UK and Europe · Public discussion

turning right: advice please

Started by Audrey · · Last activity · 51 posts · 1,801 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 June 2004
Last activity
16 June 2004
Original author
Audrey
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,801
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    audrey said:
    Quoted message said:

    Either would be more civilised than accidentally
    knocking the offender's ankle with your trolley wheel.
    Ouch! :-)


    I wouldn't dream of doing anything of that nature. I
    can't carry a trolley's worth of stuff home on the bike.

    :-) I can, actually. Albeit rather in rather a wobbly
    :fashion, with
    risk of busting my bike. ...One reason I'm going to build
    a super-strong rear wheel (hence recent questions about
    touring rims, etc).

    You want a trailer. Pete will no doubt push his latest
    acquisition, but even a nice trailer is around 1/4 of
    the price!

    cheers, clive

  2. audrey said:

    I suspect your legs have more gears in them than mine, tho

    entirely likely, but if you've usually got 21 or so on the
    bike that should redress the balance. There are quite a
    few Normal People cycle round Dundee on so-so bikes and
    manage okay.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
    ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382
    640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    audrey said:

    I shall prob be visiting later in the year for Family
    Things. But the thought of all those Hills puts me off
    bringing bike along.

    There's no shortage of them, but the somewhat linear
    nature of the town layout along the side of 2 hills means
    you can usually zig and zag up more sensible inclines
    rather than take on the Serious Stuff head on.
    e.g, Hilltown bad, Victoria Road good, West Park Road bad,
    Blackness Road good. My round-town hack bike has a 3
    speed hub on it and it's okay for the job.

    I can just about commute on my single speed sit up and beg
    without a problem. Yes Dundee has hills as Pete says but
    they aren't that bad or particularly long (or particularly
    steep, one or the other).

    Quoted message said:

    If you want a pleasant hackette head out West to Errol
    (possibly for dinner at the Smiddy), which is along the
    side of the firth and aside from a short climb to Errol at
    the end or into Invergowrie on the way back is pretty much
    pancake terrain.

    Errol is situated on the Carse of Gowrie which is a flat
    (within 20m or so RMS) floodplain. Very easy to get to
    without going up any hills from the city centre. However, If
    you do want a challenge, there are some extremely nice rides
    up through the hills. And you can visit nice places such as
    Glamis castle.. (supposed to have a good cafe).

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I shall be able to understand the locals (even though I
    can't actually speak the local patois).

    I've lived here since '89 and some parts of Lochee still
    leave me pretty confused as to what's being said... I
    think it's a bit like Chinese with the intonation thing,
    with the word "Ehhh" alone capable of expressing many
    different concepts when used just so... ;-)

    Dundee has two dialects. One is Dundonian, the other is
    Lochee. Until about 1900 Lochee was a separate town built
    around the Camperdown Mill and populated by Irish
    immigrants. The language is somewhat difficult to penetrate.
    I have problems understanding my kids at times (we live on
    the edge of Lochee). It's even harder understanding the
    locals when the pubs have just kicked out.

    ..d

  4. Clive George said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't dream of doing anything of that nature. I
    can't carry a trolley's worth of stuff home on the bike.

    :-) I can, actually. Albeit rather in rather a wobbly
    :fashion,
    with risk of busting my bike. ...One reason I'm going to
    build a super-strong rear wheel (hence recent questions
    about touring rims, etc).

    You want a trailer. Pete will no doubt push his latest
    acquisition, but even a nice trailer is around 1/4 of
    the price!

    A trailer would be indeed be useful for shopping, but I
    don't really want one for where I am now. Maybe I should
    think again, though!

    ~PB

  5. Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as audrey
    <[email hidden]> breathed:

    Quoted message said:

    What, if anything, can I do to stop cars overtaking me like
    this on right turns?

    Is this really such a problem? Presumably there is plenty of
    room as you both turn and unless you're at competition level
    the car will be accelerating much faster than you are, so
    why not let them go in front and then follow behind?

    Although I know I've every right to be on the road, I also
    know I'm a lot slower than motorised traffic and don't see
    why I should delay other people unnecessarily.

    --
    - Pyromancer.
    - inkubus-sukkubus.co.ukinkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    - littlematchgirl.co.uklittlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
    - revival.stormshadow.comrevival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic
    Revival.

  6. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:46:20 +0100 someone who may be audrey
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I can't carry a trolley's worth of stuff home on the bike.

