General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Two Angry Moms

Started by aem · · Last activity · 57 posts · 534 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 October 2007
Last activity
18 October 2007
Original author
aem
Posts
57
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
534
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–57 of 57
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Janet said:


    "Arri London" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    aem said:


    A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
    lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
    film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
    school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
    As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
    fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
    positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
    check out the website:
    http://www.angrymoms.org/

    I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
    but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
    might be interested. -aem

    That's good! When I was teaching I often ate the school cafeteria food.
    They have low budgets but seems as though they could do better.

    The morning news programmes locally list the APS school lunches for the
    day. They try to balance the nutrition but some of the meals are
    appalling! Still high-fat/high-salt and pizza appears nearly every week
    or 10 days. Have yet to see fish on the menu; yet fish fingers/fish
    sticks appeared regularly on London school menus so it can be done large
    scale.

    Fish fingers/sticks are actually very UNhealthy, due to the large amount of
    oily breading and small amount of fish. There is nothing inherently more
    unhealthy about pizza than there is about a sandwich.

    The fish fingers in the UK don't have thick coatings and they have more
    fish than US equivalents. Perhaps you make better pizza than the schools
    do but the US school pizzas I've eaten were very high-fat/high salt and
    rarely contain any vegetables.

  2. "Arri London" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Janet said:


    "Arri London" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    aem wrote:
    >
    > A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality of school
    > lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week the producers of that
    > film are trying to coordinate a national 'eat lunch at your kid's
    > school' day to motivate folks to join efforts to improve school food.
    > As far as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular diets or
    > fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition and anti-junk
    > positions. Those interested in the film or the school lunch day might
    > check out the website:
    > http://www.angrymoms.org/
    >
    > I have no kids in school any more nor any connection with this film
    > but I've seen school food threads here in the past so thought some
    > might be interested. -aem

    That's good! When I was teaching I often ate the school cafeteria food.
    They have low budgets but seems as though they could do better.

    The morning news programmes locally list the APS school lunches for the
    day. They try to balance the nutrition but some of the meals are
    appalling! Still high-fat/high-salt and pizza appears nearly every week
    or 10 days. Have yet to see fish on the menu; yet fish fingers/fish
    sticks appeared regularly on London school menus so it can be done
    large
    scale.

    Fish fingers/sticks are actually very UNhealthy, due to the large amount
    of
    oily breading and small amount of fish. There is nothing inherently more
    unhealthy about pizza than there is about a sandwich.

    The fish fingers in the UK don't have thick coatings and they have more
    fish than US equivalents.

    I've had both, and I don't see a difference.

    I went to an English boarding school----you want to talk about horrible
    food! <G>

  3. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > They let the parents eat at the cafeteria? That surprises me.

    Our elementary schools encourage it. Parents can eat with their child
    one
    day a week, and they are always holding special "Grandparents Day" or
    "Dad's/Mom's Day" events. Parents and kids can either bring their
    lunches
    to share or buy the school cooked meals.

    Cool! I'm sure there was nothing like that when I was a kid,
    you didn't see parents in the cafeteria. Of course, that was
    ages ago.

    Quoted message said:

    But the cost for the visiting parent meal is a higher cost than the
    student meal.
    When I go to the schools, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids whose
    parents never seem to come 🙁

    It's tough, some parents aren't interested in it and others just
    can't take a day off whenever the school decides to have bring
    mom to school day.

    This thread brings back fond memories!

    I was born in 1961 and from kindergarten through the sixth grade, my
    lunches were eaten at home because it was only a five minute walk from
    school. My entire school career, including college was in Philadelphia.

    I never set foot in the school's cafeteria for lunch when I was in
    elementary school, except on special occasions such as holiday parties.
    Every day, I would sit at our kitchen table and eat lunch. For some
    reason, my sister always ate lunch at school even though we went to the
    same school, so it was just me and my mom. My dad was always at work
    during lunch. My mom would serve me lunch and sit and ask me how my day
    was going. It was the same thing every day. If I ate fast, I might have
    time to watch a little TV before walking back to school.

    One or two days a year, the school would host a family lunch where each
    kid had to order his food a few days in advance. Parents and teachers
    would join us for lunch. Lunch was always hot dogs, Philly soft
    pretzels, and those little cardboard half pint cartons of milk or
    chocolate milk.

    I had to bring home an order form for my parents to sign to indicate the
    number of hot dogs, cartons of milk, and soft pretzels I wanted. My
    parents had to enclose a check or cash to pay. The lunch was very cheap,
    even in those days. I always ordered three hot dogs, one pretzel, and
    two chocolate milks. Soda was never an option, nor was any kind of juice.

