Is it important to use the washer on the valve stem? I just got cxp33's and because the top of the rim is more aero than my previous rim, I notice that the washer doesn't fit as good as it did on my older rims. Any reason why I should leave this on? Thanks.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Tube - washer on valve stem
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 29 June 2009
- Last activity
- 23 October 2018
- Original author
- noonievut
- Posts
- 11
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 2,683
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
noonievut said:
Is it important to use the washer on the valve stem? I just got cxp33's and because the top of the rim is more aero than my previous rim, I notice that the washer doesn't fit as good as it did on my older rims. Any reason why I should leave this on? Thanks.
Nope. None. Leave it off.
-
noonievut said:
Is it important to use the washer on the valve stem? I just got cxp33's and because the top of the rim is more aero than my previous rim, I notice that the washer doesn't fit as good as it did on my older rims. Any reason why I should leave this on? Thanks.
First, baby powder the tube. Makes it last longer and easier to install. Tubes move around inside of a tire when riding. If you don't powder or do use the nut, it can either stick to the inside of the tire causing a flat or tear the valve if you use the nut.
Powder and don't use the nut.
-
noonievut said:
Is it important to use the washer on the valve stem? I just got cxp33's and because the top of the rim is more aero than my previous rim, I notice that the washer doesn't fit as good as it did on my older rims. Any reason why I should leave this on? Thanks.
I'm not familiar with a valve stem washer. What is it? -
Automatic device that saves you the trouble of washing your stem by hand.
-
Ha ha! I think they are referring to the round threaded stem nut...
My mechanic advised against the powder "trick" when I brought up that I use it on lightweight tubes - I think from memory the reason was that some powders can attack the tube material? May be arguing one old wives' tale against another here, so I won't pass judgement...
Cam
-
camdyson said:
Ha ha! I think they are referring to the round threaded stem nut...
My mechanic advised against the powder "trick" when I brought up that I use it on lightweight tubes - I think from memory the reason was that some powders can attack the tube material? May be arguing one old wives' tale against another here, so I won't pass judgement...
Cam
If it's safe for a baby's but, it isn't going to hurt a latex tube.
-
This is an old post that I stumbled on - I like having that round washer on the tube valve which I snug down on the rim - I like short valves and ,if that washer is missing, when I attempt to pump a new tube with my floor pump the valve will go down into the rim making it tough for the pump nozzle to get a good grip on the valve .
Having that washer there prevents this from happening and it's the only reason I keep it on .
-
camdyson said:
Ha ha! I think they are referring to the round threaded stem nut...
My mechanic advised against the powder "trick" when I brought up that I use it on lightweight tubes - I think from memory the reason was that some powders can attack the tube material? May be arguing one old wives' tale against another here, so I won't pass judgement...
Cam
From memory - the older style talcum powder often had asbestos in it. The new baby talc does not. So use it without any worries and it does allow the tube to squirm into shape inside the tire on initial inflation. -
camdyson said:
Ha ha! I think they are referring to the round threaded stem nut...
My mechanic advised against the powder "trick" when I brought up that I use it on lightweight tubes - I think from memory the reason was that some powders can attack the tube material? May be arguing one old wives' tale against another here, so I won't pass judgement...
Cam
Your mechanic is wrong, get another mechanic. I've used baby or talc powder for years on both latex and butyl tubes and never had an issue with rotting tubes, in fact if you don't use it the tube will stick to the tire and could tear it when you go to remove the tube. I think most people use talc on their tubes and have been doing so for many many years. -
Yup. Use powder. Less twisting and easier seating of the tube during installation and less friction between the tire and tube when riding.
Like Froze, I've used talcum powder for decades with no issues.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.