive flavor or would we be paying more
    just because they look different?

    They were King Oysters. :-)
    They look like a similar mushroom to what she posted, but hers look to
    be a bit more tender. Slightly different cap and gill shape, as well as
    color.

    http://i12.tinypic.com/66uz0j9.jpg

    I'm not convinced (yet) that these are the same thing that Koko posted.

    Toooooo many mushrooms look so very similar. It's what makes wild
    mushroom hunting so terribly dangerous unless you know exactly what you
    are doing.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    sf said:

    I think Om posted about the king trumpet a year or so ago. They look
    interesting. These look like juvenile trumpets (think portobello/baby
    bell). Do they have a distinctive flavor or would we be paying more
    just because they look different?

    Well, the shape is convenient; you can do things with them that you can't do
    with other mushrooms. Their flavor is not as distinctive as porcini, morels,
    or chanterelles; it's a bit delicate and not as woody as some other
    mushrooms.

    Bob

    They (King Oysters) were fun. I added them to stir fry but next time I
    run across them, I want to try slicing them lenth-wise and grilling them.

    I will keep an eye out tho' for the ones Koko posted. They look
    delicious.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  9. koko dropped this news:[email hidden]: in
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    Yummm... I don't see them here very often but then I don't actively seek
    them out. They just kind of find me 😉 In the past I've used them in
    cheese sauces which really adds to the dish. I have also used them in fish
    recipes. I've never tried them on grilled steak. I'll just have to try
    that next time I find some.

    Michael

    --
    Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
    food, and tyrannize their teachers.
    - Socrates

    to email: dog3 at charter dot net

  10. On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:15:33 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    koko said:

    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    Our Costco has been carrying them; I like to have them with soft-scrambled
    eggs on toast or in Chicken Chasseur, but I haven't done either recently.

    mmm that sounds good. Now I know what I want for brunch this morning.

    Quoted message said:


    At the Auburn (California) farmer's market, there is a mushroom vendor who
    carries what must be the all-growed-up cousin of those mushrooms. They're
    called "King Trumpet" mushrooms. They're about two inches thick, and lend
    themselves to being cut in half lengthwise, brushed with olive oil or
    butter, and grilled.

    Bob

    Those sound good. I hope I find some.

    koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 9/6

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  11. On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 03:53:32 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Terwilliger' virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:
    sf said:

    I think Om posted about the king trumpet a year or so ago. They look
    interesting. These look like juvenile trumpets (think portobello/baby
    bell). Do they have a distinctive flavor or would we be paying more
    just because they look different?

    Well, the shape is convenient; you can do things with them that you can't do
    with other mushrooms. Their flavor is not as distinctive as porcini, morels,
    or chanterelles; it's a bit delicate and not as woody as some other
    mushrooms.

    Bob

    They (King Oysters) were fun. I added them to stir fry but next time I
    run across them, I want to try slicing them lenth-wise and grilling them.

    I like the oyster mushrooms also.

    Quoted message said:


    I will keep an eye out tho' for the ones Koko posted. They look
    delicious.

    I'm going to saute them a little and put them in a soft scramble like
    Bob suggested. That sounds delicious.

    koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 9/6

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  12. koko said:


    Mmmm look what I'm having on my grilled steak tomorrow.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/4u1r48h.jpg

    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fihuoh.jpg

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    koko
    ---

    and it says the stems are edible!

    your pal,
    blake

  13. "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:omp_omelet-

    Quoted message said:


    They were King Oysters. :-)
    They look like a similar mushroom to what she posted, but hers look to
    be a bit more tender. Slightly different cap and gill shape, as well as
    color.

    http://i12.tinypic.com/66uz0j9.jpg

    Those are pretty common in the organic sections of grocery stores here in
    NS. I find them very meaty and dense, but tastey.

  14. In article <l8eHi.52996$Pd4.48264@edtnps82>, "Peter" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:omp_omelet-

    Quoted message said:


    They were King Oysters. :-)
    They look like a similar mushroom to what she posted, but hers look to
    be a bit more tender. Slightly different cap and gill shape, as well as
    color.

    http://i12.tinypic.com/66uz0j9.jpg

    Those are pretty common in the organic sections of grocery stores here in
    NS. I find them very meaty and dense, but tastey.

    As are oyster mushrooms in general. :-)

    As soon as I can get the den closet cleaned out, I want to make space to
    try to grow some. The packs are not expensive:

    http://fungiperfecti.com/

    It's just too cold or too hot to try to grow them outdoors. I'm going to
    have to dedicate indoor space. I want to try some of the other, more
    expensive varieties as well.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  15. koko said:

    I don't remember seeing these before so when I saw them I had to get
    them.

    "Trumpet Royale" mushrooms are just a trademarked name of a cultivated
    variety of King Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii).

    Victor

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.