    My mom is a kind and sweet person, but she was never much for cooking.
    The lunches I ate at home were not healthy. One of my favorite lunches
    was a bowl of piping hot Campbell's tomato soup and a Kosher salami
    sandwich on rye with a bit of yellow mustard. Sometimes, my mom would
    give me left overs from the previous night's dinner, but mostly, mom
    served me one of those Swanson TV dinners that came in an aluminum tray,
    or she made me a small frozen pizza, or fish sticks with tomato soup.

    I went to a Woodrow Wilson Junior High for grades 7, 8, and 9, which was
    about a mile from home. I walked to and from school most days, but it
    was too far to eat lunch at home. When I got to high school, I went to
    Northeast High School and I had to walk a few blocks further from home
    to get there. So from the 7th to 12th grades, I ate lunch at school.

    The cafeteria in Wilson schools served mostly junk food. The closest
    thing to a healthy menu item was apples. Each day of the week was a
    different main course. For example, I think Monday was cheeseburger and
    french fries day, Thursday was shepherd's pie day, and I am pretty sure
    Friday was French bread pizza day. One day a week was chicken nuggets
    and fries day.

    When I got to Northeast High School, the cafeteria had a featured menu
    item too each day, but there were other choices. Some were healthy (such
    as a green salad), but the featured items were the same junk food as in
    Wilson Jr. High. There was a Burger King across the street, where many
    of my classmates would eat lunch, even though it was against the rules
    to leave school property for lunch. There was also a pizza place and a
    convenience store. I don't think I ever want to the pizza place or
    Burger King for lunch, but I did go to the store once in a while. A lot
    of kids would get their lunches from the pizza place or BK and just
    bring their food back to the cafeteria to eat.

    All through school, I had a great paying job on weekends working for my
    dad, so that was much lunch money most days. Once in a wile, I would
    bring a sandwich from home, but that was unusual.

    Northeast @ the Erie-Torresdale El stop? That I know, but where is Wilson?
    -ginny
    (former filthadelphian)

  4. "Bobo Bonobo®" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    (ms. tonya) said:
    Quoted message said:

    (aem) wrote:
    A new documentary has been produced about the junky quality
    of school lunches and efforts to improve them. Next week
    the producers of that film are trying to coordinate a
    national 'eat lunch at your kid's school' day to motivate
    folks to join efforts to improve school food. As far
    as I can tell, the "moms" involved have no particular
    diets or fads at issue here, just sensible basic nutrition
    and anti-junk positions.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    They should have raised this issue on school lunches decades ago.

    All through my school years - 1960-1973-
    we were served high fat/sodium tasteless [censored] mainly cheeseburgers/pizza
    burgers/canned buttered veg.'s/white bread that laid the foundation for
    poor nutrition in the years to come.

    I did lurk in to my old high school's web site & check out the lunch
    menu among other things and yes the lunches have gone even more down
    hill with typical lunch consisting of deep fried chicken nuggets with
    dipping sauce/fries/milk/animal crackers for dessert.

    Always felt the united states school lunches were and probably will
    continue to be a disgrace.

    Bush: The best president Mexico had.

    I just sent the following in an email to one of the officers of the
    PTO at my kindergartener's elementary school:
    ________________________________
    Do the pizzas on the school lunch menu contain hydrogenated oils? Do
    any of the items served contain hydrogenated oils? As a parent, I'd
    like to know. The only info I could find from a web search say that
    the Tony's Smart Pizzas are indeed made with that stuff.

    I'm a new parent at Captain, and want to be a positive, contributing
    person, and not annoying, but even the rather conservative federal
    govt has admitted that there are no safe levels of consumption of
    hydrogenated fats. I want to look into this, but don't know how. Any
    ideas?

    Is this a question that could be addressed by the PTO?
    __________________________________

    --Bryan

    Not the PTO, but the food supervisor in the school district's main office.
    They are the ones who sign off on the order sheets for all the schools in
    the district. If you have a complaint about them, your next step would be a
    school board meeting.
    -ginny
    (my mommy useta be a lunch lady)

    Quoted message said:
  5. Quoted message said:

    I've had both, and I don't see a difference.

    We did both growing up as well, several US schools and three different
    schools in Scotland. Only our last school had good food and we went off
    campus to a "cafeteria" that was contracted to the school, not a part of the
    school. Otherwise they were all pretty par for the coarse gross most of the
    time

    Cindi

    Quoted message said:


    I went to an English boarding school----you want to talk about horrible
    food! <G>

  6. Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 07:42:14p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant to
    say...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've had both, and I don't see a difference.

