Tufo sealant question

Barryg

Guest
I inherited a few slightly used Tufo tubulars that have been treated with the Tufo sealant. I'd
appreciate comments from experienced Tufo users on whether it is common for the Tufo sealant to gum
up the tire valve so that:

1. It becomes very difficult to turn the valve nut

and/or

2. The valve won't seat properly and leaks air when closed, requiring valve replacement?

Thanks for any help, Barry

"BarryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I inherited a few slightly used Tufo tubulars that have been treated with the Tufo sealant. I'd
> appreciate comments from experienced Tufo users on whether it is common for the Tufo sealant to
> gum up the tire valve so
that:

> 1. It becomes very difficult to turn the valve nut
>
> and/or
>
> 2. The valve won't seat properly and leaks air when closed, requiring
valve
> replacement?
>

> Thanks for any help, Barry

If you don't do it right, yeah, those things happen...

Mike

BarryG wrote:

> I inherited a few slightly used Tufo tubulars that have been treated with the Tufo sealant. I'd
> appreciate comments from experienced Tufo users on whether it is common for the Tufo sealant to
> gum up the tire valve so that:
>
> 1. It becomes very difficult to turn the valve nut
>
> and/or
>
> 2. The valve won't seat properly and leaks air when closed, requiring valve replacement?

Yes, both. Fortunately the valve is replaceable, ubiquitous and cheap.

"BarryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I inherited a few slightly used Tufo tubulars that have been treated with the Tufo sealant. I'd
> appreciate comments from experienced Tufo users on whether it is common for the Tufo sealant to
> gum up the tire valve so that:
>
> 1. It becomes very difficult to turn the valve nut
>
> and/or
>
> 2. The valve won't seat properly and leaks air when closed, requiring valve replacement?
>

> Thanks for any help, Barry

Dear Barry,

I have no experience with Tufo, but it may resemble the green Slime anti-flat sealant. If so, the
stuff can gum up Presta valves on clincher tubes and cause seating problems.

Some defenses are using an air compressor to inflate tires (it tends to blast the valve clean) and
working on the valve with it at either 4 or 8 o'clock (the slimy stuff tends to drip down out of the
valve stem). Often, pressing down on a Presta valve will spray a bit of green slime and clear
things, but it's nice to have an air compressor handy to clear, re-inflate, clear, and re-inflate if
things are badly gummed up.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Thanks very much for all the helpful comments. I'll order up some valve cores and valve tool and not
work on it in the 6 o'clock position.

Thanks, Barry