    A suitable trailer would also discourage motorists from
    overtaking you.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. "audrey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced cyclists.


    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    What, if anything, can I do to stop cars overtaking me
    like this on right turns?

    Have a more pert bottom? ;-)

    Sorry!

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling John Mallard

  8. Pyromancer said:

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified
    as audrey <[email hidden]> breathed:

    Quoted message said:

    What, if anything, can I do to stop cars overtaking me
    like this on right turns?

    Is this really such a problem? Presumably there is
    plenty of room as you both turn and unless you're at
    competition level the car will be accelerating much
    faster than you are, so why not let them go in front and
    then follow behind?


    and behind the car behind? and behind the car behind that?

    Quoted message said:

    Although I know I've every right to be on the road, I also
    know I'm a lot slower than motorised traffic and don't see
    why I should delay other people unnecessarily.

    agreed. I am not intending to delay anyone unnecessarily.

    A

    --

    email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    audrey said:

    I'm at the head of a line of traffic [1] in the 'right
    turn only' lane, waiting at the traffic lights to turn
    right. I'm positioned in the centre of the lane. Lights go
    green, I move forward and wait for suitable gap in on-
    coming traffic. This is a busy road, so it can take a
    while. Gap appears, I turn right, car behind me sets off
    at the same time and overtakes me as we both turn right.
    Car zooms past me on the right.

    Is this really a problem? If it's such a busy junction that
    you have to wait, then it's hardly surprising if other road
    users want to use the gap in parallel with you.

    --
    Nick Kew

  10. Pyromancer said:

    Is this really such a problem? Presumably there is
    plenty of room as you both turn and unless you're at
    competition level the car will be accelerating much
    faster than you are, so why not let them go in front and
    then follow behind?

    You really don't need to be at competition level to
    outaccelerate most cars up to about 15-20mph, you just need
    to be in the right gear. I don't mean that you'd win if they
    were actively racing, but many drivers pull away from the
    lights in a fairly orderly and dignified fashion (read:
    slow) and if I can use that opportunity to get a little
    space between them and me so that they'll encounter me in a
    less mentally taxing ordinary road setting instead of at a
    junction, with potential hazards on all sides, I think
    that's a good thing. Especially if they've already shown
    they're the kind of driver who'll cut a corner to overtake
    just because cyclists are by definition slower than them and
    they can't cope with the idea of _not_ overtaking...

    Plus it's more fun that way, of course.

    Quoted message said:

    Although I know I've every right to be on the road, I also
    know I'm a lot slower than motorised traffic and don't see
    why I should delay other people unnecessarily.

    I wish the motorists around here thought the same way.
    Though admittedly there's not a lot they can do to stop
    delaying faster traffic that doesn't involve leaving the
    car at home.

    -dan

    --
    "please make sure that the person is your friend before
    you confirm"

  11. audrey said:

    I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced cyclists.
    Situation is this:

    I'm at the head of a line of traffic [1] in the 'right
    turn only' lane, waiting at the traffic lights to turn
    right. I'm positioned in the centre of the lane. Lights go
    green, I move forward and wait for suitable gap in on-
    coming traffic. This is a busy road, so it can take a
    while. Gap appears, I turn right, car behind me sets off
    at the same time and overtakes me as we both turn right.
    Car zooms past me on the right.

    1. My Cycling Proficiency trainer told me 25 years ago that
    you must give a repeat arm signal just before moving off,
    i.e. when traffic lights go red/amber or when your exit
    becomes clear (I'm assuming you don't want to sit there
    with your arm stuck out *all* the time you're stopped).
    The signal should deter cars from passing on the right -
    but see (3).

    2. Positioning on the road is the main thing. For a normal
    right turn I would be sitting virtually on the white
    line. However, on multi-lane roads where for some reason
    you can't use the left hand lane - this includes
    roundabouts - you should keep to the left of your lane
    and expect traffic to pass on both sides.

    3. Always do your "lifesaver" look before moving off - at
    least you saw the car. There are a lot of people on the
    roads who have never passed a driving test and/or are
    terminally stupid. Expect the unexpected etc.

  12. Pyromancer said:

    Is this really such a problem? Presumably there is
    plenty of room as you both turn and unless you're at
    competition level the car will be accelerating much
    faster than you are, so why not let them go in front and
    then follow behind?