    We did both growing up as well, several US schools and three different
    schools in Scotland. Only our last school had good food and we went off
    campus to a "cafeteria" that was contracted to the school, not a part of
    the school. Otherwise they were all pretty par for the coarse gross most
    of the time

    Cindi

    Quoted message said:


    I went to an English boarding school----you want to talk about horrible
    food! <G>

    I graduated highschool in 1963. All the public schools I attended in my 12
    years (we had half-day kindergarten - no lunch) had very decent and
    sometimes very tasty food. Most baked their own rolls and desserts. No
    obvious frozen [censored] thawed and thrown on a steam table. The mashed
    potatoes were real, too. Guess it depends on when and where you went to
    school.

    I do remember one year at one school that was going through growing pains
    (construction) and the usual cafeteria was closed. Kids were encouraged to
    bring lunches from home, but decent box lunches could be bought in the
    makeshift cafeteria, as could beverages.

    We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time, unless
    we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved (in writing)
    by our parents.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.


  7. Quoted message said:

    We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time, unless
    we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved (in
    writing)
    by our parents.

    I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile after you
    graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I suppose. We were
    allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in Scotland but not at the
    third (it was 30 miles away). In North Carolina we only lived two doors down
    from the elementary school but we didn't go home for lunch. That seems to
    have become more and more forbidden as time goes by. My littles don't like
    to take their lunches now, it's too much trouble to keep up with or so they
    say.

    Cindi

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  8. Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 08:33:21p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant to
    say...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time,
    unless we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved
    (in writing) by our parents.

    I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile after
    you graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I suppose. We
    were allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in Scotland but not at
    the third (it was 30 miles away). In North Carolina we only lived two
    doors down from the elementary school but we didn't go home for lunch.
    That seems to have become more and more forbidden as time goes by. My
    littles don't like to take their lunches now, it's too much trouble to
    keep up with or so they say.

    Cindi

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to work and
    I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I don't like the
    lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I don't particularly care
    for cold lunches. If I've made chili, I don't mind at all taking a piping
    hot thermos full. We have nukers at work. The Amana cmomercial units, but
    I don't like them and they don't operate at all or as well as mine at home.

    I detest a steady stream of sandwiches at all times. I love a good
    sandwich, but only on occasion.

    Seems my feelings about taking lunches haven't changed much since
    elementary school.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  9. "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 08:33:21p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant to
    say...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time,
    unless we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved
    (in writing) by our parents.

    I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile after
    you graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I suppose. We
    were allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in Scotland but not at
    the third (it was 30 miles away). In North Carolina we only lived two
    doors down from the elementary school but we didn't go home for lunch.
    That seems to have become more and more forbidden as time goes by. My
    littles don't like to take their lunches now, it's too much trouble to
    keep up with or so they say.

    Cindi

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to work


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I don't like the
    lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I don't particularly care
    for cold lunches. If I've made chili, I don't mind at all taking a piping
    hot thermos full. We have nukers at work. The Amana cmomercial units,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I don't like them and they don't operate at all or as well as mine at


    home.

    Quoted message said:


    I detest a steady stream of sandwiches at all times. I love a good
    sandwich, but only on occasion.

    Seems my feelings about taking lunches haven't changed much since
    elementary school.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.


    I'm a loooong time out of school, but I volunteer at our local village
    library one day a week. Last year, I bought a very small microwave for a
    couple of dollars and now am not a slave to sandwiches any more. I pick up
    some Lean Quisine dinners when they are on sale, but I also make a lot of
    homemade soups and stews. I still take a sandwich on occasion, but it isn't
    my only choice. When I was in high school, there was a cafeteria, but we
    had no money to buy lunches. I brown bagged it and bought a 1/2 pint of
    milk for a nickle....that tells how long ago it was...lol...Sharon

  10. biig said:

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 08:33:21p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant to
    say...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time,
    > unless we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved
    > (in writing) by our parents.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile after
    you graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I suppose. We
    were allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in Scotland but not at
    the third (it was 30 miles away). In North Carolina we only lived two
    doors down from the elementary school but we didn't go home for lunch.
    That seems to have become more and more forbidden as time goes by. My
    littles don't like to take their lunches now, it's too much trouble to
    keep up with or so they say.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cindi

    Quoted message said:

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to work


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I don't like the
    lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I don't particularly care
    for cold lunches. If I've made chili, I don't mind at all taking a piping
    hot thermos full. We have nukers at work. The Amana cmomercial units,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I don't like them and they don't operate at all or as well as mine at


    home.

