TSS and IF "live" on Power meter: any use to me?

fabiosav

Nov 19, 2003
I just bought an Ergomo (fuller review to come, but good so far) and it has TSS and IF available. I'm old-school (or rather just used to my old PT) and wonder how best to use these on the road. I use the Cyclingpeaks software, but tended to use TSS and IF in review of a ride. Would you use them if you had them live?

I'm not sure I would make much use of TSS real-time, but IF is useful because it measures a ride's cumulative aerobic stress relative to FT. As FT changes from week to week or month to month, an IF value of 0.90 means the same thing all the time. It's really just a convenience statistic since I can run the numbers in my head if I have NP. NP is of huge value, however, because there's no way I can compute NP in my head.

RapDaddyo said:
I'm not sure I would make much use of TSS real-time, but IF is useful because it measures a ride's cumulative aerobic stress relative to FT. As FT changes from week to week or month to month, an IF value of 0.90 means the same thing all the time. It's really just a convenience statistic since I can run the numbers in my head if I have NP. NP is of huge value, however, because there's no way I can compute NP in my head.
I have been using my Ergomo Pro since December. So far I haven't really found much use for TSS during rides. SOmetimes during training I have looked at it but have not really developed a real solid use for it. During ride IF I have found very usefull. It provides meaningfull clues about if I can continue an effort and if so for how long. Power numbers can do this also but it's sometimes easier to look and know if you are above or below 1.0 as to weather or not you will blow up in the break.

jerryz said:
I have been using my Ergomo Pro since December. So far I haven't really found much use for TSS during rides. SOmetimes during training I have looked at it but have not really developed a real solid use for it. During ride IF I have found very usefull. It provides meaningfull clues about if I can continue an effort and if so for how long. Power numbers can do this also but it's sometimes easier to look and know if you are above or below 1.0 as to weather or not you will blow up in the break.
Well, if you like having real-time NP and IF on your rides (I would as well), fasten your seat belt because I am aware of something on the horizon that will provide mega additional useful real-time info.

Since no one is really sticking up for "live TSS', I will. How about if you plan out your weekly training load by TSS, and therefore specify a certain TSS for each day/workout during that week. So now, when you go out on a ride, you can keep an eye on your "live TSS" and head home when you reach your planned TSS for that day...if you made your training plan wisely, then you should now be maximizing your training time.

RapDaddyo said:
Well, if you like having real-time NP and IF on your rides (I would as well), fasten your seat belt because I am aware of something on the horizon that will provide mega additional useful real-time info.
Can you give a timeframe for "on the horizon"?

humunuku said:
Since no one is really sticking up for "live TSS', I will. How about if you plan out your weekly training load by TSS, and therefore specify a certain TSS for each day/workout during that week. So now, when you go out on a ride, you can keep an eye on your "live TSS" and head home when you reach your planned TSS for that day...if you made your training plan wisely, then you should now be maximizing your training time.
I will stick up for seeing TSS/IF and NP 'live'. I live in a hilly area, so seeing live NP really helps me to know what my body is truly feeling over my loops. My coach uses TSS to help make my training plan and each training plan comes with a 'predicted' or 'goal' TSS for the workout. So, this gives me some idea of the correct amount of training stress he is giving me, and then I know that I did 'enough'.

So, to me it's been a big help.

Bob