    Room to overtake doesn't automatically equal plenty of
    room. There needs to be a margin for safety, otherwise the
    car could strike the bike (or vice versa) if either party
    makes a misjudgment or needs to suddenly swerve for any
    unexpected reason. Talk about statating the obvious! ...But
    it seems I need to.

    Quoted message said:

    Although I know I've every right to be on the road, I also
    know I'm a lot slower than motorised traffic and don't see
    why I should delay other people unnecessarily.

    There are times when it's necessary to delay people for
    safety reasons.

    ~PB

  13. Pete Biggs said:

    I agree it's Bad, and dodgy overtaking of all sorts is
    happening more and more as the acceleration performance of
    average cars increases to ridiculous levels. The drivers
    must be doing their brains in with all the G force!

    ISTR that modern cars are, on average, slower to accelerate
    than their 70s or 80s counterparts. Power is up (so maximum
    speed is too) but weight is up by much more.

  14. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:41:46 +0100, [email hidden] (Nick Kew)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    audrey said:

    I'm at the head of a line of traffic [1] in the 'right
    turn only' lane, waiting at the traffic lights to turn
    right. I'm positioned in the centre of the lane. Lights
    go green, I move forward and wait for suitable gap in on-
    coming traffic. This is a busy road, so it can take a
    while. Gap appears, I turn right, car behind me sets off
    at the same time and overtakes me as we both turn right.
    Car zooms past me on the right.

    Is this really a problem? If it's such a busy junction that
    you have to wait, then it's hardly surprising if other road
    users want to use the gap in parallel with you.

    but there isn't enough room for them to do so safely. The
    road we are turning into is narrow (with a kerb on both
    right and left), leaving very little margin for error.

    A

    --

    email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm

  15. Zog The Undeniable said:


    Quoted message said:

    I agree it's Bad, and dodgy overtaking of all sorts is
    happening more and more as the acceleration
    performance of average cars increases to ridiculous
    levels. The drivers must be doing their brains in with
    all the G force!

    ISTR that modern cars are, on average, slower to
    accelerate than their 70s or 80s counterparts. Power is up
    (so maximum speed is too) but weight is up by much more.

    Cost of high perfomance seems to have become more affordable
    then. I think more people must drive quick cars now than was
    the case in the 70s and 80s.

    ~PB

  16. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:39:46 +0100, David Hansen
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    A suitable trailer would also discourage motorists from
    overtaking you.

    One with side-firing missiles?

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  17. Zog The Undeniable said:


    ISTR that modern cars are, on average, slower to
    accelerate than their 70s or 80s counterparts. Power is up
    (so maximum speed is too) but weight is up by much more.

    That's because the occupants don't cycle ;-)

    John B

  18. you know? said:

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:39:46 +0100, David Hansen
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    A suitable trailer would also discourage motorists from
    overtaking you.

    One with side-firing missiles?

    .... contemplates outfitting sonandheir with catapult for
    soon-to-be-purchased trailer bike

    --

    email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm

  19. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:58:27 +0100, audrey <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    .... contemplates outfitting sonandheir with catapult for
    soon-to-be-purchased trailer bike

    Quality idea :-)

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  20. Zog The Undeniable said:


    1. My Cycling Proficiency trainer told me 25 years ago that
    you must give a repeat arm signal just before moving
    off, i.e. when traffic lights go red/amber or when your
    exit becomes clear (I'm assuming you don't want to sit
    there with your arm stuck out *all* the time you're
    stopped). The signal should deter cars from passing on
    the right - but see (3).

    I don't see how that would help - it is bleedin obvious I am
    going to turn right (once you are in the right turn lane you
    can't go straight on due to traffic island), also the few
    seconds delay while I signal before setting off will only
    encourage overtaking.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Positioning on the road is the main thing. For a normal
    right turn I would be sitting virtually on the white
    line. However, on multi-lane roads where for some reason
    you can't use the left hand lane - this includes
    roundabouts - you should keep to the left of your lane
    and expect traffic to pass on both sides.

    For the reasons David and others gave, I'm thinking
    being to the
    middle/right is better in this situation. I'm trying to stop
    the traffic passing me.

    Quoted message said:


    3. Always do your "lifesaver" look before moving off - at
    least you saw the car. There are a lot of people on the
    roads who have never passed a driving test and/or are
    terminally stupid. Expect the unexpected etc.

    I always do that while the lights are on red - have a good
    look at the car behind me, hopefully making eye contact so
    they realise I'm there, but if that fails I have a good
    chance of recognising them in the baked bean aisle.

    A

    --

    email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.