    Quoted message said:

    I detest a steady stream of sandwiches at all times. I love a good
    sandwich, but only on occasion.

    Quoted message said:

    Seems my feelings about taking lunches haven't changed much since
    elementary school.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Quoted message said:

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

    I'm a loooong time out of school, but I volunteer at our local village
    library one day a week. Last year, I bought a very small microwave for a
    couple of dollars and now am not a slave to sandwiches any more. I pick up
    some Lean Quisine dinners when they are on sale, but I also make a lot of
    homemade soups and stews. I still take a sandwich on occasion, but it isn't
    my only choice. When I was in high school, there was a cafeteria, but we
    had no money to buy lunches. I brown bagged it and bought a 1/2 pint of
    milk for a nickle....that tells how long ago it was...lol...Sharon

    I remember in the late '60s, when the milks went up from 2 cents to 3
    cents. All through school, I took advantage of the subsidized milk
    prices. Sometimes I'd drink 4 or 5 milks at lunch. Lovely, delicious
    whole milk, not that watery low fat junk they have now.
    Obviously, I'm even older than you 🙂

    --Bryan

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,
    wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com says...
    ..

    Quoted message said:


    I do remember one year at one school that was going through growing pains
    (construction) and the usual cafeteria was closed. Kids were encouraged to
    bring lunches from home, but decent box lunches could be bought in the
    makeshift cafeteria, as could beverages.

    We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time, unless
    we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved (in writing)
    by our parents.

    At the high school I attended being able to leave campus was a senior
    priviege. And we took full advantage of that when we were seniors.

  12. Wayne Boatwright said:

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to
    work and I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I
    don't like the lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I
    don't particularly care for cold lunches.

    These days I prepared extra of certain dinners, saving the leftovers in
    containers that fit well in #8 paper bags. I bring those for lunch, as
    we have a microwave for reheating.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  13. Wayne Boatwright said:

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to
    work and I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I
    don't like the lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I
    don't particularly care for cold lunches.

    These days I prepared extra of certain dinners, saving the leftovers in
    containers that fit well in #8 paper bags. I bring those for lunch, as
    we have a microwave for reheating.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  14. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 05:55:16 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    biig said:

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 08:33:21p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant to
    say...

    Quoted message said:

    >> We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time,
    >> unless we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was approved
    >> (in writing) by our parents.

    Quoted message said:

    > I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile after
    > you graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I suppose. We
    > were allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in Scotland but not at
    > the third (it was 30 miles away). In North Carolina we only lived two
    > doors down from the elementary school but we didn't go home for lunch.
    > That seems to have become more and more forbidden as time goes by. My
    > littles don't like to take their lunches now, it's too much trouble to
    > keep up with or so they say.

    Quoted message said:

    > Cindi

    Quoted message said:

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to work


    and

    Quoted message said:

    I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I don't like the
    lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I don't particularly care
    for cold lunches. If I've made chili, I don't mind at all taking a piping
    hot thermos full. We have nukers at work. The Amana cmomercial units,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I don't like them and they don't operate at all or as well as mine at


    home.

    Quoted message said:

    I detest a steady stream of sandwiches at all times. I love a good
    sandwich, but only on occasion.

    Quoted message said:

    Seems my feelings about taking lunches haven't changed much since
    elementary school.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Quoted message said:

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

    I'm a loooong time out of school, but I volunteer at our local village
    library one day a week. Last year, I bought a very small microwave for a
    couple of dollars and now am not a slave to sandwiches any more. I pick up
    some Lean Quisine dinners when they are on sale, but I also make a lot of
    homemade soups and stews. I still take a sandwich on occasion, but it isn't
    my only choice. When I was in high school, there was a cafeteria, but we
    had no money to buy lunches. I brown bagged it and bought a 1/2 pint of
    milk for a nickle....that tells how long ago it was...lol...Sharon

    I remember in the late '60s, when the milks went up from 2 cents to 3
    cents. All through school, I took advantage of the subsidized milk
    prices. Sometimes I'd drink 4 or 5 milks at lunch. Lovely, delicious
    whole milk, not that watery low fat junk they have now.
    Obviously, I'm even older than you 🙂

    --Bryan

    did they come in (whatever the name is for a three-dimensional
    triangle) shape? very satisfying to stomp on and pop. i recall a
    2-cent price as well.

    your pal,
    blake


  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm a loooong time out of school, but I volunteer at our local


    village

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    library one day a week. Last year, I bought a very small microwave for


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    couple of dollars and now am not a slave to sandwiches any more. I pick


    up

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    some Lean Quisine dinners when they are on sale, but I also make a lot


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    homemade soups and stews. I still take a sandwich on occasion, but it


    isn't

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my only choice. When I was in high school, there was a cafeteria, but


    we

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    had no money to buy lunches. I brown bagged it and bought a 1/2 pint of
    milk for a nickle....that tells how long ago it was...lol...Sharon

    I remember in the late '60s, when the milks went up from 2 cents to 3
    cents. All through school, I took advantage of the subsidized milk
    prices. Sometimes I'd drink 4 or 5 milks at lunch. Lovely, delicious
    whole milk, not that watery low fat junk they have now.
    Obviously, I'm even older than you 🙂

    --Bryan

    I don't think so Bryan. This was in the mid to late fifties high school
    and our milk wasn't subsidized. I don't remember if it was whole milk, or
    low fat. I can remember when milk was delivered in bottles and they had a
    little bulge near the top of the bottle, where the cream separated. In the
    winter, this would freeze if we didn't get it into the house right away, and
    as a treat, Gramma let us eat the frozen cream with a spoon....lol....
    Sharon

  16. Oh pshaw, on Tue 16 Oct 2007 05:27:07a, biig meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Mon 15 Oct 2007 08:33:21p, Cindi - HappyMamatoThree meant
    to say...

    Quoted message said:


    > We were never allowed to go off school property during lunch time,
    > unless we lived close enough to go home for lunch and it was
    > approved (in writing) by our parents.
    >

    I graduated high school awhile after that, well I was born awhile
    after you graduated so my experience is a different lunch era I
    suppose. We were allowed to go home from lunch at two schools in
    Scotland but not at the third (it was 30 miles away). In North
    Carolina we only lived two doors down from the elementary school but
    we didn't go home for lunch. That seems to have become more and more
    forbidden as time goes by. My littles don't like to take their
    lunches now, it's too much trouble to keep up with or so they say.

    Cindi

    I hated taking my lunch to school. I still hate taking a lunch to work
    and I rarely do. Various reasons... I don't like making it, I don't
    like the lack of surprise as in "what's for lunch?", and I don't
    particularly care for cold lunches. If I've made chili, I don't mind
    at all taking a piping hot thermos full. We have nukers at work. The
    Amana cmomercial units, but I don't like them and they don't operate at
    all or as well as mine at home.

    I detest a steady stream of sandwiches at all times. I love a good
    sandwich, but only on occasion.

    Seems my feelings about taking lunches haven't changed much since
    elementary school.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.


    I'm a loooong time out of school, but I volunteer at our local
    village
    library one day a week. Last year, I bought a very small microwave for
    a couple of dollars and now am not a slave to sandwiches any more. I
    pick up some Lean Quisine dinners when they are on sale, but I also make
    a lot of homemade soups and stews. I still take a sandwich on occasion,
    but it isn't my only choice. When I was in high school, there was a
    cafeteria, but we had no money to buy lunches. I brown bagged it and
    bought a 1/2 pint of milk for a nickle....that tells how long ago it
    was...lol...Sharon

    Actually, my biggest objection to taking a lunch for work is TAKING A LUNCH
    for work. I don't like dealing with it in any way shape or form. I prefer
    a break from the office, preferably a lunch served to me in a restaurant.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    __________________________________________________

    Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
    are still free.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Janet said:

    "Miche" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are no school lunches of the type found in the US or UK, in New
    Zealand schools. "Smart lunches" (good, nutritious food -- sandwiches,
    fruit etc) are available for $2/day if the kids want them, but bringing
    your own lunch is _far_ more common, to the point where almost every kid
    does.

    Parents are welcome to come to the school at any time, whether it's to
    have lunch with their child, help out in the classroom or whatever.
    There's no rule like "one day a week" or similar -- parents show up as
    little or as often as they can and/or want to.

    Miche


    Our schools encourage parent and community volunteerism. Especially in the
    elementary schools, there are lots of parents there all the time.

    And the food is nutritious, as well as things kids actually like to eat.

    Policies and customs vary widely in the US.

    Oh, I'm sure.

    But that doesn't change the fact that there are no US-style school
    lunches in New Zealand.

    Miche

    --
    In the monastery office --
    Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
    After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.